Cadillac Owners Forum banner

$45000 car with no GPS?!?!

12K views 72 replies 21 participants last post by  gohawks63 
#1 ·
I really want the new XTS but I'm not willing to go over about 46k or even higher than 519 in a lease. To be honest, it angers the hell out of me that Cadillac is so greedy that you are forced to pay 50k in order to get GPS.

Do you guys think they they will start offering GPS as a standard option in the next year?

It's really sad because I can go and get a very nice Hyundai Genesis or Volkswagen CC with everything for way less. 20k cars have GPS and leather. WTF. But I can wait a year if i have to, if they'll offer it.

#36 ·
DTS man33 said:
I remember my first GPS in my 2000 Deville DTS. It was Cadillac's first nav system and at the time it was awesome. I remember when I got the car in 2002 showing friends and co-workers the system and almost everyone said it was a waste of money and who needs that when you could just use a map. Now people can not live without having some sorta GPS in their car. The one I had on my 2000 was CD-ROM and had 12 discs that came with it for differnet areas of the US. Luxo car buyers now do not know how nice they have it. lol

But one thing I do think should of been included on the base XTS is at least heated seats. I mean at $45K who thinks of Cadillac not having heated seats. Even more so a supposed range topper like the XTS.
Agree on the heated seats. Should be a given

#38 ·
CAPT Mike said:
Buy a BMW and you'll have to fork over more $$ for heated seats. If you want it all - options that is - buy a Ford Taurus SHO for 45K. You want the luxury car, a Cadillac, BMW, MB? You've got to put out more $$ for additonal bells and whistles.
Yeah, I know . My wife's daily driver is a 2011 BMW X5. Ours has the premium, comfort and tech package that includes all of the goodies, but the base model doesn't include heated seats or even Homelink for that matter (which is inexcusable IMO).

#41 ·
Yeah, I know; BMW calls them SAV not SUV. Unless you have the V8 version (I had the 35d version), performance SUV is an oxymoron. Both vehicles are AWD, HP is about the same (as my 35d), techno laden, about the same. Now the Porsche SUV is a performance SUV as one would expect for 95K.

#42 ·
CAPT Mike said:
Yeah, I know; BMW calls them SAV not SUV. Unless you have the V8 version (I had the 35d version), performance SUV is an oxymoron. Both vehicles are AWD, HP is about the same (as my 35d), techno laden, about the same. Now the Porsche SUV is a performance SUV as one would expect for 95K.
I don't know abut that. Maybe it's comparable between the 35d and the XTS. I have the turbo inline 6 gasoline version of the X5. That thing scoots and corners flat and tight. HP may be the same, but seat of the pants feels like it may even be quicker than my CTS and my CTS has 318 HP. BMW is notorious for understating their HP numbers.

#44 ·
Or, from an ex-BMW owner (1984 318i, 2003 330xi,2006 530xi, 2006 M3, 2011 X5 35d), you believe the BMW hype about being a driver's car. From my ownership experience the M3 was a let down, power wise; the X5 with the turbo diesel was quite torquey and had some power even more so that the X5 with the turbo 6 that you refer to. BTW, the seat of your pants effect is only valid if it compelled you to change your underwear following a run:histeric:

#45 ·
CAPT Mike said:
Or, from an ex-BMW owner (1984 318i, 2003 330xi,2006 530xi, 2006 M3, 2011 X5 35d), you believe the BMW hype about being a driver's car. From my ownership experience the M3 was a let down, power wise; the X5 with the turbo diesel was quite torquey and had some power even more so that the X5 with the turbo 6 that you refer to. BTW, the seat of your pants effect is only valid if it compelled you to change your underwear following a run:histeric:
Well this is my first BMW, and didn't start out with the intent of buying one. I believe no one's hype and rely on my personal experiences, and for the time i have owned it, it feels sportier than any SUV I have owned (and i have owned plenty). It was a replacement for my wife's 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser that served us faithfully for 160k miles. We planned to downsize and my wife liked the looks of the X5. Compared with the Land Cruiser which had no "sport" about it, unless you took it off road, the X5 is definitely more fun to drive, again as far as SUVs go. Having said that, the Germans definitely have a unique way of designing their vehicles that takes some getting used to.

