Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1979 Coupe Deville

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  carnut 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I just registered to the forum today, and had a quick question. My '79 coupe deville is in great shape (garage kept), and has around 86k miles now. Iv only had a few minor problems, and my dad and I were able to fix them. However, yesterday I was commuting to college (roughly 20 mile trip there, and 20 back), and once I hit around 45-50 MPH, the car started to chug a bit. There was a very strong wind, so I thought it might have been that, but this morning I noticed the problem again, but it was much more noticeable. If I keep on the accelerator, the chugs get longer. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, we arent too sure why its doing this.

Thanks all, let me know if you need any more info!

#5 ·
I agree. Change the fuel filter first! To do this you MUST have the proper line wrenches or you'll damage the inlet pipe at the carb. Place the two wrenches on the fittings then bang the wrench with your hand. Dont just pull on the wrench, you'll round off the inlet nut. And on your next post list the complaint in your title. Not what car you have. "My car bogs, misses at 65?" for instance.

#6 ·
As stated, check for proper fuel pressure and flow under throttle. If fuel pressure is correct, move on to spark. Check plugs, wires, distributor, and coil. If all is well there, examine the carb for proper setting and operation. As a last check, be sure there are no restrictions in the exhaust.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.