Buick radio in a Brougham?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Buick radio in a Brougham? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Take a look at the radio in this '92 Brougham - it has a CD and tape player which came ...
  1. #1
    My_favorite_Brougham's Avatar
    My_favorite_Brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sapphire Black Brougham d'Elegance 5.7L
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas A&M
    Posts
    1,996

    Buick radio in a Brougham?

    Take a look at the radio in this '92 Brougham - it has a CD and tape player which came out of a late model Buick (96-20xx) But how did they wire it? Do you suppose they simply spliced the wires or got a whole new amp?



    I have both a bad amp and a bad tuner in my '90 Brougham, and I want this same setup because the owner of this car claims it's way better than the original radio. So before I go out and buy a good OEM amp, I want to know that the original amp is compatible with this buick radio. Otherwise, I will get a different amp, but what should I get for that radio? Here it is up close:




    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    caddycruiser's Avatar
    caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southern DE
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,381

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    Hmm, I wonder. I always knew the size was the same, and was thinking of it myself, but didn't know about the wiring.

  4. #3
    Broughamadrosis's Avatar
    Broughamadrosis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2-90 Brougham 5.7, 82 S&S Hearse
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    50
    Posts
    101

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    From the looks of that blue plug, and the fact that the antenna connector is there, I'd guess the amp/controller is built-in, no data cable/external amp is required. The car/speaker harness plug probably goes directly into it. You'd need an adapter to convert to the newer style plug.

    It might just be my imagination, but is that radio deeper than the Brougham tuner? I wouldn't want to have to hack-up/restrict the A/C duct...

  5. #4
    Vladillac Khrougham's Avatar
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    60

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    I cant see the photos, but my 92 Brougham had a bad amp when I bought it. After finally finding a Metra bypass harness which arrived the day after I soldered my own together (it is basically just a 1 foot long extension of the wiring harnesses that plug into the amp/tuner, three of which barely reach the amp much less the center of the dash) from many pigtails acquired along with the several "Symphony Sound" and other GM cassette decks (only $15 from the salvage yard before the 20% military/veterans discount). After over an hour spent accessing, disconnecting and removing the infamously awkwardly placed tuner/amp and reluctantly and regrettably taking a hack saw to the radio brackets to that are molded into the plastic dash frame, in 5-minutes, I popped in the "Symphony Sound", replaced the rotted out Polk front speakers installed by the previous owner with factory Delco's and was listening to an 8-year old mix tape. (All thanks to info and instructions I could only find on this forum http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-brougham.html ). Although I never found a pigtail that had the same available pin/socket order among my various "4th socket" with each a different combo of orange/grey/purple-white wires in, none of which matched up with mine (the Metra harness like many Delco stereos, doesnt utilize the the "4th socket" so although somehow the power antenna worked properly, dimming did not and the stereo was lit up to full brightness whenever the car was on, which didnt bother me much)

    Since the trim was off, and I had several several Delco Tape decks, sitting around, I decided to try them out. One was an odd duck having all push buttons, no knobs or sliders that I pulled from a late 80's/early 90's Buick. Aside from its strange look, it was the best sounding of the bunch. Unfortunately, the next day it refused to eject my tape adapter. After trying everything else I had to take it apart and thats when I discovered the top half of this unit was a CDM (the same tuner/amp as the broken unit that I had removed and bypassed. Even with open access to the cassette mechanism I could not free the tape adapter, so after bench testing the working tuner/amp with a Cadillac CD/tape combo unit almost identical to the non-Bose one offered in the '92 Brougham (instead of five "A B C D E" EQ buttons it had a two sliders for bass and treble), I was feeling masochistic and decided to install them. Even with the extra length of the extension/bypass harness, the antenna cable was barely just long enough to reach the tuner/amp unless the unit was almost in the exact position it was designed to to be placed which offers very limited operator access plug the cable into it's socket (GM sure is stingy with wiring). So assuming the Buick radio is similar to the one I used, you can use that stereo in a late model Brougham after separating the tuner/amp from the head unit, or use one as a donor to replace a non functioning unit.

    I though I would bump this thread rather than start a new one on a similar topic because as I mentioned, I bought this car with Polk speakers installed and the rear ones seemed ok but one, is not functioning properly anymore. I have several 6X9 Delco speaker I have scavenged over the past few months, but they are either 4-ohm or 10-ohm. The shop manual only gives ohm values for the two different possible front speaker arrangements, and only refers to the rear speakers as 6X9. Can anyone with knowledge of the original ohm rating of the factory set up, tell me if it was 10 or 4? Also, is it possible to hook up an auxiliary input source to the CD/tape combo as it is with the cassette only model?

