Lookie What I got! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Lookie What I got! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally posted by kcnewell I know it's unusual.......But I'm just sittin' back and lettin' this thread go nuts without me! ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by kcnewell
    I know it's unusual.......But I'm just sittin' back and lettin' this thread go nuts without me! I'm kind of enjoying the show. You guys are rippin' it up though!.......Gotta love it!
    Now who's pushin' who's buttons
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Originally posted by Katshot
    Those cars have been optimized for the manual trans.
    Not to throw fuel on the fire, but Kev you want to explain that one to me? That sounds like something I would say . Not really but you get the point

Shaun,
    The cars have been designed from the ground up with a manual trans in mind. The engines and all other drivetrain components have been spec'd so as to work "properly" together. In those cases, the components were spec'd for optimal performance when utilizing a manual trans.
    Remember when we were always "trashing" Ford for using the engine they did in the Marauder? Perfect case in point of how they totally missed the mark on the components chosen. That particular engine is TERRIBLE with a normal OEM auto trans. It has NO BALLS down low so the car can't come out of the hole without bogging it's ass off. That same car with a stick would probably be quicker. Plenty of power up high in the rev-range and a stick would be the "optimal" trans for that engine, in that car. The only problem them, might be tire size but since the wheel wells have plenty of room for bigger rubber, even that wouldn't be a problem.

STSFreak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Listen all of you.......! Here it is plain and simple. You have to think of the little things when it comes to these types of situations. If you have an automatic, it is just easier to eat and drive. Now I dont know about the rest of you but I like to eat. Also, I dont know much about all of this %15 power boost, but to me it is starting to sound like it would be equal, the stick has the power boost, BUT, the automatic will shift faster.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Automatics wont necessarily shift faster, it would have to be properly tuned for that. I dont even think kev would argue that a stock auto shifts faster than a stick, well on second thought he may argue that.

Heh...I didnt say that a stock auto will shift faster than a stick. If it is built up for a semi-race scenario, then it will. Obviously, money needs to be spent on a new manual transmission. Instead of that, one could tune up an auto and be on his way. Get it?

Of course money would need to be spent on building up the auto as well. I had an 88 Mustang auto, put 2500 into the trans and it was pretty much as fast as a stick, but if i had the stick i could have saved 2500

And how much would the stick cost you?

well if i had bought the car with a stick....nothing. If i were to change it to a stick probably not much more than the 2500. In this case the fleetwood came with an auto that was then changed to a stick so it did cost him. However, Lets say you go out tomorrow to buy a new mustang, the stick will be 1k cheaper and faster. so spend the 1k on the auto option and another 2-3k to get it up to snuff, and you got an auto mustang as fast as a stick mustang for 3-4k more.

Scrapyard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    OK, I get that to a point. But GM never intended for the B&D bodies to run a manual. SO they kinda did tune the car for the fact that it was gona use an auto in a heavy car. Lower torque band, etc. I'll be the first to comment on GM's design practices. They seem to have that idea of getting the basics in place and bolting the rest of it on after words where ever it'll fit. Also considering the fact that the original engine config was designed for the Vette you may have a point but if you look at the progression of what the LT1 was used in, Vette- F boddy- B/D body GM continualy detuned/retuned the engine for its apropriet intenstions. But it is still just a jumble of part that were laying around.

No, No Brett....what that says is completely irrelevant, this isnt about buying the car with a stick in the first place. What he did was buy a stick for a car that was set up with an auto. He had to spend the money anyways to get the stick. What I am saying is, he could have used that money to fix up the auto that he had in it in the first place. I am not saying that a stock automaitic will be faster than a stick, it won't. I am saying that with approximately the same amount of money you could use to put a stick into an auto car, you could fix the auto to be just as fast or faster than the stick.

Originally posted by STSFreak
    the stick has the power boost, BUT, the automatic will shift faster.
    I took that to mean all cars not just the Fleetwood in question.

No, No Brett....what that says is completely irrelevant, this isnt about buying the car with a stick in the first place. What he did was buy a stick for a car that was set up with an auto. He had to spend the money anyways to get the stick. What I am saying is, he could have used that money to fix up the auto that he had in it in the first place. I am not saying that a stock automaitic will be faster than a stick, it won't. I am saying that with approximately the same amount of money you could use to put a stick into an auto car, you could fix the auto to be just as fast or faster than the stick.
    I AGREE, like i said your original statement seemed to be more of a blanket one. Covering more than just this application. In this case he could have built up the auto like you said to be as good or better.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Yeah! Then you can eat with one hand,Drive with the other, And shift with your butt!

Damn, are we getting near a resolution here?

Bottom line, as soon as Bill gets some ET's on the new setup, I think we'll see that the 6-speed was a bust at the track. It may be more fun to drive but as for improving ET's......
    Maybe that's why we haven't heard anymore from Bill, he said he was taking it to the track over the weekend

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.