Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  capn 
#1 ·
Hey all

my 94 eldo has about 123K on it, and currently i have 10w-40 in it because of its age, so what is the best 10w-40 oil to use in my aging caddy?

capn

#2 ·
ummm... in the owners manual for my '93 DeVille (and I realize I have the 4.9) but is says do NOT use 10W-40 in ANY new Cadillac... and the N* was in a few of the cars in '93..... it says how there are some passages in the enigne and the 10w-40 can't get to it.... I would persoanlly get that out of there ASAP....

Of course if someone that knows more about the N*, maybe can add to that, or maybe the N* will be fine with 10W-30... what does it say on the oil fill cap?

AFA oil brand, it mostly depends on the person, I personally use Mobil 1 Synthetic, but woudln't recomend that on an engine with higher miles that has had dino oil it's whole life.... in my Oldsmobile winter car (3800 V6) I just use whatever I decide, one time it was the 98cent/quart Advance Auto brand oil (made by Havoline actually) and the last time it was Mobil Drive Clean (with a quart of Lucas oil stablizer)

#4 ·
Capn,

How bad were your leaks? I lose 1-2qts of 10W-30 every 1000 miles from my 97 DeVille and I am thinking of trying 10W-40 for the first time. Have you found there to be a big difference? Any disadvantages, like slow starts? Do you use 10W-40 in winter?

Any info would be of great help!

Thanks.

#5 ·
jam224 said:
Capn,

How bad were your leaks? I lose 1-2qts of 10W-30 every 1000 miles from my 97 DeVille and I am thinking of trying 10W-40 for the first time. Have you found there to be a big difference? Any disadvantages, like slow starts? Do you use 10W-40 in winter?

Any info would be of great help!

Thanks.
my engine has roughly 123K on it and when i first did my oil change i used 10w-30 and in less than 1000 miles my check oil message came on and there aret really any GUSHING leaks but i do have the normal leaks around the oil pan, but not bad. soon as i filled up with 10w-40 it stopped leaking as much (i was told to use 40 wieght from the cadillac mechanic if i have leaks) and its been 3000 miles since i have changed and the oil message came on when it should have in the first place, i see no disadvantages to 40 wieght. and i use 40 wieght all the time now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.