Cadillac Owners Forum banner

iPhone and Cue

15K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Blastphemy 
#1 ·
My iPhone-5 Bluetooth connects to Cue for calls, however I can receive texts on the phone but I do not get the audible alert of a text, either on the phone or Cue. I get the vibrate but no sound. Same issue with Ford Sync. Sync will notify only if i am streaming music which I rarely do. Both the Cue folks and Ford Sync say it is an Apple issue. Anybody have same issue and more importantly, anyone have a solution?

Thanks, Mark

#22 ·
But Windows Phone 8 is so far ahead of iOS and Android in just about everything except availability of some apps it's almost like they must have stole it from someone.

Other than the texting and CUE, windows phone is waaaay behind Iphone and androids.....one of the major reasons you buy a smart phone is the apps. Windows Phone 8 ‘s app deficiency is legendary compared to other platforms. Want to be notified of new emails on a Windows Phone? Your only option is to hear an audio ringtone for each new message. There’s no option to see a silent pop-up, and there’s no notification center. You cannot even change the default keyboard, the default browser, the search provider. You can only save apps on to the phones storage rather than your SD card. You are stuck with the mediocre IE, the mediocre BING. My niece had one, and gave it up for it's deficiencies. I'd love to see it compete, but it has a way to go IMO.

#23 ·
Not to mention that Windows Phones have about 2-3% market share, why the CUE team wouldn't spend more time making iOS and Android phones more compatible is beyond me. Switching to the least popular phone because it works better in your car isn't much of a solution, just the least attractive and most expensive workaround.

----------

It worked for me!
I was having the same problem. I just purchased a 2015 SRX Performance and could not get the text messaging to work. Tried this now everything works great. iPhone5 with the latest OS.
Is that option only available when the phone is paired? I just looked at my iPhone 5/iOS7 and don't see 'Show Notifications'.

#3 ·
Do you have the CUE update from earlier this year? There was a major problem with bluetooth connectivity and iPhones since CUE only wanted to connect via the "handsfree" profile and not the "bluetooth audio" profile. Try to remove the device from the CUE bluetooth settings. "Forget" CUE on your iPhone and try to re-pair. If it still doesn't work, you either have an old CUE version, an old iOS version, or you have a setting on your phone preventing bluetooth audio profiles.

#5 ·
This is my understand, someone please pitch in if I'm wrong.

The way bluetooth works is there are a series of "profiles" which define how the two devices interact.

For instance there is the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).

Your phone uses this profile to tell CUE what is the name and info of the track being played, how to pause/play etc.

If you're listening to the radio, or a CD, or a thumbdrive (basically anything other than bluetooth streaming), and you get a text on your phone, how is CUE supposed to know that the phone wants to play a text alert, as opposed to any other audio it might want to stream, your music, etc? One wouldn't want CUE to stream music from your phone while you're listening to the radio. Think about the "source" on your tv. If you tv is set to "cable" and you're watching cable, you don't expect sounds from the dvd player to be layered on top of it.

So there needs to be a profile that allows the phone to tell CUE that it has an alert, not just audio to stream. Now there are these profiles:

"The Phone Alert Status profile (PASP) and Alert notification profile (ANP) allows a client device (e.g. a wristwatch) to receive notifications from another device (e.g. a phone)."

The problem is, they're part of Bluetooth LE which is really new, and not widely supported.

Unless CUE gets updated to support Bluetooth LE (and you have a new enough phone), CUE won't be able to play notification sounds unless you are set to bluetooth streaming. The reason that works, is CUE is just playing everything streaming from the phone. The text message comes in, the phone itself layers the alert onto the streaming audio, not CUE.

#6 ·
Unless CUE gets updated to support Bluetooth LE (and you have a new enough phone), CUE won't be able to play notification sounds unless you are set to bluetooth streaming. The reason that works, is CUE is just playing everything streaming from the phone. The text message comes in, the phone itself layers the alert onto the streaming audio, not CUE.
First, thanks for the interesting links.

But there must be another way because Windows Phone does notify you thru CUE of text messages and can read them to you thru the car's audio system. But its not like you describe because I do not stream music from my phone. CUE appears to just simply interupt whatever audio source is active (radio or SD card in my case) and pass the phone's audio notifications and prompts thru the car's speakers. My point being, it is possible for CUE 1.0 to do what the OP wants. Windows Phone just seems to be able to do that out of the box, while iPhones and Androids don't. So I have to conclude that since CUE works great with a more modern phone OS, its the phones that are lacking rather than CUE. And that nobody has to replace their car or wait for a vaporware update to CUE. They just need the right phone or find and install an app to let their Android phone (and maybe iPhone) work with CUE for text messages.

