Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1956 Cadillac Fleetwood Shift Indicator

978 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  outsider 
#1 ·
Hi, Finishing a restoration for someone who owns a 56 Fleetwood. I am installing the transmission shift indicator that screws into the column. The problem is, the indicator doesn't line up properly with the letters for the shift postion. I have the clip on the column and when I install the pointer and go through the gears it gets fouled up and pops off. I have tried installing it every which way but cannot get it correct. Any help is appreciated. The pointer looks like this

Door handle

See less See more
#3 ·
I want to try to avoid that as the trans goes into all gears as of right now and I don't really want to mess with it. It looks like the manual linkage is set up "correct" as the cutout for the clip makes a full run in the steering column cutout. Well, as long as it is supposed to do that.

#4 ·
I have the same issue on my 69 calais after i dropped the steering column to replace the ignition switch. Never could get it set up right again so I just shifted it by number of clicks. I know that doesn't help for your customer, sorry.

If anyone does have info on adjusting these I'd also be interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.