I bought it as a CPO and really don't plan to own it much beyond when the CPO warranty runs out. I have no illusions that it will give me the same level of reliability the Land Cruiser did. It's been trouble free for three months I have owned it, but just like sport and Land Cruiser didn't got together, neither does reliability and BMW go together either.

----------

Ludacrisvp said:
Perhaps everyone else overstates it? :)
It's likely just that BMW has more of a flattened out power band that gives more even power throughout the rpm range making you feel like its got more power than it's peak power implies.
That is a good point. The power does feel more immediate, and there is virtually no lag from the turbo.

#46 ·
Toyota to BMW. Your seat of the pants comparison is accurate:) As far as reliability, the probability of problems is the luck of the draw. The biggest problem is in the cost of service. Check your book and you will find major services at 25K miles. If you are beyond your service warranty, you can expect to pay $750-1000 dependent on where you live. That was my main concern having rebuilt the 318i for my son back in 2000 and knowing how much parts cost, special tools, etc. and that was an easy car to work on with minimal electronics. I wouldn't and didn't attempt to do work on the newer BMW's and hence when the fourth year of warranty was closing in, I was deciding on which new vehicle to buy. The X5 was nice looking but it was actually less roomy compared to my '06 530xi with the exception that the second row of seats folded down. I used it once 'cause I have my old trusty F-150 for hauling stuff. And last but not least, I bought the diesel to try to be green. I averaged 25 mpg. Shortly after I bought it, diesel prices went soaring and around where I live in PA, diesel averages 65 cents more per gallon than regular, making the Cadillac "greener" to my wallet.

#47 ·
CAPT Mike said:
Toyota to BMW. Your seat of the pants comparison is accurate:) As far as reliability, the probability of problems is the luck of the draw. The biggest problem is in the cost of service. Check your book and you will find major services at 25K miles. If you are beyond your service warranty, you can expect to pay $750-1000 dependent on where you live. That was my main concern having rebuilt the 318i for my son back in 2000 and knowing how much parts cost, special tools, etc. and that was an easy car to work on with minimal electronics. I wouldn't and didn't attempt to do work on the newer BMW's and hence when the fourth year of warranty was closing in, I was deciding on which new vehicle to buy. The X5 was nice looking but it was actually less roomy compared to my '06 530xi with the exception that the second row of seats folded down. I used it once 'cause I have my old trusty F-150 for hauling stuff. And last but not least, I bought the diesel to try to be green. I averaged 25 mpg. Shortly after I bought it, diesel prices went soaring and around where I live in PA, diesel averages 65 cents more per gallon than regular, making the Cadillac "greener" to my wallet.
I hear you on the cost of service. I still have 16k miles on the service warranty and I am undecided if I should purchase the extension of that. I think I was quoted a little over $2k when I bought it, and given when the car would be due for brakes and other service, it was a toss-up on whether I would get my money's worth. For example, Front brake service was recently performed and according to the computer, the rears are due before the service warranty expires. Given the extended oil change intervals, and when the computer is calling for certain service, when I did the math, it looked like at best I would break even.

#48 ·
The bigger question is whether you are going to keep the X5 past 16K miles. I did the math also for all my BMW's and you will come up on the short end of the stick. I did not go for the extension because 4 years is more than I can stand one vehicle (except my Vette and my Harley) :) If you want to keep it, haggle with the dealer on the price. You should be able to get it for around 15-1650 for the extended warranty. Remember, it's oil changes, brake fluid changes, major checkup at 25 and 50K miles (alone will cost around 1500 for both), rear brakes, transmission service, cooling system service, fuel/air/cabin filters, and if any electrical gremlin pops up, well you get the idea.

#49 ·
CAPT Mike said:
The bigger question is whether you are going to keep the X5 past 16K miles. I did the math also for all my BMW's and you will come up on the short end of the stick. I did not go for the extension because 4 years is more than I can stand one vehicle (except my Vette and my Harley) :) If you want to keep it, haggle with the dealer on the price. You should be able to get it for around 15-1650 for the extended warranty. Remember, it's oil changes, brake fluid changes, major checkup at 25 and 50K miles (alone will cost around 1500 for both), rear brakes, transmission service, cooling system service, fuel/air/cabin filters, and if any electrical gremlin pops up, well you get the idea.
I have a CPO warranty for the next 4 years or 100k miles so I'm covered on repairs. It's the maintenance contract I'm talking about.

