Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"GEN" light at low idle

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  drmenard 
#1 ·
1970 DeVille Convertible
I changed out the alternator and voltage regulator after my car began starting hard with a low battery. The alternator output was about 11.75 before I changed it out. After changing the components out I get great voltage at higher RPM's but at idle the GEN light glows even though I am getting over 12 volts, I was hoping a few caddy owner had some experience with this. Thank you in advance.

#5 ·
Did you put a new regulator in it as well? Unless you have the necessary meters, you really need to have an electric shop look at the installation.

When I first went to a single wire alternator, it slowly killed my battery if I didn't get it up to 2000 rpm and kept it there for awhile. Got a proper regulator hooked back up and it's been fine for several years.

#7 ·
Try this test. With the motor off , grab the fins on the alt. pulley and turn and see if you can make it slip on the belt.. If it slips that's it.. could be the wrong belt.. Some places sell belts that don't fit these old cars well.. It could be hitting the bottom of the pulley , should be hitting just the sides...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.