94 thru 96. What to buy? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 94 thru 96. What to buy? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni Nope. I've got FE1 and, as I've said, only about 40,000 miles. Unless the previous ...
    Lord Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Now: 95, 86, & 76 Fleetwood Brougham Past: 83 CDV, 92 Fltwd

Re: 94 thru 96. What to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Nope. I've got FE1 and, as I've said, only about 40,000 miles. Unless the previous owner put some absolute shit shocks in the car, as they were done some time in the past few years.
    I'm leaning toward the "shit shock" theory since I know my 86 should ride softer. I changed the rear shocks in that shortly after I got it. The firmness was there and I thought I'd put in new shocks to fix it. I was disappointed to find it rode the same and still had a firm back, unlike my 95. I can't find OEM shocks and can't find anyone who says they make new ones to the same specs as the old ones. I actually find the opposite, that many mechanics and store clerks seem to say the aftermarket ones are made firmer on purpose because that is the trend these days. I refuse to change out the rear shocks in my 95 because of this. I've tried lowering the air pressure in the shocks through manipulating the air pump suspension link, and it helps, but not enough and I don't want the car too low. Plus, my 95 is not low at all, so there must be more to it than air pressure. It'd be nice if anyone knew shocks that were made to the same specs. A guy told me to try AC Delco, but I haven't had time these days to experiment.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    Well, while it doesn't have quite the performance of the Impala SS, the Fleetwood isn't called an "Impala SS in a Tux" for nothing.. I've been able to embarrass a fair number of other cars on the highway with mine who never saw it coming.

But then I mash the gas on an on-ramp or go to pass a slow vehicle on a country road and everything is good in the world.
    This, I had some idiot in a 2008ish DTS race me on the highway in my old 95. From 75mph up until I hit that limiter at 108, we were dead even. He had about a 40hp and 500lb advantage on me, but we stayed dead even, he had me by about a fender until that limiter kicked in and he flew by me. I will say I was never left wanting for power in that 95, but it wasn't a rocket like an LS1 powered Camaro, Vette, or AMG Benz. Main thing that impressed me was the off-idle torque, and the fact that it would boogie if you floored it at 60mph to pass some slowpoke, it had the top end to really move that car, ie acceleration did not taper off until you hit the limiter.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fleetwood View Post
    I'm leaning toward the "shit shock" theory since I know my 86 should ride softer. I changed the rear shocks in that shortly after I got it. The firmness was there and I thought I'd put in new shocks to fix it. I was disappointed to find it rode the same and still had a firm back, unlike my 95. I can't find OEM shocks and can't find anyone who says they make new ones to the same specs as the old ones. I actually find the opposite, that many mechanics and store clerks seem to say the aftermarket ones are made firmer on purpose because that is the trend these days. I refuse to change out the rear shocks in my 95 because of this. I've tried lowering the air pressure in the shocks through manipulating the air pump suspension link, and it helps, but not enough and I don't want the car too low. Plus, my 95 is not low at all, so there must be more to it than air pressure. It'd be nice if anyone knew shocks that were made to the same specs. A guy told me to try AC Delco, but I haven't had time these days to experiment.
    You can still get ACDelco rear air shocks for the 93-96 Fleetwoods. Mine has them and it is an extremely smooth ride, and it stays level even with a load (to include a boat occasionally).

Lord Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Now: 95, 86, & 76 Fleetwood Brougham Past: 83 CDV, 92 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    You can still get ACDelco rear air shocks for the 93-96 Fleetwoods. Mine has them and it is an extremely smooth ride, and it stays level even with a load (to include a boat occasionally).
    That's good to know. I don't think my 95 needs them yet, but maybe I'll see if AC Delco makes shocks for the 86 and give them a try. I think the ones I have now are Monroe and they just seem too firm. The front is good, but the back is just too stiff. I don't know if the springs have anything to do with it since on my 95 they are also original, but the 86 looked like someone did them not too long before I bought it. I just want the smooth ride it would have had when it was made.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.