Cadillac Owners Forum banner

SRX died today

10K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  PCA 
#1 ·
I got in my 2010 SRX today and the DIC said "No Remote Detected". I took the remote out of my pocket and it still said that. I pushed the Start button and just a click. Tried several more times and the same thing. No radio, no interior lighting, nothing....including OnStar. I called the local Caddy dealer and they sent someone over and jump started it. I drove it to the dealership and they did a full diagnostic on it and couldn't find anything! At first I thought it was going to be the battery but it checked out fine along with every thing.

I know this car is several computers on a network on wheels but I find this type of thing scary. The dealer service people told me they had seen this type of thing before but were at a loss as to what was going on. Clearly there is some sort of software glitch(es) to be ironed out.

#2 ·
Glad you're still able to use the car. This happened to us a couple of times last fall (including multiple messages of "No Remote Detected"). Last time, it definitely was the battery. I was told the battery doesn't last more than three years (ours was 26 months). Once the battery does goes for good, you won't have access to OnStar. Thankfully, I was carrying a cell phone.

Good luck

#3 ·
Hello stevec5375,

I apologize for your SRX issues you are dealing with. I understand how software glitches can be scary when OnStar doesn't work for you. I am glad you had your cell phone and were able to get in contact with the Caddy dealership who sent someone over to jump start your vehicle. If there is anything you would like to further discuss, please reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#5 ·
Mine died last week the day after I purchased it! The first test showed battery was ok and the alternator was hit and miss, the 2nd test showed the battery was the problem (vehicle is 2 yrs & 10 months old) Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery..........new battery and all better now. hope yours is as simple.

#6 ·
When you scroll thru the menu it says how many volts are in the battery, does that number slowly go down to give a person a heads up so I sorta know when it's time to buy a replacement? I have had my car for over 3 years and never had to replace the battery yet and I ASSUME they check that stuff when I get an oil change at the dealer, usually they have their diagnostic things they do but maybe not.

#7 ·
I haven't checked the remote's battery. My car battery is over 3 years old and our summers here in Austin are brutal with long periods of time with day temps over 100 degrees. I park outside so I'm suspecting the battery is going to be somewhat problematic even though the dealership's testing showed it "OK".

I drove the car today and had 4 stops and it worked fine.

#12 ·
Hello stevec5375,

I see you have worked with the dealer in regards to your SRX malfunctions. I understand how an intermittent issue can be annoying to deal with. I also see you spoke with the tech and were shown a printout of the diagnostic testing. I am sorry if these issues arise again. I am more than happy to help assist you throughout this process if you would like to reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
Don't know how much a new battery would cost, but it might be a good investment. Might take it to a place specializing in batteries.
They should have a load tester which simulates the load placed on the battery when starting the car. My Dad had one of these at his auto supply store. You put a load on the battery, and it should hold steady for a couple of minutes at least. If the power begins to drop, (and you can see this on the load tester), then the battery is weak.

#14 ·
New battery needed. The electronics in the vehicles today can ruin a battery real fast, not not sure where you live, but if you live in an area where the heat is bad, it shortens the life of a battery real fast. I live in Arizona, so i can relate.....Replace the fob batteries as well.......The SRX's have some of the same issues we have on Corvettes, its called "Dead Battery Syndrome"....Don't ask me how i know!!!!!!
Check out the Duralast Gold battery at Autozone Auto Parts.....

----------

Autozone can load test the battery, no charge......

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. However, I took the car to the dealership right after the problem happened and they tested everything. They said the battery was fine. It is replaceable under the warranty. The question is, "How do I get them to replace the battery when their testing equipment doesn't show it has a problem?" I don't want to pay for a new battery out of pocket if it's under warranty.

The car sits outside in our 100+ degree days and it's started fine ever since that initial mishap. Seems like if it's the battery it would have gone down again.

#17 ·
Once the battery goes dead, you have just cut the life of the battery by 40 to 50%. Your battery is going to go dead again for sure. It sounds like you live in the hot part of the country, as i mentioned earlier, heat, heat, and more heat will zapp your battery. Break down and get a new battery. You will have piece of mind.......If you don't, you are going to get stranded, and it might not be in the area you want!!!!!

#18 · (Edited)
It turns out that my battery in the SRX is fine for the time being. It was the battery in the remote that was dead. I was able to use the 2nd remote just fine and after replacing the battery in the 1st remote, it starting working and no more "Remote not Detected" error in the DIC.

(The "Remote not Detected" error was intermittent so beware.)

Since I have the keyless entry feature, I was able to place the remote with the bad battery in the bottom of the console in the indentation and get the car to start. That was my other clue that it must be the remote battery that's bad.

#20 ·
I did not need to reprogram the remote after replacing the battery. However, the battery change was done quickly. I didn't remove the old battery and leave the remote lying around for hours. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but you never know.

From the manual:
Insert the new battery, positive
side facing down. Replace with a
CR2032 or equivalent battery.

#22 ·
Well folks, it did it again. I went out to get in my SRX yesterday and when I pushed the start button it just clicked and the DIC said "2 keys detected" and the Nav screen went nuts just barely moving up and down. The engine wouldn't turn over. It's the same behavior that the first post of this thread states. The last (and first) time this happened, I thought it was the remote needing a new battery but now that appears not to be the case. I couldn't get the car to start with either FOB. This morning Caddy roadside assistance showed up and their jump start machine showed the battery had power but after he put the cables on the battery it finally started. It's at the dealer now and, of course, it started right up for them.

Like so many of you pointed out earlier in this post, I'm thinking it's the battery because my SRX sits outside and I don't drive it very much. Maybe a couple of times a week at most. The original battery that's in it is almost 4 years old. I'm hoping the diagnostics show up something because this vehicle makes me very nervous to drive now. I'm afraid of getting stranded.

#24 ·
I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon and it turns out the battery doesn't have high enough cranking amperage to turn the starter. So they replaced the battery under warranty. I'm also getting them to replace the cracked plastic battery housing while they're at it. I hope this fixes it. It's amazing how much we take our transportation for granted until we don't have its convenience anymore. :)

#25 ·
Hello stevec5375,

Thanks for providing this updated information for us. I am glad the dealer replaced your battery for you and is replacing another vehicle concern for you as well. I agree, I rely on my vehicle for multiple daily commutes! If you ever need assistance with anything else, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#28 ·
At that age (4 yrs) batteries quite often show good voltage, but fail a load test. They have 14v but no amperage to crank. I always pay extra attention that first cold morning of the year. If its 4 yrs old and there's even the slightest indication its lost cold cranking power, I get a new battery. Squeezing another month or two is tempting, but when its time, its time...

#30 ·
My Cadi SRX 2010 died when I returned from vacation. I jumped it, and it worked fine. But now I was receiving the "no remote detected" and my driver seat would not adjust. Everything else worked. I had to put my key fob in the cradle in the center console in order to start my car. I took the car to the dealership and told them all of my concerns. They charged me hundreds of dollars to do a diagnosis and "reset" the computer. Like you couldn't diagnose and reset the computer in the same hour? it took you 2 hours? So now the seat adjustments worked. I get in the car, "no remote detected" is still on. I asked them if they looked at it, oh they forgot. but it was on the paper work to check. so I had to bring it back a second time. $150 more for them to change the fuses. No remote detected has gone away now. But now, the only window that rolls down from the driver side controls is the driver window. and the side mirrors do not adjust either. but they did work when I took it in. So now I have to take it back again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.