Caddy Put Cb Radios In These Things? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Caddy Put Cb Radios In These Things? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Dope Star! Cadillac trivia! Yes, Cadillac did have cellular telephones available starting in 1986 on the deVille/Fleetwood/Eldorado/Seville. The last ...
    Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Re: Caddy Put Cb Radios In These Things?

Hey Dope Star!

Cadillac trivia! Yes, Cadillac did have cellular telephones available starting in 1986 on the deVille/Fleetwood/Eldorado/Seville. The last year they were shown in sales literature was 1989.

Cadillac did a nice job integrating the cell phones into either the front folding armrest in deVille/Fleetwood or under the console in Eldo/Seville.

Dave

1990CaddyBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB

Hey quick ??

i replaced my 90 broughams old not working power antenna with a used one form a 80's Brougham. This used one had 2 male connectors for the wire, now the orignal 90 one had only 1. It works, but is this other for a CB?

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Well yes, OnStar in 1997....

Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    I thought Cadillac put phones in the cars.... Did they do this?...................Ever?

caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

The Old 1979 Cadi we had came with a CB and 8-Track. Looked Factory to me.

corvettejohn86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

Yes they put phones in them. Mine had one and so does my Brother's 1999 Escalade.
    I would have to agree that a Ham Radio is much better. More power and distance! I'm a Truck Driver and I'm installing a Connex 3300HP "Big Betty," with Red Nitro Rings under the Breasts!! And for Antennas... I'm installing a "Wilson 1000," Thru The Roof style. No cables running across the roof.

----------

Just make sure that what ever Antenna you use... You have a CB shop set up your,"SWRs" on the Antenna or you could "FRY" your radio!!!! The hardest part about the CB is where to mount it where it would look good!! I'm mounting mine on dash in a Custom made Fiberglass enclosure.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Resurrecting an 8 year old thread, not bad.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I have a AM/FM/cassette/cb radio sitting at home from an 86 d'elegance. It's quite a bulky heavy contraption. I do wonder....where were you supposed to put the handset? I didn't see any factory hanger for it. Did it just sit on the ground?

If you don't have the clip for the microphone chances are the radio wasn't original to the car.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham
    If you don't have the clip for the microphone chances are the radio wasn't original to the car.
    Where was it usually located? I've seen a few 77-79 buick/ olds full sizes with them and no clip that I saw (always though it was odd that the handset just sat on the floor....then again, I thought it weird that the cb came out under the dash).
    As for the radio I have, I'm guessing the radio was original since the wiring didn't look hacked up (I think the seperate cb box had an extra couple wires, but I could be wrong on that) but who knows since the car was 27 years old?. The power antenna did have a cylinder on the outside of it, which I found quite odd, as it wouldn't let the antenna go all the way into the fender.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

This is how it looks on a 1979. Ignore the ugly temp monitor & general awfulness of the picture. Was taken originally to show the gauge (ironically)

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

^^ That's the original location and an original factory clip. There is an extra box mounted behind the radio up close to the lower w/s header. I have the one out of my 81 car sitting in a box in the basement.

Cheers......R.

----------

^^ That's the original location and an original factory clip. There is an extra box mounted behind the radio up close to the lower w/s header. I have the one out of my 81 car sitting in a box in the basement.

Cheers......R.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

tumblr_m3bub9MdI41r212eho1_500 (1).png
    Couldn't resist.

I had a CB radio in my 89 Brougham for a while. Also had a loudspeaker set up behind the grill. It was good fun. Depending on your area, the CB is pretty interesting. You hear the occasional truck driver, of course, but then there's people who seem to use it as their main form of communication, the precursor of an internet chat. I used to have this guy who called himself the Hillbilly, he'd be on almost 24/7, probably retired. He was a riot. Complained about everything and anything and didn't care who listened. It was kind of like an amateur late night talk show, only with more swearing.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Dealers did a lot of radio swapping back in the day. I remember that they had display boards of all the radio units that they would put in for you.

I could be wrong, would have to do some research, but I think 1985 was the last year the CB was a factory option, maybe 1986, do you want me to hit the books and find out for sure? You know I will... 1977 was the first year it was a factory option, I know that for sure. My family 77 Sedan deVille had it, I have pictures.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Hello!

1976?! The factory CB was an option starting in 1977 in full size GM cars and they were dropped as an option in the mid 1980's. If your 1976 car has a CB actually built into the radio it likely had a radio from a newer car fitted at some point. CB radios were as hip back in the late 1970's as Ipods are now. EVERYONE seemed to be breaker one-9ing with every trucker on the highway!There was a whole code lingo everyone exchanged on the air and looking back it was pretty funny since everyone is on the cell phone now and CB radios allowed you to chat with no one in particular.

Have fun with your CB, good buddy! :-)

Dave
    And the reason why it was a popular option
    1974 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act that prohibited speed limits higher than 55 miles per hour.

The NMSL was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited access, rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit setting authority to the states.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law

Oh those were some miserable years.
    Sammy Hagar even did a song about it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.