Well I have a little over a year or 16k miles to think about that.

Sorry for hijacking this thread

#51 ·
I was referring to maintenance not what's warranted on your CPO contract. BTW, if you join the BMW Car Club of America, the gurus/tech advisers will strongly recommend that if you plan to keep the BMW vehicle that you change the oil more frequently than every 15000 amongst other items. Again, it is up to you regarding how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

----------

never mind no gps on a $45K car. They don't even give you a spare tire anymore!
When was the last time you had a flat tire? Why carry weight (tire + jack) around for nothing? Besides, Cadillac gives you 5 or 6 years of emergency service (gas, flats, lockout, etc) as well as the compressor and "Slime." BTW, no spare is not new. The 2006 BMW M3, that I bought new, came with std/non-runflats tires - no spare - just the German version of a compressor and (I guess)"German Slime." Did I forget to mention that the car cost $66K?

#52 ·
^^^^
Yeah, but with a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without....the last time I had a flat, I had to wait two hours for a tow in a snowstorm.

No, thanks. GPS I can live without in a luxury car, but this tendency toward no spares is where I draw the line.

#53 ·
neuronbob said:
^^^^
Yeah, but with a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without....the last time I had a flat, I had to wait two hours for a tow in a snowstorm.

No, thanks. GPS I can live without in a luxury car, but this tendency toward no spares is where I draw the line.
The fix-a-flat is worthless if you have a blowout. I have been contemplating buying a spare for my coupe. I would prefer run flats instead. My preference would be spare > RFTs > compressor with fix-a-flat.

#54 ·
Blowouts are non-existent with today's high quality tires. If you buy no name specials at your low cost tire store, maybe.

As for nails in tires, yes that happens. A Hankook on my V is patched. As is a Michelin on my Town Car.

So I keep a tire plug kit in my V. Anyone can do this, with little practice. If the tire is in the front, you don't need to even to remove it.

#55 ·
If you buy no name specials at your low cost tire store, maybe.
I don't think I'll ever understand why people always skimp out on the what are basically the two most important safety features of the car. Being brakes and tires. Get a quality set of both and you may end up saving lives. Quality tires and brakes are always cheaper than dealing with accidents and possible life long injury or death.
I also believe all cars should run LED brake lights as they turn on faster thereby increasing the amount of time the person behind you has to react to your actions (or you to the person in front of you). The .5 second difference in time can be like 60 feet of additional warning time. That can mean the difference between colliding and not.

#57 ·
thebigjimsho said:
I'm running Hankook evos on my V. In part because so many people were raving about them. They are excellent tires, but they aren't as good as the pricier Michelins. That, to me, is about the cheapest I'll ever get in buying tires. And that's still $800/set. When I go to Town Fair Tire or ebay and see these uber-cheap tires, I cringe...
I agree on not skimping on tires? just replaced the tires on my son's 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S (V6). That car comes with 18" Michelin HX MXM4 (same as what is on my CTS coupe), except they aren't staggered on the Mazda. The Michelins cost me $1,400 mounted, balanced, tax and disposal with the road hazard warranty, minus the $70 rebated from Discount Tire. They were the most expensive tire and I contemplated less expensive, but the Michelins are what came with the car.

As for the tire repair kit, I have done that before, but recently my wife had a flat on her truck. My son went out there with a portable compressor to try to get enough air in the tire to get to a place to repair it. It wouldn't hold air and what punctured it was like a hollow tube so the air would go right through it. The fix-a-flat stuff wouldn't have worked for her and I don't see my wife repairing the tire on the side of the road. She ended up calling AAA to replace the tire (the vehicle was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with oversized tires). That's why I'm glad her current car has run-flats.