#10 ·
Thank you for the responses, although I must admit I don't understand much of it. I am not a tech guy, but I do know that the iPhone 5 is very popular worldwide and I would think major auto manufacturers would try to make their system work with the iPhone. I do not care if I receive my texts through Cue. I would be fine with being notified though the phone, but apparently while connected to Bluetooth, which works well, the iPhone thinks the notification should be through Cue.

Also, I should not have to change phones to get a basic feature like text notifications to work. Not that big a deal and I can live with this. But after buying a "world class" car like the ATS (which I really enjoy driving) and the world's best selling smart phone, should I have to?

#12 ·
Okay so in the CUE manual it says:

Bluetooth
From the Bluetooth screen button,
the following may be displayed:

- Add New Device: Press to add a
new device.

- Device Management: Press to
connect to a different phone
source, disconnect a phone,
or delete a phone.

- Ringtones: Press to change the
ring tone for the specific phone.
The phone does not need to be
connected to change the
ring tone.

- Voice Mail Numbers: This
feature displays the voice mail
number for all connected
phones. The voice mail number
may be changed by pressing the
EDIT button, typing in the new
number, and pressing SAVE.
Press the [ Back screen button
to go back to the previous menu.

- Text Message Alerts: This
feature will turn text message
alerts on or off. Press Text
Message Alerts and then select
OFF or ON. Press the [ Back
screen button to go back to the
previous menu. See Text
Messaging on page 97.
My CUE (I have the 2013 premium w/ Nav) doesn't have that last option, "Text Alerts", the very last thing on my list is "Voice Mail Numbers".

My theory is IF I did have that option, and I went on my wife's iPhone (as I stated above) to

Settings > Bluetooth > press (i) next to device name

That "show notifications" would show up.

So Mark ATS, I wonder if you have "text alerts" in

CUE > settings > bluetooth

and if you have the above iphone setting, and what each one is set to.

I am not sure how to figure out why I don't even have "text alerts" listed ... is that an extra option, or is that not included w/ nav?

#14 ·
Do you have iOS 7 on your iphone? That one had a blue (i) next to the device name "CADILLAC CUE", but if you have iOS 6, it might not have anything next to it, you may just have to click on the name to get the options. I'm not sure about iOS 6 because my wife's phone is updated to 7 (and she hates the new colors).

If you can get into those options on your phone for "CADILLAC CUE", you may be able to change the "Show notifications" setting (if it shows up) and then maybe the phone itself will ding when you get a text, since you don't have "text alerts" on your CUE.

But I really want to know why neither you nor I have "text alerts" listed on our CUE bluetooth settings.

#18 ·
Re: iPhone and Cue Bluetooth Name

We have a 2013 SRX. The programming was just updated to the latest code. My wife and I both have iPhones. I have 5S and she has a 5C, however, CUE registered both phone as iPhone 5. How do we a) Tell them apart; b) change the names?

And yes, the incoming calls go to the Phones 1st.

#20 ·
Re: iPhone and Cue Bluetooth Name

We have a 2013 SRX. The programming was just updated to the latest code. My wife and I both have iPhones. I have 5S and she has a 5C, however, CUE registered both phone as iPhone 5. How do we a) Tell them apart; b) change the names?

And yes, the incoming calls go to the Phones 1st.
Hi lkfamo,

I can see where that would be confusing. It looks like pever already gave you some good advice. If you require any additional assistance with your CUE, you can always contact our Infotainment team at 855-428-3669. They are our experts on the CUE and are open from 8am to 10pm EST, seven days a week.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#19 ·
lkfamo said:
We have a 2013 SRX. The programming was just updated to the latest code. My wife and I both have iPhones. I have 5S and she has a 5C, however, CUE registered both phone as iPhone 5. How do we a) Tell them apart; b) change the names? And yes, the incoming calls go to the Phones 1st.
On you iPhone: General | About | Name and enter a name unique to each user. That then appears on CUE

#24 · (Edited)
bmcleod said:
------- Is that option only available when the phone is paired? I just looked at my iPhone 5/iOS7 and don't see 'Show Notifications'.
Not sure what you mean by paired. Phone is paired with car but not connected at the moment (car is in garage - not running) Bluetooth on phone is active but 'not connected' with any device. CADILLAC CUE in Bluetooth settings indicates 'not connected' but I have access to the settings by touching the (i).

I'm on mobile so not sure what you drive. It appears that different cars send out different Bluetooth stacks. My other devices have different options available in their settings. I had CADILLAC CUE in my Bluetooth settings all along but didn't think to check settings of CADILLAC CUE itself.

