1978 Cadillac Fleetwood question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone Recently I have watched movie called "Revolver" and in there they have 2 insanely mint Cadillac's. Anyone who ...
    Omega-Red is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1978 Cadillac Fleetwood question

Hi everyone

Recently I have watched movie called "Revolver" and in there they have 2 insanely mint Cadillac's. Anyone who have seen that movie would know exactly what I'm talking about. One of them was 1978 Fleetwood I believe. I'm just wondering about 2 things.

1.) Why is it so hard to find one for sale.

2.) It has a very thirsty and low power engine. Is it worth doing an engine swap on that car? Can the body handle 300 HP or so?

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classi....Fleetwood.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood question

Quote Originally Posted by Omega-Red

2.) It has a very thirsty and low power engine. Is it worth doing an engine swap on that car? Can the body handle 300 HP or so?

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classi....Fleetwood.jpg
    There are a lot of 1978 Cadillacs out there, especially on ebay, its tough finding the Fleetwood over a Sedan or Coupe deVille though.

The 425 isn't exactly "low power", it makes decent power nowadays, but it was pretty good in its day. Yes you can do an engine swap, the most popular choices are the 500 and 472 from 1968-76, and yes, that body can handle much more than 300hp easily.

P.S. There is a VERY cool '79 Coupe deVille in "Goodfellas". It is a phaeton edition in a medium saddle ruidoso color. Beeauuutifiul!

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    There are a lot of 1978 Cadillac's out there, especially on eBay, its tough finding the Fleetwood over a Sedan or Coupe deVille though.

The 425 isn't exactly "low power", it makes decent power nowadays, but it was pretty good in its day. Yes you can do an engine swap, the most popular choices are the 500 and 472 from 1968-76, and yes, that body can handle much more than 300hp easily.

P.S. There is a VERY cool '79 Coupe Deville in "Goodfellas". It is a phaeton edition in a medium saddle ruidoso color. Beeauuutifiul!
    I found only 1 for sale and that was on some website were I found that pic. There are a lot of Fleetwood on eBay but they are all 1980's plus and I like that one specificly because of the back window part.

It's a lot bigger and wider (frame wise). How much do they usually go for? And how hard is it to find a black on black in decent condition?

About the engine. If I am not making a mistake from my research it has a 7.7L engine with about 140 ish + hp? and about 240 + tq? please correct me if I'm wrong. Also those engines are kind of thirsty judging from what i have read on some of the reviews. LT1/LS1 would be a good swap what do you think?

I never seen movie good fellas but I will check it out for sure asap.

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classi...500/98984.html

I dont know where you got 140hp and 240lb/ft, thats something more fitting to a 307 Olds V8.

The 425 was rated at 180hp and 320lb/ft for the 4bbl version, and 195hp and 320 lb/ft for the FI version. More than adequate power, even for the 4900lb '78 Eldorado!

I would assume mileage around 11 city/ 18 highway for one in good tune.

I am not sure if the LT1 or LS1 would be possible due to electronics (or lack there of) but it would be interesting.

WOW 49000 lb's? sounds like H1

Actually those are decent engine stats. So can you tell me what is the average price I should be looking at when buying one?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I owned a 78 Fleetwood. I got it for $1k, in not the best condition. If you put an LT1/LS1 in there, that's a pretty foolish plan. If you want decent economy, maybe. If you're looking for power go for 500/472ci, there's a 500 powered yellow 79 Coupe Deville (same chassis) that runs mid 10s all motor (albeit at 13:1 with a bit lighter weight.) The 78 Fleetwood weighs in a bit over 4300lbs.

11 city is selling it a bit short IMO, if I'm getting a bit over 13 at the last fillup, all city in a 500ci/5200lb 75 Deville. 18 highway is probably pretty accurate.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Hi,

I have a 1979 Sedan deVille, which has the same driveline as a 1978 Fleetwood Brougham, and I have driven the car from Hudson, Wisconsin to Sarasota, Florida twice this winter. On these trips, I drove, on average, 75 miles per hour and the gas mileage was consistently 15 to 17 mpg. EPA fuel economy ratings from 1979 were 14 city and 20 highway. Those ratings were from an era when the maximum highway speed in the country was 55 mph and I think the estimate of 20 mpg on the highway would be accurate if we actually did drive that slow. The 4 barrel 425 has plenty of power and is exceptionally smooth and quiet and the 425 engine is incredibly simple and durable.

Truly nice examples of the 1977-1979 425 Cads seem harder and harder to find and prices can range from a few hundred bucks to over $10k. I purchased my car last October for $4,500 with 61k miles and it's exceptionally nice. I've gone overboard and invested another $2-3k renewing everything from exhaust, radiator, tires, shocks, springs, suspension, belts, hoses...everything, in order to make the car 100% roadworthy and safe for driving on the long road trips I enjoy taking regularly. It's amazing how pleasruable these cars are to drive especially considering they are getting really old. I wish Cadillac still made cars like these.

Have fun and good luck in the search!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville

11 city is selling it a bit short IMO, if I'm getting a bit over 13 at the last fillup, all city in a 500ci/5200lb 75 Deville.
    Well shit! I got an average of 13MPG in my LT1 Roadmaster with 138-151k miles, but I drove it like a Corvette! How is 13MPG possible in a '75 Deville? Do you granny it or what?

I don't granny it too much. I wind it out (all the way to its stock shift point of like 3400) once in awhile. It's got so much low end that I rarely see much over 1800rpm during regular driving.

Thank's guys for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I don't granny it too much. I wind it out (all the way to its stock shift point of like 3400) once in awhile. It's got so much low end that I rarely see much over 1800rpm during regular driving.
    Stock shift point of 3400?! Thats like a Diesel! What is the redline? Like 4000rpm?

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Exclamation Re: 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood question

P.S. There is a VERY cool '79 Coupe deVille in "Goodfellas". It is a phaeton edition in a medium saddle ruidoso color. Beeauuutifiul!
    I'm in love with that car!!! BTW the color is Western Saddle Firemist with Briar Brown top and Antique Saddle interior, I know everything about that car

Theirs also this one... I like it too, its so differant.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I had that same exact Phaeton.. I gave it away for Free.. Imagine? It ran 100% perfect and was in near mint condition.. I gave it to a neighbors son, who wrecked it in a few days.. Back then, I wasn't the psychotic Cadillac enthusiast that I am today. I wish I had been...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

Is the close up of Ray Liotta's ass really necessary?

Stock shift point of 3400?! Thats like a Diesel! What is the redline? Like 4000rpm?
    A WOT shift is about 34-3500, BUT then again I'm not sure if my throttle linkage has full travel. It is not fast and I don't race anybody in it right now so I haven't looked into it. New stock valvesprings will cause valve float around 4200, so 118k mile 31 year old vavlesprings are going to be even worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.