Death of a Brougham - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Death of a Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I agree with posts 9 and 10 Buy another one, keep that one in the shed for parts and memories....
    amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Death of a Brougham

I agree with posts 9 and 10
    Buy another one, keep that one in the shed for parts and memories.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

I agree with the walk away folks. I hate to be a downer cause I know what it's like to have a family car get passed down to me. I kept it alive for years longer than anyone expected but there was a point when I had to give up.
    That's going to take more money that I can even imagine to source all the damaged parts and the resources required to rebuilt it will be high. All the coatings on all the steel structure will be burnt off. it'll be completely bare to the elements and it'll start rusting faster than you've ever seen. That engine has probably got to come out. Based on the melted radiator and sagging bumper, it got hot enough to affect the metal, I wouldn't trust much of what was under the hood no matter what it was made of.
    It'll be easier and much much cheaper to find a good similar car and swap all the good parts over and say it's close enough to the original, in the end you'll be almost at the same amount of "original car" except the frame and quarter panels as you would be trying to rebuild this one and you'll have a ton of spare parts for down the road.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The head says to let the car go and move on. The heat from that fire has surely warped the cowl and possibly the frame itself. Even with the generosity of the great members here, you're gonna go broke trying to put this right, and as a previous poster said, it'll never really be right.

That said, I understand your emotional connection to this car and your desire to fix it. And when it comes to old cars, the heart usually tells to head to sit down and have a nice hot mug of STFU. I wish you luck. You're in for a long road of hard work.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I'm attached to my cars but if that was mine I'd take whatever parts I could and let the rest go. There's all sorts of sealer and paint it would have burned off that you'll never get back on right. The wiring and everything else that went poof. Not to mention the possible damage to the metal itself. There will always be something about it that'll remind you of what happend and bother you.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Always remember your dear Aunt, and remember this Cadillac just as fondly. Both have died. Let them rest in peace. It is not too late for organ donation.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    The only way to save it and not be a total nightmare is to find a another car wrecked in back and swap everything up front onto the burnt up car. As for wiring, not sure what options your car has but that would be a large item to tackle amd make sure it was correct.

DaBuddha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham

I may end up taking yall's advice, but I'm hard headed and young, we'll see what I'm able to do lol.

worst case scenario, there are plenty of parts still usable on the back 2/3s of the car

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

You're beginning to see the light. First step, buy a small bottle of reasonably good Scotch. Second step, a deck chair, a crystal glass and some ice cubes. Third step, on a nice sunny day, sit in the deck chair in front of the car and sip the Scotch slowly. Think of the car as it used to be and of your dear old aunt who once owned it. You will begin to feel better and better as the bottle gets emptier until at last you will be able to begin your search for a really nice replacement car at a reasonable price. You might even get lucky and find a super clean (and inexpensive) late 80's FWB that's taken a poke in the back end and needs a deck lid and rear bumper.
    Trust me, I know the Scotch will work for you.

Cheers........R.
    77CDV and j2rossit like this.

I happen to have about a 1/4 gallon of moonshine, sounds like a good substitute, and it is a nice sunny day....

until then, I have a little 4 cylinder ford until I can once again ride in style
    77CDV and larryinalabama like this.

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

Sorry, but that car is toast!

I wouldn't even consider restoring it. I know how it feels Ive lost a few cars that I loved, and it is sort of like loosing a real good Dog.

Id take the trunk lock cover and make a fridge magnet, or put it on the glove box lid of the replacement Brougham.

It is good to see feller that love these cars.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

My Brougham is resting quietly in my back yard ever since she was decommissioned. Too bad you weren't closer, I'd let you have it for a song, just to know that her parts would go to such a noble cause.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with the guys. I also am glad to see a young guy smitten with the old Cadillacs!

Look for a nice replacement, get a couple of options on it yours is missing. Then transfer as many good parts of your car to it to make it a "tribute car" to your aunt.

Also....put a fire extinguisher in the trunk of the new one.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with the guys. I also am glad to see a young guy smitten with the old Cadillacs!

Look for a nice replacement, get a couple of options on it yours is missing. Then transfer as many good parts of your car to it to make it a "tribute car" to your aunt.

Also....put a fire extinguisher in the trunk of the new one.
    Seriously doing the fire extinguisher mod on both my cars tomorrow.

Sorry about the car man, but even if you did fix everything, I think you'd still be smelling smoke every time you fired up the a/c or heat. Plus I'm betting the heat warped the frame, engine crossmember, firewall, something.

the crazy part is, im a ford man, always have been, but there is just something about a big body caddy, cant let em go lol

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Once you've taken the parts you need, a sawzall will turn the 1/4s/taillights/bumper into a very cool sofa that would be a nice tribute to your aunt.
    outsider and talismandave like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.