Blowing coolant ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Blowing coolant ??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a '96 fwb. But lately have had a few problems in the heating/cooling system. First was no heat ...
    96fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Blowing coolant ???

I have a '96 fwb. But lately have had a few problems in the heating/cooling system. First was no heat in the heater, so got the complete system flushed out and replaced the thermostat, seemed to fix the heating problem. But since then i have lost my coolant a couple times in what seems to to be boiling over. After it blows all the coolant out and the pressure goes down, I fill it back up with coolant and everything works fine, make several short and long trips.... everything is great ....(so I thought)...... then what happens??? Blowing it all out again............ so what's up with that??? any ideas ?? Need help.. This is driving me nuts!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

baconn_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Blowing coolant ???

Quote Originally Posted by 96fleet
    I have a '96 fwb. But lately have had a few problems in the heating/cooling system. First was no heat in the heater, so got the complete system flushed out and replaced the thermostat, seemed to fix the heating problem. But since then i have lost my coolant a couple times in what seems to to be boiling over. After it blows all the coolant out and the pressure goes down, I fill it back up with coolant and everything works fine, make several short and long trips.... everything is great ....(so I thought)...... then what happens??? Blowing it all out again............ so what's up with that??? any ideas ?? Need help.. This is driving me nuts!!!
    Just like every other cadillac owner, replace the head gasket for 5k dollars.
    Chances are they won't know how at your local cadillac dealer. They will recommend a new engine.

theGman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '96 FWB; '96 STS

Dittos on the diagnosis of a blown head gasket. This can be easily checked by a mechanic for confirmation.
    Luckily, your Fleetwood has a Chevy engine, so it wil probably not be as bad as a Northstar. Since I have both, I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

Paul

Imprl59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is the engine overheating before it blows out the coolant? The system is self purging so there shouldn't be an issue with air trapped in there somewhere... You might go ahead and replace the thermostat just in case.

If you take the car to a radiator shop they can use a sniffer to sniff for exhaust fumes coming from the reservoir and help verify or rule out a blown head gasket.

Steve B.

FASSTWOOD is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

does the antifreeze seem to boil right away? Antifreeze dorsn't boil unless it is very diluted (almost water). It does sound like a head gasket... If yu take it to the dealer they're gonna get ya. Find a good mechanic, it should be no problem doing those head gaskets.

96fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Took it to a rad shop and checked for exhaust fumes ........ nothing at all. So I changed the thermostat again and has been working good so far ......... but keeping my fingers crossed. I had one guy tell me that it may be possible for the waterpump impeller to loosen on the shaft. Has anyone ever heard of that? But it seems that it should do it all the time then.???

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Iwould also replace the radiator cap. Its seldom checked to verify its holding proper pressure. If the cap is weak, the coolant will boil at at much lower temperature. Any radiator shop can test the cap pressure, but for the few dollars it costs, just replace it as a preventative measure.

atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by 96fleet
    Thanks for the advice guys..... I had one guy tell me that it may be possible for the waterpump impeller to loosen on the shaft. Has anyone ever heard of that????
    Hell yea! Bought a FW last December at a repo auction. Seemed to run fine around the lot so the next day I go to the auction to pick it up. Get about 2 miles down the road and turn into a gas station to fill up. As I'm putting in gas I notice steam from under the hood and water dripping on the ground. Open the hood and water is spraying out at the radiator tank seams, the overflow tank is surging and burping and when I slowly take the cap off I see chunks of ICE in there! From the consistency of the water I could tell there was hardly and antifreeze mixed in and it had frozen throughout the engine, the radiator and the overflow tank and most importantly in the water pump itself (which I didn't figure out until later). After towing it home and replacing the seals on the radiator tanks and putting in the correct amount of antifreeze, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't leak any coolant (I was expecting a cracked block). That pleasant surprise turned into anger when 2 miles into the road test I see steam coming from under the hood again. This time coolant is still surging in the overflow tank so much that it's expanding and coming out the vent in the cap! What now? Maybe the cap is bad and can't hold enough pressure? So I get a new cap. Take another drive and now the temp light comes on after 2 miles! Limp home and figure the thermostat must be stuck closed. Let it cool down and pull the t-stat housing and see that it's missing the thermostat! I figure I'm onto something now because I recall that the lack of a thermostat can also cause overheating because not only does the thermostat open and let coolant flow to the radiator when the engine warms up, it also blocks off some water passage at the bottom of the thermostat which if not blocked can re-circulate hot coolant back into the engine instead of the radiator. So I put in a new thermostat, take it for a drive, and 2 miles into it the temp light is on again and coolant is surging in the overflow tank. DAMN IT. Limp home again and just sleep on it overnight. Getting ready to dump this pig but decide to check one last thing, the water pump. Nothing else left in the cooling system that could go bad. Left it as the last thing to check because the pump looked like it had recently been changed. Anyway, before pulling the pump itself, I decide to take the front cover off. Lo and behold, as I get the last bolt out and pull the cover, the impeller just about falls out!!! YIPPIE! Finally I found the problem! It seems that one cold day when the water in the engine was frozen, someone started the car and unknowingly greatly loosened or sheared the impeller off the shaft. Now that I look back I do remember a squealing sound coming from the front of the engine that eventually disappeared. That must have been the impeller spinning on it's shaft. Didn't mean to write a frigin book.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.