    (that was a lotta words)

  6. #5
    1980coupe's Avatar
    1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,107

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    www.the12volt.com should give you the wiring details for both cars

  7. #6
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,601

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    the rear 6x9s were 4 ohm. the delco ones sound pretty good for paper dual cone speakers.
    do you have a picture of that push button 80s buick radio? I may be interested in it if you still have it (if it is the radio I think it is).

  8. #7
    Vladillac Khrougham's Avatar
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    60

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    Yes and no, I am using it's CDM (tuner/amp) and there is a cassette adapter stuck in the tape player, and I may have made things worse in the hours I spend attempting to get it to eject (although it just dawned on me that I didn't try connecting it to a power source and and watch, what gears/springs maybe stuck. I will try and take a pic of it today or tomorrow, and will keep an eye out at the yards. (I usually pick up any interesting "pre theftlock" post shaft knob Delco tape deck I find, I used to have the compulsion at thrift shops for tape decks, turntables and typewriters).

    Thanks for the speaker info, I have always been happy with GM/Delco factory stereos.

  9. #8
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham
    Yes and no, I am using it's CDM (tuner/amp) and there is a cassette adapter stuck in the tape player, and I may have made things worse in the hours I spend attempting to get it to eject (although it just dawned on me that I didn't try connecting it to a power source and and watch, what gears/springs maybe stuck. I will try and take a pic of it today or tomorrow, and will keep an eye out at the yards. (I usually pick up any interesting "pre theftlock" post shaft knob Delco tape deck I find, I used to have the compulsion at thrift shops for tape decks, turntables and typewriters).

    Thanks for the speaker info, I have always been happy with GM/Delco factory stereos.
    I have 4 nice UX1s sitting in my basement, as well as a shaft style AM/FM/cass/CB radio. IMO, the delco UX1 is one of the best sounding factory car stereos ever made (and it rivals alot of aftermarkets I've heard). As for speakers, I have a set of blaupunkts in my caddy's rear deck (from back when blaupunkt was still good) and some old school alpines in my lesabre, but I think the delco 4ohm 6x9s are better than alot of the budget 6x9s I've come across.

  10. #9
    Vladillac Khrougham's Avatar
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    60

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    thanks so mucj Kev.

    Speaking of speaker wire, does anyone know the gauge of speaker wire used by by the factory, and would it make a signigicant differench if I sildered in a few inches of a gauge high or lower from the factory speaker wire to the factory speaker connector after snipping off the soddy bypass to non-OEM connectors done by a previous owner?

    say the factory wires were 20 and I soldered in 3 inches of 18 or 22 AWG?

  11. #10
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham
    thanks so mucj Kev.

    Speaking of speaker wire, does anyone know the gauge of speaker wire used by by the factory, and would it make a signigicant differench if I sildered in a few inches of a gauge high or lower from the factory speaker wire to the factory speaker connector after snipping off the soddy bypass to non-OEM connectors done by a previous owner?

    say the factory wires were 20 and I soldered in 3 inches of 18 or 22 AWG?
    22 might make a bit of difference (not enough that you would notice it). The factory ran either 20 or 22 to the front 4x6s and 18 to the 6x9s. If you are going back to factory, I would not use the factory 4x6s. They are junk. The ones in my caddy were blown (sounded horrid) and the ones in my lesabre had fused voice coils and singed cones near the center.

  12. #11
    Vladillac Khrougham's Avatar
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    60

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    Some how i was lucky and best of my salvages front 4X6s sound amazing (although years of listening to music at full volume and subscribing to the (yes very idiotic) infantry superstition that one is more accurate with out ear plugs and the natural hearing degradation that a human male suffers into his 30's, may have rendered me unable to hear the quality that I am missing. (although any plug and play after market suggestions would be appreciated, especially from Crutchfield asI am often in driving distance of their store)

    Also I have a the CD/Cassette head unit (although nearly identical to the 92 brougham one with preset EQ buttons is a later unit that has bass/treble sliders, that shop unit says it is designed for 6 speakers, I have two Delco 4 inch round speakers with two tweeters hanging off of them that seem to be the ones, but lack the proper door trim to house them, and have yet to test them anyhow.


