Cadillac Owners Forum banner

95 Brougham no low beams

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  95 Brougham 
#1 ·
All of a sudden I have no low beams....

high beams work, twilight still turns on marker lights and times out properly.
Turning switch on and off and wiggling the dimmer no effect.
Replaced the headlight switch...no change

car has 143K on it.

Any ideas or seen before? guess I'm on it with my multimeter tomorrow....

#2 ·
It's a bad dimmer switch. Located on the top of the steering column. You drop the column (easy) to get to it. Two nuts, and an electrical connection. Any parts store can get it for you. NOT the same part as Caprice and Roadmaster, Cadillac has the "Flash to Pass" feature. Used to be popular to swap the Cadillac switch into the Caprice/Roadmaster/SS...

This is an older car, but it works the same. Take off the lower dash panel, take out the two big nuts on the column, and lower the column down and let the wheel rest on the seat.

Switch looks similar to this. The mounts for the bolts are slotted so you align the switch with the rod from the turn signal lever properly. Then, snug the bolts down, and pull the pin that locks the new switch.

Good luck, you can do it!

#3 ·
Jay, thanks for the how to. In the middle of it and just came back to look at the pics. Not difficult but what a PITA, lol....had to do it twice as I didn't tighten one nut all the way and the shift cable got bound up and wouldn't move. It would shift with the column dropped but when you lifted it and tightened it up the cable turned just enough to not shift. the cable is mounted on top of the dimmer switch...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.