Bumper filler install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Bumper filler install in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been reading the forum for a short while, and wanted to ask a question or two. I purchased a ...
    77 Coupe Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Bumper filler install

I've been reading the forum for a short while, and wanted to ask a question or two. I purchased a 77 Couple DeVille to drive in the winter (as the Corvette sits in the garage), but I'm enjoying it so much I'd like to fix it up and I'm thinking about keeping it. Overall the car is in good shape with the exception of some surface body rust on the trunk, & like alot of these that I've seen, it's plactic is crumbling. Most noticeably on the bumperfillers in the back. I found a junkyard that sent me two maroon replacements, which I painted gold to match the car. My question is, I'm assuming I'll need to remove the bumper to replace these? There is a lip where these install so I tried to fit one on without removing the bumper, but no luck so far there.
    Has anybody done this, that could share some wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Bumper filler install

There was a post recently discussing this if you scroll down. I have not done this myself although from what I've read on this forum the procedure is not that difficult.

77 Coupe Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks. I'm looking for it now.

I found a few of the old threads and it looks like I'm in good shape, as hopefully I'll just have to remove the tail light section, and not the entire 29 year old bumper.

Looks like I've got a little garage time project on my hands.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The bumper is very easy to remove. If you spray the 8 mounting studs ahead of time it practically falls off. The tail lights still need to come out before pulling the bumper in order to pop the lamp sockets out. The bumper is not all that heavy. Just keep track of the E shaped shims and it will go back together without trouble.

artjoyce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille, 2003 DeVille, countless others previously.

Actually, for several of the Cadillac rear quarters, it isn't absolutely necessary to remove the bumper completely.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

On these cars ('77- '79) it is easier to crawl under the car and remove the four bolts that hold the energy absorbers in the frame. You have to remove the top two bolts at the front of the energy absorber on the right side to remove the tailpipe hanger. Then the whole assembly pulls back and you can let the assembly hang in the frame tubes while you disconnect the taillight connectors and the fiber optics. Go into the trunk and remove the fasteners that hold the quarter extensions to the quarters. The rest of the fillers are also available without removing the assembly. Do it this way and you don't have to worry too much about the alignment of the assembly to the back of the extensions, unless they are real bad.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I've only replaced fillers on an 80-92 car, and removed them from a 93-96. You don't need to remove the bumper. I would strongly suspect the 77-79 would be the same.

This is an old thread : )

I've done them both ways.

Neither is much easier.

Having the bumper completely out of the way helps lining up stuff when you want to view it for alignment from a distance.

Leaving the shims helps alignment go faster.

6 of one, half dozen. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    deVille33 likes this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

This is an old thread : )
    Yes, it seems that every old bumper filler thread has been bumped by someone trying to sell repro fillers.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I think taking the whole bumper assembly off, as Ape Man says, makes it easier to get the quarter extensions lined up properly, which is a pita, especially if dealing with the aftermarket parts. The only real issue is to be sure not to scratch the extensions when putting the bumper back on. I find that a floor jack, and an extra set of hands helps to balance the heavy assembly and get it into place.
    deVille33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Yes, it seems that every old bumper filler thread has been bumped by someone trying to sell repro fillers.
    Well you can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck : )

For you spammers selling bumper fillers here's a flash:
    Make bumper fillers that fit and you will sell lots of them.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    How hard can it be to reproduce urethane fillers? GM made them so it can't be that impossible. A business opportunity awaits someone who can figure it out and make it happen!
    talismandave likes this.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    How hard can it be to reproduce urethane fillers? GM made them so it can't be that impossible. A business opportunity awaits someone who can figure it out and make it happen!
    That would be great, but the conventional method of manufacture of Urethane products requires the use of production dies, which are expensive to machine. You would also need a plastics injection machine. You could possibly get the machine cheaper than the dies. I have not found out anything, as of yet, if a additive printer could make parts of Urethane.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I find it hard to believe that GM has not tapped into this market themselves. There are so many older GM cars with those fillers, and all of them are pretty far off from the original parts. Since they have the molds, and the technology has changed over the years, (I'm thinking they could use better plastic/rubber) I would think they could sell new GM fillers as fast as they could make them.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 78 Coupe View Post
    I find it hard to believe that GM has not tapped into this market themselves. There are so many older GM cars with those fillers, and all of them are pretty far off from the original parts. Since they have the molds, and the technology has changed over the years, (I'm thinking they could use better plastic/rubber) I would think they could sell new GM fillers as fast as they could make them.
    I'd buy a set for my lesabre. even though no one else seems to notice they're missing
    (and think of all the fillerless box caprices running around)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.