Cadillac Owners Forum banner

The 305 vs 350 Chevy in the 91-92 Broughams . . . . .

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TurtleRanger 
#1 ·
So I want people that have owned both to please chime in . . . .

I do not want a Cadillac with that electronically controlled carburated 307 Oldsmobile mess under the hood. All those damn vacume lines are in some sorry state of dry rot by now, and 140hp powering a 4200lb car sounds simply absurd now days.

I owned a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance with the 350 Chevy(ie 5.7 liter), I thought that, hell, might as well get the bigger engine. That was until I drove it and read a bit about the 350, turns out they got the "heavy duty" suspension option with the trailer tow pack. Maybe mine was the exception, since it had the shocks replaced right before I bought it, but the damn thing rode like a truck below 45mph, any pothole was felt, mainly it rattled/reverberated through the whole car more than it was felt. It rode decent at interstate speeds, but there was zero float.

I then owned a 1995 Fleetwood with 51k on it, damn that car was so soft by comparison. It also drove like a barge, I think it was more about the body design, rather than the suspension setup. My 1991 drove like a much smaller car, the 95 reminded you every time you entered a curve it was as wide and long as the USS Enterprise.

So anybody that owned a 91-92 car with the 305, ie 5.0 V8, can you please comment on the ride/handling . . . . . And the power output?? By reading the numbers, it should be a lot quicker than that 307 olds, yet it should ride like a proper Cadillac.

See less See more
#2 ·
What does the Law say you can do in Tenn. Some states require that you have all the emissions that came on the car from the factory. Some states allow you to drop those systems over time. The 305 will perform similar to the 307, but there are some options available to you with the 305..

#3 ·
I drove a friend's approx 90k roadmaster wagon with the 305. I drove it back to back to my 83 lesabre with the 307. The roadmaster was a dog. You wound it up, but it didn't go anywhere, and felt like it had no torque. The lesabre was a bit quicker, and had more bottom end pull. Not saying either one was fast, but in a drag raced, the lesabre would have won hands down.

#4 ·
There was an engine option for the 307. Can't say much about it other than they offered it with a factory installed roller cam. This engine was a bit snottier than the standard 307. If you change out the 307 and replace with the 305, you have to replace the transmission too, adding to your expense. You may have to relocate your frame mounts also, possibly the trans mount cross member. The fuel line will have to be redirected down the passenger side from the driver's side. From a performance view point, your better off with the 350 Olds engine. Less hassle, and will not have all the restrictions of the 307.

#5 ·
Theres hardly any difference in the 305 and the 350. If a car I was considering was real nice eighter one would be just fine. Both have the large transmission.

The olds were ok, smooth and quiet, but lacked power and shifted all the time, they also has the smaller transmission.

The Chevrolet engines are old truck engines, I think GM could have done much better.

#8 ·
I have the 305 in mine. I can get on the highway with no problems. I gets up to speed pretty good for me. The ride is kinda harsh under 40mph though. I must have bought crappy shocks when I "upgraded the suspension". And I think they are in need of replacement. It use to ride really good until after this winter.

#9 ·
My '89 Brougham has the carbureted 305 and its glides and slinks like floating on a cloud both in the suburbs and at cruising speed. It's not obnoxiously noisy or anything, but it has the signature sound of a carbureted V8. I can't speak for everyone but, to me, that sound is part of what gives these big cars their charm :smilewide:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.