#58 ·
As for the tire repair kit, I have done that before, but recently my wife had a flat on her truck. My son went out there with a portable compressor to try to get enough air in the tire to get to a place to repair it. It wouldn't hold air and what punctured it was like a hollow tube so the air would go right through it. The fix-a-flat stuff wouldn't have worked for her and I don't see my wife repairing the tire on the side of the road. She ended up calling AAA to replace the tire (the vehicle was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with oversized tires). That's why I'm glad her current car has run-flats.
If a tube punctured the tire and it was over 3/8" in diameter, it's unlikely that anything would help. What would have saved time would have been if your son looked at the tire. Since he came out to your wife, he could have brought a jack to lift the vehicle and rotate the tire. If he saw a "smaller" tube size and if he had a plugger, he could have plugged the tire, "SLIMED" with the green slime meant for tubeless tires and pumped her up. You may still have needed a new tire, but your wife would have been able to roll away. Runflats have a very stiff sidewall and cost more - ride suffers. I've been driving for 50 years and I have had one flat from a vandal's ice pick while parked and another from a nail that resulted in a slow leak that I plugged and ran over 30000 more miles on that tire. I'll play the odds and when I get new tires, put the difference into a higher quality tire like Michelin, etc.

#59 ·
CAPT Mike said:
If a tube punctured the tire and it was over 3/8" in diameter, it's unlikely that anything would help. What would have saved time would have been if your son looked at the tire. Since he came out to your wife, he could have brought a jack to lift the vehicle and rotate the tire. If he saw a "smaller" tube size and if he had a plugger, he could have plugged the tire, "SLIMED" with the green slime meant for tubeless tires and pumped her up. You may still have needed a new tire, but your wife would have been able to roll away. Runflats have a very stiff sidewall and cost more - ride suffers. I've been driving for 50 years and I have had one flat from a vandal's ice pick while parked and another from a nail that resulted in a slow leak that I plugged and ran over 30000 more miles on that tire. I'll play the odds and when I get new tires, put the difference into a higher quality tire like Michelin, etc.
My son was barely 16 at the time, he was just learning how to drive much less be able to change a flat on that beast. hecould have brought a floor jack, but the Land Cruiser is a 3 ton vehicle. I changed a flat on it once using the standard jack and it was a bit unnerving. The tires are also pretty big and heavy. The tire was able to be saved with a patch from the inside.

My wife now has BMW X5 with run flats. I had read people complaining of the ride, but honestly it's really not that bad. Replacement cost is another. Thing, but as I posted earlier, I am used to pricey tires.

#60 ·
My "kids" are 30, 37, 40 and 41, but I remember when they were 16. Helpless. But that's another story. The X5 I traded had runflats and the ride is diffferent with std tires but not horrendous as some have complained about. The difference, for example, for Michelin Sport A/S vs RunFlat for a set of four is only 4o to 60 dollars so it's pricey either way you go.

#64 ·
Yes, they really are good kids. Wait till they are older, have their own kids and come to your house for a festive occasion. You are sitting around and having a drink with the "kids" and out comes the tales of truth of what they did as teenagers. As a military person, there were times that I was not at home and the little darlings would take my Vette or Harley out for a ride or a car I just restored (70 1/2 Camaro, 64 Impala SS,etc) to show off and occasionally cause a little damage to my toys and the scrambling to get it fixed before the DADA came home. Or the time they almost burned down the barn when we were stationed in CA. Oh the list goes on. I can laugh at it all now. Good luck, my friend :)

#65 ·
CAPT Mike said:
Yes, they really are good kids. Wait till they are older, have their own kids and come to your house for a festive occasion. You are sitting around and having a drink with the "kids" and out comes the tales of truth of what they did as teenagers. As a military person, there were times that I was not at home and the little darlings would take my Vette or Harley out for a ride or a car I just restored (70 1/2 Camaro, 64 Impala SS,etc) to show off and occasionally cause a little damage to my toys and the scrambling to get it fixed before the DADA came home. Or the time they almost burned down the barn when we were stationed in CA. Oh the list goes on. I can laugh at it all now. Good luck, my friend :)
Oh I am sure. My parents were for the "old country" and pretty strict and we still found out ways to "do stuff" and we too have shared stories with my parents about the things we did. Appreciate it. :)

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.