Cadillac Owners Forum banner

95 Fleetwood - Rear Disc brakes

9K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  FTSS 
#1 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if someone around here has already done something like this before (especially with 87 LT1 swaps, etc). Is it possible (or cost possible if you're not the Rockefellers:crybaby:) to somehow put a rear end of the 1995 Fleetwood so that the rears are discs instead of drums? What would be the cost of a project like this? :stirpot:

I'm sure it would be one heck of a project, I am just interesting if someone has done this before. I was reading about some of the older (late 70s Devilles) and they seem to have rear discs.. Why would they not have put discs on our 1993-1996 Fleetwoods? Especially since they had it on the much older cars... cost probably?

Thanks for your input and feeding my incessant curiosity!

#2 ·
Swapping the complete rear axle is possible, but there are two reasons why it isn't common.
1. The SS rear is narrower (and the 9C1 rear is narrower than that).
2. The SS rear is three channel ABS. You lose ABS function on your four channel system.

Solutions? Keep your rear axle, swap the brake parts over. Not difficult. There are aftermarket solutions, as well, that are only a mouse click and a credit card away.

#7 ·
Disc brakes are simpler and easier to maintain. They offer better braking power.

Drum brakes are self-actuating once applied. The rotation of the wheel actually causes the brake shoe to press harder against the drum. This is why they make better parking/emergency brakes. This is also why they have powerful springs to pull the shoes away from the drum once you release the pedal.

#6 ·
It's been a LONG LONG time since I visited or posted here, but here's the answer to your question. It's not only possible, some of us have already done it thanks to Bill Harper (Navy Lifer) figuring it all out for us and having the parts made to make the swap easier. I'm not sure if he's still got the conversion parts in stock (back plates and brake lines) but I'd assume if enough people are interested he could put the parts together.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...es/6884-rear-disc-brakes-93-96-fleetwood.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...1985/2881-fleetwood-rear-disc-conversion.html

#8 ·
Easier to maintain? Other than being easier to remove a drum than a rotor, in no way is a drum brake job easier than a disk brake job.

A drum brake can have more power than a disk brake of the same diameter, but since card don't use 12"/13" rims anymore, that's irrelevant.

Fade resistance, consistent stopping force, modulation, cooling, ABS functionality.... All better with disks.

Drums are better at being parking brakes. That's why some vehicles use a small drum setup inside the rotor hat.

Now, when is the last time you saw a disk to drum conversion performance brake kit?

#9 ·
Easier to maintain? Other than being easier to remove a drum than a rotor, in no way is a drum brake job easier than a disk brake job.
I actually said that Disc brakes are easier to maintain.

Now, when is the last time you saw a disk to drum conversion performance brake kit?
The key word there is performance. If that is your goal, then 4-wheel disc would be a good thing. In the case of a '95 Fleetwood, I, personally, would keep the drum brakes.

#14 ·
I had a 79 Fleetwood with 4 wheel disc, I cant say it was any better than my 90, biggest difference is the 90 has abs, but both stop extremely well without any mods.

The rear discs on the 79 had the parking brake incorporated in the capiler, trust me it was a real bitch to put pads on it.

Personally Id be looking into some high performance front brake parts that bolt on with out mods. But as I say the cars stop exceptionally stock, so I wont be doing anything but replaceing worn brakes .

#19 ·
Now I've always thought I was quite well versed in "2 countries separated by a common language" as it applies to car/automobile parts but I'm really none the wiser, as that explanation suggests the term "rotor" was coined some time after disc brakes became common place.

That said, I guess this is neither the time nor place to discuss etymology :)

----------

Or the same reason we call rims with tires a wheel.
I'd never realised that, something else I've learned - 'cos while , obviously, we use all 3 words, we do so differently.

I expected to learn about Cadillacs on this forum but not comparative languages (another interest) - lovin' it!

#18 ·
I have a rear disc cop car axle (3.08 open). If someone wants it, come and get it. It will need work, but the parts are there.

It has been out in the elements, so the rotors need replacing and the calipers probably need a rebuild, but the backing plates, the important part, are there.

#28 · (Edited)
I installed Navy Lifer's setup on my '95 almost 15 years ago, and it went quite well. Operation and performance were perfect. The car has recently gone to a new owner, and I replaced it with a '96 which is getting some good attention to suspension upgrades - then maybe rear discs. The cost to do the conversion completely and correctly is measurable, but divided over time was very gratifying for the results. You should have located the detail threads on the mod either here or on the Impala SS forum (under either Brakes and/or Fleetwood). What help do you need specifically?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.