#25 ·
I have a 2015 SRX Premium and iPhone 5S. I just looked at my Cadillac Cue on the iPhone 5S Bluetooth and it has the Notifications option. It was turned off so I turn in on. I have not test in the car yet. But in the past I had not been getting the beep for text messages.

#28 ·
If you have an Apple iPhone or iPod (like I do), then just be aware that Cadillac and C.U.E. isn't for you. The ability of C.U.E. to interface and interact with Android phones is far superior, and Cadillac engineers want nothing to do with Apple functionality. Since I'm a bit of a squeaky wheel, I managed to get to some very higher-ups at Cadillac and was able to speak to two engineers (about C.U.E.'s inability to sort tracks, albums, and artists properly by the ID3 sort field on an iPhone or iPod), and their attitude was, basically, "f&&k Apple."

The fact that MS Windows lovers are programming C.U.E. tells you everything you need to know about why it's such a flawed GUI.

#29 ·
My iphone 5 works even better in the 2015 models, I don't know where you got your info from. I have been working on these since they launched and they have come a long way since late 2012.
I use my iphone3gs and my ipad 3 as back up Bluetooth devices. Both work just as good, but with wifi and powermat, my phone really is slick. One of our salespersons just got their iphone 6 today, and next week we are going to sit down and play around with it.
As I told the service engineers that came out to visit with me on several occasions over the summer, I wish my ipad could be used to interface with the vehicle either wired or Bluetooth and get away from the old school pc's.
They have me working on rockets with a hammer and chisel over here.

#33 ·
My iphone 5 works even better in the 2015 models, I don't know where you got your info from.
I got my info first-hand from trying to use my iPhone 5 and iPod Classic in my ELR since February. My friend plugged in his Samsung and the interoperability was worlds beyond what my iPhone could do. And, more importantly, the music tracks (songs, artists, albums, composers, etc.) were listed in the correct order, unlike with my iPhone and iPod. The HMI completely messes up the order by indexing Apple devices into the ELR's memory and then ignoring all ID3 sort tags (and sorting everything beginning with "The," "A," "An," "(," and "#" together instead of in their proper alphabetical list position).

When I contacted Cadillac and finally worked my way up the internal ladder, the end result was the engineers effectively saying, "Too bad; go buy an Android phone. We have no plans to fix this even though we acknowledge it's messed up."

#30 ·
But Jason, what does that say about the inherent design of CUE if it takes new hardware to refine basic functionality. One of the main purposes of an operating system is to abstract the underlying hardware so that applications built on the platform continue to be compatible, and that new features can be added without regard to what's running underneath. I'll be interested in how your iPhone 6 tests come out, but how it works on a 2015 doesn't help me (or most of the others here), I don't hold out much hope than to have a quirky, semi-functional system that doesn't appear to be supported. I do admire however that you are interested enough to explore and work with the systems to find what they can do and to try and make them better.

#32 ·
bmcleod said:
But Jason, what does that say about the inherent design of CUE if it takes new hardware to refine basic functionality. One of the main purposes of an operating system is to abstract the underlying hardware so that applications built on the platform continue to be compatible, and that new features can be added without regard to what's running underneath. I'll be interested in how your iPhone 6 tests come out, but how it works on a 2015 doesn't help me (or most of the others here), I don't hold out much hope than to have a quirky, semi-functional system that doesn't appear to be supported. I do admire however that you are interested enough to explore and work with the systems to find what they can do and to try and make them better.
I understand but if you compare prior audio systems and both the cars and trucks, you had what you have and NOTHING CAN BE PROGRAMMED. At least with these systems, I can fix Bluetooth errors, screen errors , update navigation data, download things straight from tis2web, that were never available before. If a bulletin came out for a concern, it would be at least 6 months for a customer to wait, then we would be shipped a DVD or USB stick to upgrade small issues. But the fact is that the software was already to old and more new issues came up.
Think how fast the new phones come out and how adaptable the vehicle software has to be to keep up.
For example in 2005 the new sts came out and it was tested and certified for 3 phones to work with Bluetooth. By the time the car hit the showrooms , two of those phones were out of production and the only phone left was outdated.
It is very difficult to have everything work correctly with every car, but at least we have several tools now at the technicians hands to keep the vehicle up to date , like when you get a software notification on your iphone.
I am sure that the upgrade features that were designed for cue/my link/intellilink have changed since launch.
When I was being trained for these, I was told to be able to Bluetooth connect several devices AT THE SAME TIME, and the apps would be upgraded , and finally the vehicle personalization would be recognized by your cell phone, not remote. Of course, now we know those not to be true, but for now? If things change , who's to say we can't swap hardware for updates or upgrade entire systems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.