    thanks again Kev, your a Cadillac Jedi

  13. #12
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham
    Some how i was lucky and best of my salvages front 4X6s sound amazing (although years of listening to music at full volume and subscribing to the (yes very idiotic) infantry superstition that one is more accurate with out ear plugs and the natural hearing degradation that a human male suffers into his 30's, may have rendered me unable to hear the quality that I am missing. (although any plug and play after market suggestions would be appreciated, especially from Crutchfield asI am often in driving distance of their store)

    Also I have a the CD/Cassette head unit (although nearly identical to the 92 brougham one with preset EQ buttons is a later unit that has bass/treble sliders, that shop unit says it is designed for 6 speakers, I have two Delco 4 inch round speakers with two tweeters hanging off of them that seem to be the ones, but lack the proper door trim to house them, and have yet to test them anyhow.

    thanks again Kev, your a Cadillac Jedi
    Delco 4" and tweeters? Are those from a camaro with the monsoon system? (Only thing that comes to mind that used a 4" and a tweeter)
    I'm not a cadillac jedi. I've just taken apart alot of them in junkyards and worked on my car quite a bit.

    As for aftermarket suggestions, I'd go for 4x6 plate speakers (have a 3.5" woofer and tweeter), but finding ones that fit without modification may prove problematic. I recall someone on here using polk 4x6 plates, but I can't swear that they would fit without making the hole in the dash for the speaker magnet better.
    Pretty much any 4x6 oval speaker will work as well and sound better than the factory oval speakers (but not as good as the 4x6 plates). I have polk 4x6s in my lesabre and think they sound great for 4x6 ovals. I also had a set of kenwood 4x6 ovals in my caddy hooked up to the stock radio for a while and liked them. They were a noticable improvement over the stock paper speakers.

  14. #13
    Vladillac Khrougham's Avatar
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    60

    Re: Buick radio in a Brougham?

    I checked, the speakers I was talking about are 5" round 4ohm made in the US withattached by 2 feet of speaker wire 1 to maybe 1-1/2 inch 4 ohm Delco plastic tweeters made in Singapore. I forgot what car I got them out of, chances are a mid 90's Cadillac or perhaps 80s-90s Oldsmobile or Buick, or more remotely a Pontiac/Chevrolet.

    the car was purchaced with rotted 4X6 Polks and in now are matching Polk 4X9s that seem in good condition at least cosmetically.

    I have wondered if it was possible (obviously anything with knowledge and a soldering iron is "possible") but if there was a way to "slave a second UXI unit to the control head unit to power a second set of 4X9 and 4X6 speakers placed near by the originals or if it would distort or just not improve the sound, just an off the wall question.

  15. #14
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham
    I checked, the speakers I was talking about are 5" round 4ohm made in the US withattached by 2 feet of speaker wire 1 to maybe 1-1/2 inch 4 ohm Delco plastic tweeters made in Singapore. I forgot what car I got them out of, chances are a mid 90's Cadillac or perhaps 80s-90s Oldsmobile or Buick, or more remotely a Pontiac/Chevrolet.

    the car was purchaced with rotted 4X6 Polks and in now are matching Polk 4X9s that seem in good condition at least cosmetically.

    I have wondered if it was possible (obviously anything with knowledge and a soldering iron is "possible") but if there was a way to "slave a second UXI unit to the control head unit to power a second set of 4X9 and 4X6 speakers placed near by the originals or if it would distort or just not improve the sound, just an off the wall question.
    To answer your question, it is entirely possible and wouldn't be that hard to make a UX1 (or any of the 80s GM 1.5 DIN radios) a slave unit, but good luck hiding a 1.5 DIN radio somewhere. Having a secondary "slave" radio running a second set of speakers would make it have more prescence. It wouldn't make it sound better or be any louder. Personally, I'd find it a waste of time/ effort to install 4 extra speakers and mod a factory radio to be a slave unit. I'd just mod the factory radio for line outs (bypass the internal amp), use a small aftermarket amp and the factory speaker locations.

    As for the polk 4x6s....they don't seem to do well in extreme heat/ exposure to direct sunlight- at least that's my experience with them in the junkyard. thin plastic speakers do have downsides (why I don't use newer alpines and pioneers....they tend to shatter when exposed to direct sunlight for a few years). The polks in my lesabre are 3 years old and still sound fine and show no signs of fatigue (although they are yellowed).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting