Thoughts....Vehicle trading - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Thoughts....Vehicle trading in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Here are a few pics of the Talisman. 1.jpg 2.jpg...
    Captdees is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton, 1967 Convertible, 1975 Talisman

Re: Thoughts....Vehicle trading

Here are a few pics of the Talisman.

1.jpg2.jpg

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Oh Oh, that Talisman is worse than I expected. That is the kind of cancer that scares the crap out of me. It will be almost impossible to stay ahead of that. It needs professional restoration work right now to even think about saving it. Your convertible looks very solid. I predict 100% of us will tell you to keep your convertible. I have a convertible and I never ever put the top up, I love the fresh air too much.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

My god... please... don't trade. That Talisman is a parts car.

The Hagerty price is only for a condition 3. Two and one (serious 99 point show cars) are higher. It should be accurate, it is based on actual sales.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

That Talisman is good as a beater or parts. The only thing that should even be considered for a trade with it is something in the same condition.

The Hagerty price is out to lunch. $20K is the high end of pricing for them. If it's based on sales they're slapping a nice percentage on top to come up with their prices.

Lord Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Now: 95, 86, & 76 Fleetwood Brougham Past: 83 CDV, 92 Fltwd

I think people are being harsh on the Talisman. I've seen 74-76 Fleetwoods easily go for over $10,000 in nice condition, and they weren't Talismans. Convertibles in similar condition don't necessarily go for more. I've got offers for my 76 in the $10,000 range, but I don't care because I'll never sell it. I think the key question is: how rusty is it? You don't have to run from rust (if not excessive) if you're not going to make it a daily driver. I know some guys who got collectible cars 15+ years ago with moderate rust and fixed them up and they have never degraded. So long as they aren't being driven in salty winters or excessive rain and are being garage kept, time will almost stand still for them. Bad rust is one thing, but mild rust is something else. Also, some people with these vehicles in the "horrible" northeast bought them with preservation in mind. I bought my 76 in New Hampshire, but it was virtually rust-free because it had been treated as a collectible early in its life. I live in the Northeast and see older cars a lot - in the summer. Many here know better than to drive an old car they want preserved during the winter or on wet, murky days, so although the northeast may be a red flag, it does not mean you should automatically dismiss the car.

For me, what made Cadillac great was its devotion to luxury and excess, and the Fleetwood Talisman of that era was the epitome of excess and the end of cars of its kind. Those Talismans were roughly 234 inches long, 80 inches wide (any wider they would need running lights) and around 5200 pounds. True, the build quality is a bit sloppier than the 60s cars, but it is still a robust and solid vehicle, super comfortable, and really unique. I would actually own a Talisman, but you lose seating with those stupid middle consoles, and part of excess for me is being able to seat 6 people if I want. They should have made them removable. That convertible looks great, but I wouldn't dismiss the Talisman quite as easily as many others here. After all, it was the Cadillac of the Cadillac of Cadillacs!

----------

Oh dear, left my computer for a while and posted my post before seeing those pictures. It should be restored, not junked, but is definitely not worth trading your convertible. Poor Talisman! That rust under the back window is typical, spreads like a cancer, and is difficult to fix. Better luck next time.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

As someone who has restored a car with severe rust issues, all I can say is, DON'T! You'll lose your shirt and still won't end up with as nice a car as you have now. Be patient. The Talisman package was rare, but they do come up, and in far better condition.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Keep your car, make a low cash offer on the Talisman.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Personally, I think you would be crazy to make that trade. A convertible in good condition for a sedan with rust issues? No way.
    I must agree with Jay on this one.

Sure the Talismans were unique, but the 68-70 DeVille Convertibles (and 65-67 as well, even though they lack the 472) are extremely desirable Cadillacs. the interiors are gorgeous, they have nearly every amenity that the later cars had (and that some modern cars still do not have) and their body lines just look great.

These were the ultimate develpment of the full size convertible and they didn't have all that engine strangulation for emissions and fuel mileage that 1971 & up cars had.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    I agree.
    That is probably not a good trade unless he throws about 10k to boot.
    Then I would still have to think about it as 1976 was not a great year for American vehicles.
    America was deep into emissions mandates and fuel injection had not made the scene yet.
    The 1967 is well before emissions and is fairly easy to understand.
    No emmissions on the 67, and minimal on 68-70. Plus they had the nice high compression engines.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    That Talisman is good as a beater or parts. The only thing that should even be considered for a trade with it is something in the same condition.

The Hagerty price is out to lunch. $20K is the high end of pricing for them. If it's based on sales they're slapping a nice percentage on top to come up with their prices.
    This past Jan, a 1968 DeVille Convertible that would be somewhere between a 2 and 3 - with NO Climate Control and no other "cool" options, sole for 30,000 at a Mecum auction in Kissimmee. I was there, specifically to look at that car and a couple other Cadillacs. Th paint and seats were nice, the the bottom floor pans had been replaced, and like i said - NO Climate Control, which was installed on some 95% of all Cadillacs in 1968.

I Like Fleetwoods. My two most favored body styles are RWD Convertibles (DeVilles and pre 67 ElDoados), and Fleewwood Broughams (and late 60s Sixty Specials). And when I saw the Talismans in the catalogs, I liked them but today they are not worth as much as a convertible in the same condition and this one is not in the same condition as the convertible.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

That '67 is really cute.

The Talisman, not so much and it's hurting.
    77CDV likes this.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by Captdees View Post
    Thanks Fellas! I think i knew all along that i was making a bad decision but my judgement was being clouded with my urge to own a Talisman. I can honestly say that i did not know that a 67 Convertible would be worth more that a Fleetwood Talisman. I would still like to make a trade...anyone interested?
    Why on earth do you want to unload that beautiful car? Just tired of it?

You can have my 95 Fleetwood. Only 40,000 miles on the clock!

Old pic. She's got chrome rims on her now. And I wasn't kidding about buying you dinner!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'll chip in for dessert!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.