1980 Coupe DeVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1980 Coupe DeVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've got a mint-condition fully original and stock '80 Coupe DeVille. The transmission leaks like crazy and the carb is ...
    ParNT07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1980 Coupe DeVille

I've got a mint-condition fully original and stock '80 Coupe DeVille. The transmission leaks like crazy and the carb is on the fritz. is this common? My friend with a '76 Eldo Biarritz Convt. swears it would be smarter and easier for me to switch to a Caddy 500cid V8. I'm a purist and like keepin' cars as original as possible, but I gotta admit I'm concidering this. Anyone got advice or opinion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: 1980 Coupe DeVille

I can vouch for that being a badass swap. It's basically a bolt-in in your case, and if you get a motor without the smog equipment, you'll DEFINITELY be pleased.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Unless there's something wrong with the engine it would be easier to just fix the transmission and get arebuilt carb.

Well, see, the car's been in the garage for 10 years. Maybe turned on once a month but not actually driven, just idled for a half hour or so. Some of the seals are less then quality but it's not serious by far. I just am tired of constantly fixing the carb. I've had pros do it, I've done it myself, and nothing works! I know the engine's gonna need a rebuild soon (within years, long term) and the idea of a fuel-injected 500cid is something I'd be interested in. Would the 500 bolt to the tranny I have now or would I have to source a new tranny?

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

I'd say go for it.. nothing beats a big block!!!

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

368 in it now right? If so, you shouldn't have any problems.

tripleyellow78cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ParNT07
    Would the 500 bolt to the tranny I have now or would I have to source a new tranny?
    your tranny will work with any 472 500 425 or 368 cadillac V-8:coolgleam

Awesome, thanks. This is new to me I just inherited it and while always a fan of Cadillac have never gotten familiar with them before. Thanks for the input hopefully I can put up some picutres of my car, it's tripple maroon and reallya nice example.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Why would you just replace the engine and use the old transmission when the tranny leaks like crazy?

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ParNT07
    Well, see, the car's been in the garage for 10 years. Maybe turned on once a month but not actually driven, just idled for a half hour or so. Some of the seals are less then quality but it's not serious by far. I just am tired of constantly fixing the carb. I've had pros do it, I've done it myself, and nothing works! I know the engine's gonna need a rebuild soon (within years, long term) and the idea of a fuel-injected 500cid is something I'd be interested in. Would the 500 bolt to the tranny I have now or would I have to source a new tranny?
    I was agreeing on the swap unitl I read the "fuel injected 500cid" part. How are you going to get fuel injection on the 500? Cadi did offer fuel injection on the later 500s (76ish) but that system just doesnt compare to the fulel injection you would get on a new car today. The technology just wasn't there yet. You couldn't find anyone to fix them in '76 and you sure aren't going to find anyone today! The fuel pumps (yes more than one) are getting rare and expensive... so are the control modules.

Cadi was really ahead of the curve on fuel injection... Chrysler didn't have anything even close until the 81 Imperial and they ended up retrofitting those to a carb because the system was so unreliable (some say the system wasn't that bad, they just did a poor job of training their techs).

With either engine consider getting a new carb. Edelbrock should have something that will fit your engine. I believe you would be quite happy with the result. Just don't get something toooo big.... 600cfm or under would be plenty for your existing engine.

If you decide to go the 500 route try to get one as early as you can. 73 and later were heavily modified to meet the smog rules and , while still a strong engine, don't compare to the earlier models.

Steve B.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.