Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1984 fleetwood limo blower resistor?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gdouaire 
#1 ·
I searched a little bit on blower resistor info but not sure if 100% blower resistor, turn key on and fan blows high no matter where switch is switched. is this a bad resistor? or a blower motor failing and pulling too much current? also if I needed to buy another one where is good place? I have checked over 20 junkyards/u pull it spots in my area and either no caddies or blower resistor already gone I was hopeful to find one and plug it in to see if a change in diagnoses. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
:yeah:

FWIW my 84 Eldo ate modules prior to replacing the blower motor. Removed it and found it gritty feeling and hard to spin. An el cheapo new blower went in with a new module that seems to be holding. So I would replace the motor too, real easy on a RWD!

#4 ·
I installed the blower resistor with a used one from a reputable used/recycler parts dealer I assume it was tested and known to work properly. also replace blower motor with a new one just because its that cheap and easy to do, but still same symptom blows full speed key on no matter what climate control is set to but it will select and change from vent to def etc

#5 ·
I wouldn't count on used parts being tested and known to work. I think they just sell stuff with a 30 day warranty. If it doesn't work they give your money back and throw it away. That blower resister (aka blower control module) is usually the cause of the blower being on high all the time.

#6 ·
You can test the blower module to see if you have a short circuit between the black wire (ground) and the blower feed (can't remember the color of that wire and/or which pin it is on the connector).

The way it works on these cars -- blower +12V feed is on at all times, it's the negative/ground that is switched by the blower module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.