Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Vacuum lines are important!

709 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark 78 Coupe 
#1 ·
I went to move my 78 Deville yesterday from the driveway to the garage for the winter, and the last time (this summer) I started it it ran very rough, and would stall almost every time I tried to give it a little gas. Keep in mind it was summer, probably 75 degrees. So yesterday, I decide to move it, and was very concerned that the cold weather (25 degrees) would make it impossible. So, I looked at the carb, and noticed 2 short vacuum lines that had developed fine cracks. I'm sure these lines are original, and in 10 minutes time, I had them both replaced. The car started instantly, and ran better than I remember it running in years. It now idles properly, and when I gave it some gas, no hesitation at all. The $2.00 I spent on vacuum lines was money well spent!

#2 ·
Glad to hear! It's true, as robust as these engines are, they're very sensitive to small adjustments. Some new vacuum hoses and minor adjustments can make a world of difference! Especially with a Quadrajet. It's very important to remember that, too, as I'm sure we've all seen good carbs replaced with something off the shelf that doesn't work half as well as a fully understood & properly adjusted original carb!

#3 ·
It was so cold out that I wanted to just start with the two hoses that controlled the choke. It is truly remarkable what a change it made! In the spring I'll replace the others, since I'm sure that they are cracked as well. I just never imagined what a difference it would make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.