Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What did you do to your car today?

2M views 19K replies 451 participants last post by  StarFighter1 
#1 ·
Lets keep this a continuing, never gonna die thread.

For the Toyota truck, I changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and changed the oil in it this morning. Also ran a can of seafoam through it before I changed the plugs, gotta love that huge cloud of smoke. Love how stupid easy the 22R-E is to work on. Runs a lot smoother now, and fixed my rough idle problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to wax and detail the Cadillac. Gonna be a long ass day.

#10,175 ·
I wonder what happened and what's causing this.....it's something in the rear drum brakes. But, it's intermittent...it doesn't do it all the time...

Also worth noting, I heard a similar loud bang from the rear axle last week as well. I had the car parked outside for a few days, when it had rained hard. I jumped in it and put it in gear and then heard that same noise from the rear axle. Also, my brakes don't feel as strong as they used to. There's more pedal travel before they grab.

#10,178 ·
Went to Gold Coast Cadillac today since Cadillac Mac08's DTS had a broken door handle. Looked at some cars and they had no idea where two had gone so i was like how do you loose two cars off of your lot? But one sold and the other was nothing like it said online. Oh and i fell asleep in a tattoo place haha

#10,183 ·
I was getting a a notice vibration from 60-70mph so I decided to balance my tires today. Well sure enough, both sway bar end links are broken, the driver side cv boot is busted, an my tie rods were a bit loose.

Bought the new parts and axles and getting everything installed tomorrow. Can't be too upset since the car is 13 year old with 120k on the clock. Just sucks with then unexpected find.

#10,185 ·
My TBSS has been losing air out of the rear bags at night, dropped it off with the tech.

#10,189 ·
Tomorrow is the day. I'm excited but I'm not going to get so excited that I get set up for disappointment because the car could turn out to be a piece of junk. However the sellers sounded very honest and told me everything that wasn't perfect about the car which is a good sign. If I do get it Saturday will be a long day of detailing and tune-up.

#10,194 ·
Well it was a piece. Got the car on the highway and a few short bursts of WOT instantly revealed the HG's to be shot. Temp just about crawled into the red zone and was generally all over the place. Very disappointing and sad as I wanted that car but I'm definitely no idiot when it comes to a Northstar. In a turn of events the man felt so bad he is offering me a 2004 Deville w/ 116k miles and brand new Goodyear Assurance tires for $5k which is $1k less than what he wanted. Once I get confirmation on that car I'll probably head back up there next week to get it depending if it passes VA inspection. Here's praying.

#10,195 · (Edited)
Took her to the dealer for a wash drove to south Miami picked up a friend then drove threw the Everglades and up to Clearwater

and also happy to say that the read out for average mpg and also tank average was 29.6 mpg
also i filled up just after leaving the house drove 268.4 miles and didn't even burn a full half tank stopped and topped off after getting to the hotel and it only took 9 gallons on a 18.5 gallon tank

#10,198 ·
CadillacLuke24 said:
That sucks Ryan. Hopefully maybe the DeVille will work out for you. If it's any consolation the HGs should be way less of an issue.

What in the Sam Hell does it take to find a decent priced paint job? :helpless: :nono:
What do you consider decent? A driver quality paint job in the factory color without doing jambs, etc. costs about 2k, and a really nice paint job cost about 5k.

#10,203 ·
Decent is exactly what you mentioned Kevin. I would be thrilled to find a $2K paint job. All the FOOLS around here want to remove the window trim, door handles, etc. etc., and want $7k-15k.

Sadly, $2k around here will only get me the left side. Although it has a small rust past and a few dings, I still think the going rates are ABSURD.

#10,199 ·
Kevin, is right. going on 13 years ago I had my Alfa 164 repainted (the early 90's clear coat had given up the ghost). I got several quotes for the job, I ended up paying $3600. for a same color paint job, exterior surface only no jams or sills. The did do a beautiful job and I was happy with it. But the $3500. price was about mid market from the quotes I got. So I would expect that Kevin's idea of price would be about right for the work in the west or mid west.

#10,200 ·
orconn said:
Kevin, is right. going on 13 years ago I had my Alfa 164 repainted (the early 90's clear coat had given up the ghost). I got several quotes for the job, I ended up paying $3600. for a same color paint job, exterior surface only no jams or sills. The did do a beautiful job and I was happy with it. But the $3500. price was about mid market from the quotes I got. So I would expect that Kevin's idea of price would be about right for the work in the west or mid west.
Yay for lower prices (although the income in the midwest is also alot less than on the coasts.)

What did I do today?
Went to get my car washed by roller girls, but inclement weather cancelled that. Still got to roll through town blasting late 80s rap (run DMC, beastie boys, public enemy, among others both from U.S. and U.K.) off a really nice mixtape with the windows down. Nothing like some rolling down the street blasting old school rap (non gangsta) in a big a$$ buick on a cool summer day :)

#10,204 ·
Well I came damn close to kissing the wall at Gateway Motorsports Park today. We had setup a short Autocross (30-45 sec) on the road course for the Super Chevy Show participants. It has a short chute into a wide slalom then a reducing radius sweeper into a close slalom then an increasing radius curve and finally an offset slalom. I carried so much speed out of the first slalom I kept on accelerating through the decreasing radius turn till I completely lost it! Two countersteering maneuvers and off the course - the grass was slick and the wall was coming at me fast. Time to concede defeat - countersteer to the lock and brakes to the floor. I slid past the tire barrier and 6 feet from the wall it was over. Breathe. Breathe damnit! O.K back on course.

That was my second run with the ZR1 Swaybars. They don't lean at all and the tires give only the briefest warning of letting go. My next two laps were the best I've ever done (now that I know what the limits of this configuration is). The Corvette guys are puzzled how I'm keeping up. Best mod I've done yet for the road course/Autocross. I'll be looking for Z06 springs at Bloomington Gold.

Reactions: talismandave