Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Test drove a SRT-8 Cherokee...

7K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  concorso 
#1 ·
Test drove a brand new 07 SRT-8 cherokee today...I thought it would be a little more practical than my V for my kids. Here are my thoughts:

Very dissapointed! I expected so much more from this vehicle. The fit and finish was horrible with no real special accents that you would expect from a specialty vehicle. In a nutshell, my likes and dislikes:

Disliked:

- Cheap feeling plastic EVREYWHERE! You guys complain about our interior! Cheap feeling steering wheel, shifter, e brake and plastic door handles. Even the seat inserts felt cheap. Piller handles had poor fitting screw covers that came off while I drove.

- No special interior special touches like srt-8 door sills or badging

- Rough ride

- Top heavy, mushy handling was not even close to my V with fg2

- Auto trans did not really make for any fun...power was there but did not give the same rush as my V.

- $4000 Gas Guzzler tax (new to Canada this year!)

Liked:

- Exterior looks/styling

- Supportive seats

- Bluetooth, Back up camera, rear DVD and overall electronic options

All in all, I left the dealership very happy with my V and enjoyed the 40 minute drive home! I understand that they are very different vehicles but I still expected more than what I saw. If you had to get a SUV, it may be an OK choice but to replace the V, z06 or any other performance car would be a no go imho!

P.S. They only offered me $23,000 for my 05 with 24,000 miles on it against a price of $62,000 (cdn, tax incl) for the Cherokee! :bighead:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, they're actually quite good vehicles, but you hit the nail on the head with one thing...the interior quality, and even looks, as with so many current Chrysler products, is AWFUL.

If they improved just one thing, it should be to revise the interior look and then completely re-build it out of solid, quality (some padded, some firm, nice textures and trim, etc.) materials throughout. Enough of the hard as rocks generic tupperware stuff that fits together poorly and usually makes more noise than anything else.

Otherwise, really a ran of the SRT-8...they're just cool, if honestly, a bit more than most people want to pony up for.

#16 ·
yeah, I dont think the SRT8 is at all fit for off-roading, even if you replace the supercar tires with something more to the task. but the one I broke was a mid 90's laredo, and I NEVER even took it off road. i just remember being like :wtf:

you know, the laredo I had was a V8, dont remember the power, but it was no slouch. I embarassed a mustang 5.0 once who wasnt payin attention.

#17 ·
We've got a 2002 Dinan Performance Package X5 4.6iS pushing somewhere around 369hp and Id gladly give up the slight numbers difference between the two trucks for the X5's *vastly* superior fit, finish and handling, even if it is built in SC. The SRT8 looks impressive from the outside, but thats about it.

The CTS-V is obviously in an entirely different class, but so much more car overall.

#25 ·
We've got a 2002 Dinan Performance Package X5 4.6iS pushing somewhere around 369hp and Id gladly give up the slight numbers difference between the two trucks for the X5's *vastly* superior fit, finish and handling, even if it is built in SC. The SRT8 looks impressive from the outside, but thats about it.

The CTS-V is obviously in an entirely different class, but so much more car overall.
HAHAHAHAHA! X5 sucks, those miserable cars are about as comfortable as a Pogostick. :thepan:

They may have better fit and finish than a Jeep, but that's where it ends.

Hope you wear your back brace in that POS.

#18 ·
I bought a Trailblazer SS for its winter capabilities. I looked at the Jeeps, but their aftermarket isn't very good. Plus I like having the LS2. I'm very confident that my SS will beat 95% of the Jeep Srt's right now and its all bolt ons so far. Its not as fun as driving the V, but I'll bet that it will beat 95% of the V's in the quarter by next spring.

#23 ·
I definately agree that the Jeep is a better looking vehicle inside and out. The aftermarket was the main reason I didn't go with it. Along with the fact that the rear seat hip room is a foot narrower. I have a child seat in the middle and an adult can sit on either side. That wouldn't happen in the Jeep. Also, for whatever reason the Jeeps cargo area is 1/2 the size of the Trailblazers.

Having a RPM built tranny along with a Vigilante 3400 stall makes a night and day difference in the tranny. I'm happy with the SS but it certainly has a few shortcomings that need to be addressed.

#24 ·
I definately agree that the Jeep is a better looking vehicle inside and out. The aftermarket was the main reason I didn't go with it. Along with the fact that the rear seat hip room is a foot narrower. I have a child seat in the middle and an adult can sit on either side. That wouldn't happen in the Jeep. Also, for whatever reason the Jeeps cargo area is 1/2 the size of the Trailblazers.
That also surprised me as well about the storage between the two vehicles. By looking at them I would think the Jeep would have more storage but I guess they are using bigger seats and a bigger dash or something. Another issue with the SRT-8's though is the price. I've only really checked out one of them at a dealership and they wanted $40k for it while the TB SS I test drove was something like $30k, so the price prices comes into the equation as well.

Having a RPM built tranny along with a Vigilante 3400 stall makes a night and day difference in the tranny. I'm happy with the SS but it certainly has a few shortcomings that need to be addressed.
Well since your an owner of a TB SS I have a question for ya. I'm guessing you hangout on a TB SS forum or something but has there been any talks at all about a revamping of the TB SS wether it be a redesign, different engine, etc?

#30 ·
Chrysler is not in Cadillac's class, its a truth, but SRT8 is not as good as Cayenne Turbo etc, but it is cheaper and has got N/A engine so you can put much more hp to it. Interior quality is not good, even we had 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7, I hate some parts of our car. For example front console, doors insides, steering wheel , seats , armrest are both leather. The roof cloth has got great color and quality too. When you come to trunk, it changes. It has got plastic, it is hard but it has got quality, not cheap plastic. But when we come to center console, especially Automatic Transmission lever, it is rubbish. Very cheap plastic and swinging armrest with creaking noise when you push it hard. But not so bad, overall quality is very good, Chrysler had got workmanship issues in the past, today it is passed but now they reduced the interior quality very much. New Grand Cherokee to compared old, its very very different, new is looking like cheap korean cars, like Kia Sorento. ( Maybe you didnt heard this car before in Canada, I dont think they are selling that wreck in developed Countries like Canada, USA etc. )

Even if you compare MK1 CTS-V with Chrysler, you cant find any car for it. Because Chrysler has got NOTHİNG to offer against CTS, M3 or etc. Dodge Charger&Challenger is way more bigger, comfortable , cheaper traditional muscle cars. ( In fact, when the Muscle cars era was living on the earth, that cars were very very luxury against European rivals I think, they were leader , I cannot sure which time it was, but today, Mopar's economical situation forced to desing Muscle cars again and sell it, they are using the old legend ) . 300C SRT8 is a different offer against Bmw M5, E63 Amg , but still it cant beat them in quality and not fast as them. ( And also Chrysler is not matched with those marques, it is very cheap, M5 or E63 amg doubles the price of SRT8 in truth, you if you buy SRT8 for 45.000$ and spend 35.000$ on it, you will get faster and much better looking car than those I think. ) , the only choice of Americans beat those super sedans is Cadillac STS-V ( Which is faster and better handle than MB E class ) and upcoming CTS-V maybe...( In fact, old CTS-V is fine match up with E46 M3. But new CTS has got much power than M3, RS4 or C63 Amg, also it has got more power than E63, M5 , but CTS wasnt in the class of 3 series or something? And If Cadillac decided to CTS as rival of M5, then what will Cadillac put against Bmw 3 series? BLS-V?

#32 ·
Well it's kinda hard to make out what your saying, but Cadillac is not comparing the CTS to the 5 series. The CTS is Cadillac's entry level car so it would be compared to the 3 series while the STS would be compare to the 5 series. When it comes to the V series then who the hell knows what they're trying to compare it too. The only thing that compares to the XLR-V would be the SL AMG series or the M6. The STS-V "should" be compared to the M5 but it never is, it just seems to be the odd ball of the group. The CTS-V should technically be compared to the M3 but it's always compared to the M5. As for the BLS who the hell knows. 99% of this forum is people from the USA so we really have next to no clue as to what the BLS is even about. From what I remember about the BLS it seems that would be more closely compared to something like the C series from Mercedes or the 1 series from BMW but I could be wrong with that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.