Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Drove from Nova Scotia to British Columbia in my 96 FWB!

798 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  darntootin 
#1 ·
What a trip... what a car! My 1996 Fleetwood Brougham has the V4P & VO8 factory towing packages, and I towed a TNT 5x8 trailer loaded to the hilt with my personal belongings. Total trailer and cargo weight was about 2400 lbs. The car performed flawlessly. Starting with 159,xxx kms, (a little more than 99,400 miles) six days later I ended up in Maple Ridge British Columbia with 166,000+ kms (approx 103,150+ miles).

The only visible wear was the need for a new serpentine belt (a bit of a PITA to install with the fan and extra brackets to contend with).

The trip is one I shall cherish forever, for there is nothing more beautiful than the Maritime villages and towns... the uniqueness of the people of Quebec... the challenge of travelling through Northern Ontario... The colourful Prairie Provinces... and of course the ultimate driving experience as I drove through the mountains... Roger's Pass... Revelstoke... the beautiful and awe-inspiring beauty of British Columbia, and finally arriving at the end of the Coquihalla Highway which can be a challenge to both driver and car.

I did experience a problem... I stopped in Pembroke Ontario for advice on why my rear-end dragged so low. I was told by Janice and Jim Clouthier of JC's Storage Company, Pembroke Ontario, (very knowledgeable in RV's and towing technologies) my load had to be re-distributed to put heavier goods (tool boxes) towards the back of the trailer. These friendly and generous people provided me with a covered area to empty and reload my trailer that protected me from the predicted rain showers. It rained, but I was able to accomplish the reloading within a reasonable time and stayed dry. Their generosity extended to not charging me for their help... however, I bought two radial trailer tires from them as the bias-ply ones were showing unusual wear.

The best memories of the trip are the warmth and friendliness of all the people I met on the road... from the gas station attendants... the Clouthiers... to the people in restaurants and hotel/motels, I discovered a Canada full of vistas... humour... large smiles... and I acquired a different kind of pride in my country and the people.

I recommend at least one such a trip in a lifetime to anyone in North America, be it across Canada or across the USA, as it opened my eyes to the length and breadth of my beautiful country.

...and don't be afraid to do it in a 19 year-old (1996) Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

If I can do it alone at 77 years-old... so can you!

See less See more
#2 ·
What a pleasure to read a feedback posted above , thanks for sharing your epic adventure with us
:icon_highfive:

Reactions: pompste
#3 ·
Sounds like a fun trip! I've always wanted to drive across the country. Don't know if i'd necessarily trust an older car to do it tho but on the plus side the parts that would fail on a Fleetwood are easier to get then ones for a lot of other cars if something does go wrong.

#6 ·
Fortunately I completed my tremendous journey before the forest fires began. It's hard to fathom that so many fires are still burning in Saskatchewan... Alberta and British Columbia. I didn't travel in the specific fire areas, but the damage to pristine areas of North America is the same regardless of where it occurs.

However, I can't help repeating my joy of having completed the trip.

Should you aspire to travel from ocean to ocean... don't be afraid of old cars... check them thoroughly and have a mechanic verify the car is in excellent condition and you will embark on your trip with peace of mind so you can enjoy each mile.

PS: I also joined the Canadian Automobile Association... just in case... and don't speed... take your time and your car/vehicle will perform admirably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.