Lookie What I got! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Lookie What I got! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally posted by STSFreak I agree with Katshot....If you have an automatic tranny set up right, you WILL be faster ...
    HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by STSFreak
    I agree with Katshot....If you have an automatic tranny set up right, you WILL be faster than a manual transmission. Just think about it...it is a machine that is shifting the car, not you. Like everything else, the machine is faster than the man.
    The unaddressed fact remains that the street going manual versions of the Mustang GT, Corvette and Camaro post faster 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times.

What you are saying is that Ford and GM aren't tuning their automatic transmissions properly. Kat says it's because the engineer it to be a manual and don't take the time to rengineer the automatic. Poppy cock!

And just what does a 2 speed drag racing transimissions with 1000+hp going through it have to do with any street car? No one is talking about putting a 1000+hp motor in their Fleetwood.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

STSFreak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    LOL.. i didnt imply that anyone was putting a 1000+ hp engine in their Fleetwood i was just stating that an automatic tranny is capable of fast times. Also, I didnt say that FoMoCo and GM are not tuning their trasmissions right I am just saying that they arent tuning them to go as fast as they can. These cars werent meant to race you know?

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Don't waste your time STSFreak. The dude's NOT LISTENING!

"The unaddressed fact remains that the street going manual versions of the Mustang GT, Corvette and Camaro post faster 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times."

It's not that it was "unaddressed" it's like I said, you just choose to not believe the truth.

"What you are saying is that Ford and GM aren't tuning their automatic transmissions properly. Kat says it's because the engineer it to be a manual and don't take the time to rengineer the automatic. Poppy cock!"

It's not a matter of them being tuned "properly". They're just not tuned as good as they could be, and as I stated before, the engines are not setup for automatics, they're setup for manuals.

"And just what does a 2 speed drag racing transimissions with 1000+hp going through it have to do with any street car? No one is talking about putting a 1000+hp motor in their Fleetwood."

That's not the point, you claimed a manual is faster than an auto. If that were true then why wouldn't the pros be using manuals? Even if the manual could save them a tenth or two in the shift, they would do it, don't you think? And within this thread, the claim has been made that manuals have it all over autos in everything from weight, to less parasitic power loss, to greater power-handling capability. If all this were true, then why don't you see them on the pro cars more than autos?

Face it dude, you're wrong and you have zero proof to substantiate your arguement.

Originally posted by Katshot
    Even if the manual could save them a tenth or two in the shift, they would do it, don't you think?[/B]
    Yes, they would. in the drag racing world, 1/10 of a second is like a minute in the real world. That is a lot of time. Thank you Kat for trying to explain to him AGAIN what you and I and anyone else has been trying to tell him. But, I guess you're right....he just wont hear it.

STSFreak:
    Thanks man, I know you're new here, but I like your style.
    (especially since you agree with me)

Sometimes, trying to get a point across on a forum is tough

LOL.....trying to get in good with the crowd. I don't wanna end up like Wes. How do you put those smileys in?
    lol

deanstud is offline Cadillac Owners Member

"The unaddressed fact remains that the street going manual versions of the Mustang GT, Corvette and Camaro post faster 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times."

It's not that it was "unaddressed" it's like I said, you just choose to not believe the truth.

So, are you saying that is not true, or that it is true?

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    ummm yeah guys thats all over my head....i just like the mod.....its has a stick and a clutch and its probably more fun to drive.....

STSFreak:
    Thanks man, I know you're new here, but I like your style.
    (especially since you agree with me)

Sometimes, trying to get a point across on a forum is tough
    The quizz is over. All the answers have been received and now it's time to reveal the correct answer.

The reason those car's are slower with their automatics verses the manual version, is that inherit in the automatic design is a loss of 15% of it's hp. It simply isn't as effecient delivering the power to the rear wheels. There is no amount of tuning it that will bring that power back.

So while the 0-60 times may be about equal due to consistancy of launch with an automatic, the manual has 15% more power to use at every shift point in the 1/4 mile.

Now that thats answered. What about his assertion that it's inefficient is the use of a 6speed with the Fleetwood LT-1? Even if it's 15% less efficient, then it's equal to his properly tuned automatic.

But the question is, what does the shift point have to do with the engines power curve? If I'm redlining in 1st gear, I shift my gear. If I'm not at redline, then I wait. In this respect, the manual is more adaptable to a variety of power curves. They don't make late model manual tranny adapters for flathead Fords (and about 20 other '40's-'50's V8's) to make them perform worse, do they? (Please don't attempt to answer that Kat!)

Originally posted by deanstud
    It's because the automatic in those car's aren't properly tuned. You can gain the inherit loss of 15% hp magically by plugging it into a laptop, but the OE's haven't figured that one out yet. So SHHHH...it's our little secret on this board.

Originally posted by deanstud
    I said it already but here one more time. Yes, of course it is true. Those cars have been optimized for the manual trans.

HotRodSaint:
    Sorry you just refuse to believe the truth man. It's ok though. I can only give you the facts, it's up to you to believe them or not.

It's not a matter of them being tuned "properly". They're just not tuned as good as they could be, and as I stated before, the engines are not setup for automatics, they're setup for manuals.
    Where's the proof to substantiate this? Where's the logic to support this? I'm not listening? Your brain has ceased to function. You sound like a liberal trying to defend their political position.

The only frickin' way the car could be tuned to HELP the automatic transmission, would be to give that car with that transmission a 15% boost over the manual car. So yes, if you want to use that logic they were unfair to all the automatic owners of the world because they didn't give you a handycap.

But you start with a flaw in your basic arguement. They initially engineer their engines for a targetted HP (and/or torque) rating on the dyno with little regard to the transmission they will likely use. They then tune the transmission for use with said engine.

What you are admittiing in your statement without the balls to come out and just say it, is that the automatic is less efficient than the manual at delivering power to the rear wheels.

Just say it and stop arguing about it.

I don't listen. You don't even listen to yourself, or you'd not have made some of the comments you made.:banghead2

I said it already but here one more time. Yes, of course it is true. Those cars have been optimized for the manual trans.

HotRodSaint:
    Sorry you just refuse to believe the truth man. It's ok though. I can only give you the facts, it's up to you to believe them or not.
    When you start giving facts, then I will listen. So far, you have stated opinion and half truths mixed with a flawed understanding of how a car is designed and engineered.

No one designs an engine with the transmission. Hell, they buy the transmissions elsewhere anyway.

At least you have convinced your loyal followers of your infalability.

Those cars have been optimized for the manual trans.
    These car's have been optimized for their HP. The manual transmission is the opitimum choice to deliver it to the rear wheels.

It is these statements where your misinformed view of the OEM engineering is most evident.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I know it's unusual.......But I'm just sittin' back and lettin' this thread go nuts without me! I'm kind of enjoying the show. You guys are rippin' it up though!.......Gotta love it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.