Thoughts....Vehicle trading
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Thoughts....Vehicle trading in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All, I'm currently in the process of negotiating a trade with a gentleman who has a 76 Fleetwood Talisman ...
    Captdees is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton, 1967 Convertible, 1975 Talisman

Thoughts....Vehicle trading

Hello All,
    I'm currently in the process of negotiating a trade with a gentleman who has a 76 Fleetwood Talisman for my 67 Deville convertible. I can honestly say my vehicle is in better shape than his but we're talking the holy grail of cadillacs. The talisman has a few surface rust issues but none of them appear to be that bad. I remember seeing the talisman for sale a while back on ebay. The vehicle sold a few times but due to non paying bidders the gentleman still has it. I would post pics if I knew how. The talisman is a triple black vehicle with a astroroof . My biggest concern is giving up a vehicle with no body issues for one that I know for sure is going to require some body work. Just how much is what I'm worried about. The car is located in In Dix Hill NY, perhaps someone has seen it? Am I being to paranoid? I don't want to pass up the chance to own such a coveted vehicle. What are you guys thoughts or take on the situation.

Regards,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Thoughts....Vehicle trading

Personally, I think you would be crazy to make that trade. A convertible in good condition for a sedan with rust issues? No way.
    77CDV likes this.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Quote Originally Posted by Captdees View Post
    The talisman has a few surface rust issues but none of them appear to be that bad. My biggest concern is giving up a vehicle with no body issues for one that I know for sure is going to require some body work. Just how much is what I'm worried about.
    Eric
    Not sure where you're from Eric, but if that car has been in the northeast since 1976, it has more than a few surface rust issues. I wouldn't even bother to look at it.

Tom

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

I agree.
    That is probably not a good trade unless he throws about 10k to boot.
    Then I would still have to think about it as 1976 was not a great year for American vehicles.
    America was deep into emissions mandates and fuel injection had not made the scene yet.
    The 1967 is well before emissions and is fairly easy to understand.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    No rust wins every day or even surface rust. I pass on just about every car with any rust at all. Been there sucks and don't want to go back.
    I would keep the convertible.

aaron.hudacky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado, 1978 Coupe deVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I agree with everyone else... I'd keep the '67. If you want a Talisman, find a rust-free example. Whether you sell or trade your '67 to get a Talisman, you should still end up at least breaking even and I'd think you're likely to actually come out ahead financially if you go from a convertible to a sedan, even if the Talisman is in better condition. I love Cadillac sedans and Fleetwoods in particular, but convertibles generally hold their value better, and you should use that to your advantage to get a Talisman in better condition than your convertible if a Talisman is what you want. There are exceptions to the sedan rule like the 57-58 Eldorado Brougham, but I don't think Talismans will ever appreciate as the Eldorado Brougham has.
    77CDV likes this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    ...1976 was not a great year for American vehicles... and fuel injection had not made the scene yet...
    1976 may not have been a great Cadillac model year in your opinion. I disagree strongly with your opinion.

Fuel injection was a 1976 Cadillac option and also standard on the new Seville. In fact the fuel injection option had "made the scene" on Cadillacs one model year earlier in 1975. I should also point out that Cadillac had optional both anti-skid brakes and dual front airbag restraints in 1976 and it was nearly ten years later before those features started showing up on the most expensive Mercedes-Benz models.

A Fleetwood Talisman is a masterpiece of miles of American steel coupled with the ultimate deep comfort custom Flexsteel bucket/console lounge seating plus the world's finest simulated hand carved plastic interior woodwork. There is no other car like it, even from that era, and nothing as completely over the top has been made since. Anyone can own a Cadillac convertible but only a few will ever be able to own a Talisman.

I think Cadillac not only made the scene back then but rather created the whole scene in grand and confident American style!

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

That's why I come here; To learn stuff
    http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...d1976cadi.html
    PRODUCTION CODE, ACCESSORY GROUP, OPTION (PRICE)
    KF3 AC Electronic Fuel Injection (Not available on Limousine—$647)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection
    The Cadillac Seville was introduced in 1975 with an EFI system made by Bendix and modeled very closely on Bosch's D-Jetronic.
    http://www.factualworld.com/article/Fuel_injection
    That looks like a pants load of fun.
    http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.or...topic=120544.0
    In my discussions with Gene Kowalski (now of GM Powertrain) who worked for Bendix Corporation (makers of the 1975-1979) fuel injection system approx. 1000 sets of hardware for the larger 500 cubic inch engine were produced for 1976. Most of these ended up in convertibles so your number of 800 is probably pretty close.
    http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.or...topic=102513.0
    In 1980 the Cadillac Throttle body (DFI) fuel injection was a Cadillac system not Bendix so 1979 was the last year for the Bendix system with the exception of the 1980 "California only" 350 cu inch equipped cars.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Everyone seems to be echoing my sentiment, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The Talisman is really only a "grail" because of its size and rarity. What are actually getting? A few extra badges and a center console with a flip-out notepad? Whoop-de-doo. It is, in many ways, the largest and most opulent Cadillac available during one of Cadillacs most notable eras, but compared to a 67 Deville, the car is junk. Mechanically speaking, it's okay, but the fit, finish and style of the 76 is going to fall short, and if it has rust issues, I'd run like crazy, you're just asking for trouble. Don't do it man.

If you're really looking to be screwed out of your 67 Deville, gimme a call. I'll at least buy you dinner first.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

What shape is the convertible really in? Is it all original VS the Talisman? Got any pics of the rust? Cornvertibles rust worse then normal cars do, if it looks good but has had body working in the past it could still be an OK trade for the talisman but it all depends on what condition the cars are really in.
    amunderdog likes this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Hagerty price guide (which is very accurate) lists a condition four 76 at just over $5000. It lists a condition three 67 convertible at just over $20 000. I believe my guesses on condition are accurate based on your description and Hagerty's qualifiers.

Your choice, but I'd keep the car worth four times as much every day...

Thanks Fellas! I think i knew all along that i was making a bad decision but my judgement was being clouded with my urge to own a Talisman. I can honestly say that i did not know that a 67 Convertible would be worth more that a Fleetwood Talisman. I would still like to make a trade...anyone interested?

Here's a picture of my load.

rsz_1rsz_img_0343.jpg
    77CDV, csbuckn, the APEMAN and 1 others like this.

Pay no attention to the load crap on the trunk.
    rsz_img_0409.jpg
    77CDV likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The Hagerty price sounds high for the convertible. It's not hard to find nice ones for less then half that.
    But if the convertible is as nice as it looks in the pictures it's not worth a trade for a rusty Talisman. If you want one you'd be better off selling it and using the money to buy one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.