Death of a Brougham - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Death of a Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It takes a good sized extinguisher to put out a gasoline fire like the one that killed this car. Sorry ...
    the APEMAN is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Re: Death of a Brougham

It takes a good sized extinguisher to put out a gasoline fire like the one that killed this car.

Sorry it went this way. Been there with wrecks caused by others.

DaBuddha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham

i do like the sofa idea lol, would be pretty awesome sitting in my living room
    talismandave likes this.

so i got a bit done on her today, sanded and primed the fire damaged quarter panels. We had a pretty bad rainstorm for about a week, had to get some primer on there to stop the rust.

its not the best painting ive ever done, but it will keep that rust off for a while so i can save the money ill need
    77CDV, csbuckn, outsider and 1 others like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

So you've opted for restoration. I admire your dedication to the car. This is gonna be an epic project thread! Good luck, dude!
    talismandave likes this.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Yes. Keep us posted.

I notice there are no hood springs. Is that somehow a result of the fire, or were they missing before?

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Thats pretty cool. Auntie has a big smile on her face.
    talismandave likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You should ask a Mod to change the title to "Re-birth of a Brougham
    77CDV likes this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I too admire the dedication and love the supporters! Crazy but fun!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

At first it seemed a bit too much of a project too, but seeing Sam post here reminded me that he started with a coupe body shell and basically built a Cadillac around it.

This really isn't that kind of job!

Hey....I'm all in! (From the distant safety of my computer mind you.)
    77CDV, csbuckn and bigm57ict like this.

the springs were a casualty of the fire, the entire hood is gone, its warped and has a nice hole in it from a fire axe lol

my next step is to get in there and pull all the parts that cant be saved and haul them to the scrap yard, the radiator fan being one of them, the mounts and blades melted, gonna have to chisel the melted aluminum off the drive shaft, this will take a lot of time and money, but I couldn't let her go

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You have more dedication than I would. Every plastic and rubber part. Brake hoses. O rings. Wiring. Vacuum lines. Bushings. It will never end.

I'm glad that our members are cheering you on... but I'm not sure how realistic your project is.

Before you get too deep, before you spend money, before you waste time... consider a replacement. These cars are not expensive. It will cost you much more to fix that car than to find a nice one. It's hard to say goodbye, but sometimes... it's the right thing to do.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    You have more dedication than I would. Every plastic and rubber part. Brake hoses. O rings. Wiring. Vacuum lines. Bushings. It will never end.

I'm glad that our members are cheering you on... but I'm not sure how realistic your project is.

Before you get too deep, before you spend money, before you waste time... consider a replacement. These cars are not expensive. It will cost you much more to fix that car than to find a nice one. It's hard to say goodbye, but sometimes... it's the right thing to do.
    That's what I still say too but at this point I think it's pointless to talk him out of out. He already saw the light but then suddenly went in the other direction.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I have to admit I was happily more than half in the bag when I added my cheer to the insanity of what on the face is saving a dear old Cadillac with sentimental value. After reading about the melted aluminum and other severe destruction I realized this project is destined to become an economic albatross and waste of blood, sweat, and tears in futile pursuit of attempting to resurrect a car that has been terminally wrecked, and I bet any further examinations will prove this even more completely. It would seem to make much more sense to instead spend time searching for a similar replacement car, perhaps naming it after dear Auntie, and moving ahead with life which will be a far happier choice and finer tribute.
    amunderdog and CADforce69 like this.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Sir, I say this with all due respect. Take everyone's advice here and let her go. Please let me explain why.
    First of all, I totally respect and admire your attachment to this car- if you take anything from what I am saying, or anyone else here is saying please understand that.
    Secondly, I will never be right. You don't want your aunt's memory tarnished with frustration.
    Third, Take what she has given you and expand on it. Her gift to you has opened your eyes to the magic of Cadillacs. Take that and run with it. Buy another one and then trade it for another and then another. At some point you will have a car that people come out of the woodwork to see. You an relish everyone who comes out to see your new car with the story of how your aunt got you started in the Cadillac world.

Now if you decide to redo this one, we all stand behind you and wish you the best of luck
    Just a thought--- Also, did you check with your insurance company? Is a fire covered under comprehensive coverage and did you have that?
    Jeff

unfortunately I had the cheapest insurance, and this was not covered.

now, I'm not trying to make it seem like I am ignoring the obviously sound advice from you guys, but I will attempt to restore this car, if nothing else then its a way for me to learn more about working on cars, worst case scenario my wallet will be lighter and the car wont be in any worse shape than it is now

best case scenario, I will have a car with one hell of a story behind it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.