89 Cadillac brougham with olds 307 hesitates badly, sometimes stalls
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By outsider
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 89 Cadillac brougham with olds 307 hesitates badly, sometimes stalls in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So recently my 307 in my 89 broughtm has started to have a rough curb idle, hesitates a lot when ...
    ccfreim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

89 Cadillac brougham with olds 307 hesitates badly, sometimes stalls

So recently my 307 in my 89 broughtm has started to have a rough curb idle, hesitates a lot when going from a complete stop in drive (Like pulling away from a stop sign or red light) and sometimes it stalls when it is dropped into drive or reverse and the gas is applied. i replaced all vacuum lines hoping this would resolve the problem, but that didn't help. Anyone else had this problem before or know why needs done to fix this? thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: 89 Cadillac brougham with olds 307 hesitates badly, sometimes stalls

Check your EGR valve. A quick way to test it is to pull the vacuum line going into it and just plug it up with something (I used a small piece of a branch, I've seen others use small bolts)

I had a very similar problem and it was my EGR valve.

You can also replace your fuel filter if you're not sure when that was replaced. It's located in the fuel inlet nut at the carb. You'll need two wrenches to remove it without twisting up the fuel line. The filters are cheap and easy to replace so if the EGR valve doesn't do it for you give that a try.

ccfreim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

okay, i'll have to look at my factory service manual tomorrow and see where its located and how easy i can get to it! I already replaced the fuel filter because i thought that might have been the problem as well. I think replacing it helped a little, because the previous filter was all squished down and pretty much black, when it was originally a light peach color. haha. I also replaced (most) of my vacuum lines. i got all the ones that looked really bad which wast most of them, but then ran out of line to do the ones that were okay. will be finishing those soon. You should see some of the lines i pulled off of there! i have them in the auto zone bag in the trunk. haha, thanks for the reply, i'll check that out tomorrow. if i plug that vacuum line what is supposed to happen and how will i know if its bad by doing that?

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

The EGR valve is on the driver side valve cover. It should have one vacuum line going into it. My understanding is that if you plug it, you're basically bypassing it. When mine was bad I had the stalling when stopped problem and when I plugged it up my stalling problems went away and the car ran much better.

Another thing it may be is the accelerator pump on the carb but lets hope that's not it because then you'd need to rebuild the carb I believe to replace it.

JimMLINY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham D'Elegance

Those were symptoms when my TCM was bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.