Lookie What I got! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Lookie What I got! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can't we all just get along? Thanks, TMToyz. I appreciate your support. KC, I'm not offended. Any self-respecting panhead MUST ...
    Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition
    Can't we all just get along?

Thanks, TMToyz. I appreciate your support.

KC, I'm not offended. Any self-respecting panhead MUST refer to anything Japanese as "rice". Isn't that in some kind of a Harley oath you took?

as for the comment at the end of my previous signature, I meant that it will someday be REPLACED by a DeVille, not metamorphosized into one. I can't wait to get back behind the wheel of some American iron again. (even if they ARE made of plastic and aluminum these days)

If you wanna wear out your left knee and shift gears, go for it! I just don't want to any more. I still covet your Fleetwood.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    First thing, resale value. We are talking about a used Cadillac here. The resale value already sucks! They are twice as cheap as an Impalla SS, even though they cost twice as much new.

Second, no one has a 'properly-tuned' automatic in their Fleetwood on this board, so my guess is that my 85 year old crippled grand-pa could shift a 6sp faster than the stock FW tranny shifts.

It will be harder to sell, but so would any chopped, channeled, and hot rodded car. But the easy way around that is don't sell it!! Drive it until it's junk, then chop, channel and hot rod it again!!

It's cool, I like it, I want it. But I'm going to screw up my resale value with some other mod's first!

Stay tuned...(Hehe, get it?)

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by HotRodSaint

Second, no one has a 'properly-tuned' automatic in their Fleetwood on this board, so my guess is that my 85 year old crippled grand-pa could shift a 6sp faster than the stock FW tranny shifts.
    Say WHAT?!
    Dude I'll have you know that I've spent a lot of time with my laptop and LT1-Edit software while "properly tuning" my trans both on and off the track and the improvements in both driveability and ET's are dramatic. If you think a manual trans can be shifted faster and more reliably than an automatic commanded by a PCM, you are surely out of touch with reality.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Katshot, He's pushin' your buttons!..........I'm startin' to like him!

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Um can i mention i dunno how to to drive a stick, it pisses me off, never had a car around with one....

That's not an unusual situation these days.....I know a few people that don't know how since there are so many cars with autos and some people never have access to a stick. I taught my son how to drive on a car with a stick and wouldn't even let him try a car with an automatic until he could drive the other one smoothly and without thinking about it. I felt that if he could drive a stick then the rest would be easy!

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    Funny you say that KC. My father felt the same way when it was my turn to learn how to drive. Nothing but stick shift for my first 2 yrs of driving.It was a huge help!!!14 yrs of driving now. The only ones I still have some problems with are the old collum shift trucks. Not likely to bump into one of those anymore though.
    I still prefer a auto tranny Except in my next Mustang. Gotta have a stick shift in there.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    My long legs and big feet make it hard enough to work 2 pedals, i've always had problems getting comfortable with a stick shift. Although im sure a stick in a fleetwood, would be nice and roomy.

Originally posted by Katshot
    Say WHAT?!
    Dude I'll have you know that I've spent a lot of time with my laptop and LT1-Edit software while "properly tuning" my trans both on and off the track and the improvements in both driveability and ET's are dramatic. If you think a manual trans can be shifted faster and more reliably than an automatic commanded by a PCM, you are surely out of touch with reality.
    Ok, so you got a program to 'properly tune' your transmission.

Now tell me why every magazine posts better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the manual version of the same exact car? (I know, they aren't properly tuned.)

Then tell me that you can out run him in a 50-108mph race on the freeway.

Then tell me how many processes that PCM must go through before I've already selected the proper gear. I don't have to drop done one gear at a time to get to 2nd, I'm already there.

Yes I might miss that shift. But if I don't, you are at a disadvantage.

Take it one step further (because I know you will try to bring it back to drag racing) a properly set-up manual shifter would give you a run for the money too. It would be a stupid set-up for the street.

Originally posted by kcnewell
    Katshot, He's pushin' your buttons!..........I'm startin' to like him!
    I'm just a Push Button Transmission!

If you REALLY want to know the answer to any of your questions, I could tell you, I'm just not sure you would either understand the answers or wish to believe them.

OOOOH! This is startin' to get good!

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Originally posted by Katshot
    If you REALLY want to know the answer to any of your questions, I could tell you, I'm just not sure you would either understand the answers or wish to believe them.

I would be interested in knowing. I know very little about fleetwoods. But what is the explanation on Vettes, Camaros, Stangs etc. being faster with stick.

Originally posted by Brett
    I would be interested in knowing. I know very little about fleetwoods. But what is the explanation on Vettes, Camaros, Stangs etc. being faster with stick.
    I'd be interested in learning why these manual car's are faster than their automatic siblings too.

Ok, it goes like this; Most cars that come with a stick like the ones we've mentioned here, have been designed with that transmission in mind "primarily", rather than "secondarily". This means that the engine, final drive, suspension, even the engine management system have all been designed and calibrated to work in conjunction with the manual trans. In an effort to answer the question as quickly as possible, we'll limit the discussion to the engine calibration and final drive.
    In order to "optimize" the performance capabilities of any given drivetrain combination, you need to assemble and calibrate the engine in such a way that it can work best with the associated componentry. In the case of the Cadillac Fleetwood, the engine was setup with a very broad power curve, favoring the lower rpm range. This was done via a unique combination of:
    1. MAF
    2. Throttle body
    3. Intake
    4. Heads
    5. Cam
    6. Exhaust
    7. PCM calibration

All of these items are different on the F-Body cars which were setup to optimize the 6- speed manual trans. They have a higher output mainly because the engine can be tuned for a tighter, higher power band that can be utilized due to the fact that the 6-speed allows for the driver to keep the engine in that smaller rpm range. This allows higher flowing engine components that can breath better at the higher rpms. You'll notice that the Fleetwood still has superior power to the F-body cars in the lower rpm range (better bottom-end).

In the case of the Fleetwood, all the above items would have to be reset in order to get the most out of a 6-speed manual trans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.