cheap opera light fix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, cheap opera light fix in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    dill is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cheap opera light fix

OPERA LIGHT REPAIR

I have a1987 Brougham and am in the process of having my vinyl roof replaced. What a good time to repair my opera lights.
    Hear is how I repaired mine. The diagram for opera lights is in the Service Information Manual Initial Edition, 8a page 110-6. I found a fix for my opera lights, very reasonable. They come in red, green, and blue; I chose blue, http://www.mutantmods.com/electro luminescent tape strip.
    To remove the plastic lens, it is best to do it before you take it off the car. Use a very thin screwdriver and a blow dryer or heat gun, take it easy don’t rush or you will break it. The wires and the two nuts can be removed from inside after you remove the molding and seat belt anchor. Once they are off the car you can remove the pins that the wire connected to. Then cut a slot as wide as the strip, where the pins come out, this will allow you to feed the strip through.
    Cutting the strip to fit, practice on a 12” piece first. The tape can be cut the same width as the old element you took out, there is very little you have to cut off. On the back there is a small conductor and a wide conductor I cut a small strip off “the wide side conductor”. If you cut it off the wrong side it may not light, that is why it is a good idea to practice on the far end first. Do not cut the first 4” to 5” of the EL STRIP or the strip won’t work, you may be cutting of the power to the rest of the strip. Feed the new strip in through the slot you cut in the casting, peal off the back and stick it in place. Replace the reflector and the lens. Use a plastic to plastic glue around the lens this will hold it in and seal it from the weather.

WIRING
    Start by removing the ground from the battery. Remove the inverter from the trunk, use a jumper wire to connect the black and two white wires together. This will give you a ground wire at both center posts where the lights are located. In side the right post you will find two brown wires, one white, and one blue; the blue is not used, join the two brown wires with a short piece of red wire, this will be the power or + positive the white will be the ground or - negative. On the left post you will find two brown, one blue, and one white; the blue is not used. Put the negative on the battery post long enough to take a 12 volt reading to determine which brown wire is live this is the power supply 12 volts, this is the one you will use as + put a short red wire on it the white will be the – negative.

The strips are 12v supply with an inverter, the inverter can be connected directly to the 12v supply red and white in each post. Each post will have it’s own inverter. Don’t forget to solder all connections and tape them.
    Good luck

Dill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: cheep opera light fix

The only potential complaint I can see from EL on this, is AM radio interference. Have you noted any? I listen AM here a lot (AM 780 in Chicago), so that might be an issue for some people.

You can test it first. EL stuff is cool in my book! I wanna do a dashboard in that one of these days! I have several sheets of it somewhere.

I drove my cadillac today and I had no trouble with the am stations no stadic

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

What year did they change to electro luminescent? I've been told that the older cars, like late'70s had little bulbs. And my '83 looks that way too.

I don't know to much about when they had or strips with a invertor.But I am sure someone out there does.

I'm not sure when they changed from light to strip with am invertor.But I am sure someone out there does. Left out LIGHT in last message.

sean klyne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 cadillac brougham d, elgance

Re: cheap opera light fix

hi Dill I was just wondering if this would work with 12volt led strips and do you remove the invertor in the trunk and wire the wires together and then they become 12volt any help would be great as I am trying to finish restoring a 1989 brougham for my dad

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

This is a seven year old post, dill hasn't been here for a long time. Keep us posted on your fix.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

He may be pickled by now.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

my bad I should have read the post date any how do any of you guys know if his fix worked or not

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by sean klyne View Post
    my bad I should have read the post date any how do any of you guys know if his fix worked or not
    I have no idea but if you come up with one then let me know. I suppose removing the inverter would deliver the necessary 12v for an easier fix than electrotape.

will be trying this weekend I will post results maybe a pic

Still around and lights are still working. It's hard to the strips the last time I looked.
    Dill

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I take it back! Dill's in the house!

Captdees is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 cadillac phaeton

[QUOTE=sean klyne;3369778]hi Dill I was just wondering if this would work with 12volt led strips and do you remove the invertor in the trunk and wire the wires together and then they become 12volt any help would be great as I am trying to finish restoring a 1989 brougham for my dad[/QUOT

If this is the fix that's being inquired, then yes it does work. I tried the LED strip solution first, minus the inverter and it worked very well with a straight 12V. However, in my own personal opinion it looks cheap as hell (sorry). The LED's are SUPER bright and you can see each individual light as opposed to the smooth even light dispersale of the EL tape. I even tried frosting the hell out of the lenses and it still shined through really bright. Needless to say, i dumped the LED's for EL tape and a new inverter and have been happy ever since.

Eric

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.