Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
Despite the nav showing 91% oil life left, I decided to do an oil change, since I just got the 2005 V, and dont know when (if ever, only 2900 miles on the car) the oil was changed. And if it was, it might not have been mobil 1 put in. And I had to go under the car anyway to install the cags eliminator.

Anyway, this was one of the easiest cars on which I have ever done an oil change, and I have done alot. Everything was located well and easy to get to. Kudos to GM for leaving space in front of the oil fill spout to easily get the bottle in place to pour. Cannot say that of most other cars. My only gripe is the vertical, rather than horizontal mounting of the oil filter. As soon as you loosen it all the oil runs down around the filter, making it difficult to handle. Horizontal is nice, because the oil falls straight down into your oil pan, not down the filter. I understand though that horizontal filter location isnt always practical. It took 5.5 quarts to get to the middle of the oil level, which is where I left it. And again, unlike most other cars, I got a reading within a few minutes of shutting the engine off.

With the exception of my Maxima, this car is easier to do than any other import car I have changed.

#2 ·
I was just reading the oil change faq myself! Seems like we'll probably performing our routing maint. at the same time. Did you use the Rhino Ramps or Jack & Jack stands?
I Have cheapo hyrdaulic jack but went to Sears, Sams & Costco today to find an upgrade. I'm trying to decide b/t these two below. Do the Rhino Ramps really provide enough clearance?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11186866&search=Jack&Sp=S&Mo=20&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=Jack&Ntt=Jack&No=12&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=344333&prDeTab=2#A

#6 ·
Do the Rhino Ramps really provide enough clearance?
I use Rhino Ramps and they work great. At first I was having alot of trouble getting onto them....the car would just slide them across the garage floor. But putting them right up to the tires and sllllowwwly pulling up onto them proved to be successful. I have more than enough clearance in the front while on them. And I don’t know if I would trust anything else considering the low clearance of this car …if the car was to come down... …Death would be instantaneous.:bricks:

#3 ·
The vertical placement of the filter does suck! I used to work at The Duke of Oil in Munster, Indiana and there were TONS of cars with filter designs like that. Needless to say I always ended up covered in some kind of automotive fluid before I went home!

#4 ·
The vertical position of the filter may not be the best for you, but it is the best for your engine as it allows you to completely fill the filter with oil before installing. That way your engine starts up with full oil pressure rather than having the air trapped in the filter being pushed through your engine's oil galley.

#5 ·
My DD has a horizontal one, BUT dribbles all over suspension and other components when it's loosened ... very messy.

I loosen the V's filter and let it run straight into a tub for a couple of minutes, then wipe off and remove. MUCH better. :)

Hmm-m ... never thought of filling the filter with oil before installing ... GREAT idea! :highfive:

#7 ·
As far as the filter, there are as many experts who say filling the filter is useless as there are those who say it is crucial. Within seconds after the first start, it is full. I always fill it anyway. On my Maxima (horizontal) I fill it most of the way, then roll it so the paper absorbs the oil, then it does not run out.

Letting the oil finish running down the filter then wiping it off is about the only choice you have. My wife's Pilot is the same way.

#9 ·
I was underneath today installing the CAGS Eliminator from Mike. Thanks!
I noticed the oil filter was black. Isn't the mobile 1 filter blue? I haven't bought one yet for the V but for all of my other vehicles its been blue. Well, I think I'm going to be doing an Oil Change tomorrow cause I'm not sure if the dealer actually used Mobil 1 oil?

#13 ·
The Mobil 1 filter I just used on the V is black while the one I used on my van is gray. If you don't like the oil running all over the place you can take an awl and hammer and put a hole in the bottom of the filter. After the hole is done, losen the filter just enough to where the oil starts running out. If you are not in a hurry and can come back in 10 mins or so all of the oil will be out of the filter. This makes for a lot less mess.

#15 ·
I use ACdelco gold filters and they are black..

I have read a bunch on filters and I didnt hear of any benifit to going with mobil one filters. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I did use them in the past, but switched to ACdelco Gold filters.

Anyone?

Reed

#19 ·
I use ACdelco gold filters and they are black..

I have read a bunch on filters and I didnt hear of any benifit to going with mobil one filters. Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I did use them in the past, but switched to ACdelco Gold filters.

Anyone?

Reed
Reed, don't know if you came across this, but it sold me on the K&N filter:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Ande, here's a pretty picture:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HP-1007

#20 ·
Steve Foley had a Napa Gold filter on mines. I'm glad I got under there and changed it. I've used the Mobil 1 since 2000 though. A co-worker and I cut the M1 and a Fram in half the seen the difference and we've used M1 filters since then. He has passed on since then, but I still use them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.