German Landyacht-Fan introduces himself - looking for a 75/76 Coupe de Ville - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, German Landyacht-Fan introduces himself - looking for a 75/76 Coupe de Ville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, the red 1975 Coupe de Ville in California was sold (!) (no reserve!) for $4045. Only 2 bidders. The ...
    autoalfred is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: German Landyacht-Fan introduces himself - looking for a 75/76 Coupe de Ville

So, the red 1975 Coupe de Ville in California was sold (!) (no reserve!) for $4045. Only 2 bidders. The sellers were unable to back up their claim "always serviced at Cadillac", so I was out. Another Coupe de Ville with homey upholstery and unprofessional photos also ended around that amount ($3851) - reserve not met. I think both could have sold for more if the sellers were approached the sale process in a more professional way. Here's one more in the category "good impresson at first sight - but bad photos": 1976 Cadillac DeVille
    So I'm still searching...

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: German Landyacht-Fan introduces himself - looking for a 75/76 Coupe de Ville

The sellers were unable to back up their claim "always serviced at Cadillac", so I was out
    Not really sure why that would make you drop out. It doesn't matter where a car is serviced, what matters is condition. In fact, I wouldn't want my Cadillac being serviced at the dealer. The majority of the techs there weren't born when it was built. You're buying a forty year old car. Find one you like, get it inspected by a good tech, and ship it over.
    77CDV, MrHolland and talismandave like this.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

^^ Sage advice. I would have gone for that red CDV in a heartbeat.

Cheers.............R
    talismandave likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

One thing to remember is that many, if not most, Cadillac dealerships won't service a car over a certain age, with the excuse that they can only use new parts and that new parts are no longer available.

aaron.hudacky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado, 1978 Coupe deVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Al,

I live in San Diego and I was watching that red 75 Coupe deVille on Craigslist. It looked very nice overall, but this place has some of the nicest original cars I've ever seen. I'll let you know when I see another nice one via PM. They seem to be for sale in this area quite frequently, although finding a 75/76 specifically could take a little longer.

When I lived in Nevada, I came across what I consider a holy grail 76 Coupe deVille that had around 45k miles, a factory sunroof, fuel injection, and was triple white. It was advertised on Craigslist for an asking price of $3,000, and the owner didn't mention the fact it was fuel injected in the ad and I'm not sure if they mentioned the sunroof. It was in a small town outside Reno called Yerington, and when I went to see it and noticed it was an FI car, I really wanted it. The injectors and seals had been replaced and it ran well. Although it wasn't always serviced at a Cadillac dealer, it had what appeared to be all the maintenance records going back to the original owner. At the time, I was thinking about how much of a pain it could be to deal with emissions and space when I would eventually move back to San Diego, so I reluctantly was responsible and did not buy it. Responsibility is boring and over 2 years later, I bought my 70 Eldorado. However, I thought about the 76 somewhat regularly as one I should have bought. Then, two days ago, I found this link with a white '76 that had sold in Belgium:

http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/1976...Red/index.html

This is the same car I saw in Yerington, Nevada in May 2009. I was able to verify by photos I took of the engine that showed the red battery and 714 stamp on the radiator hose. Also, when I saw the car, it had an oversize exhaust tip which the seller in Belgium cut off. It also had a bug deflector. It is one of few cars I regret not buying because it was exactly as I would have ordered one. Photos are below. At the time I didn't take any interior photos because I thought I was going to buy it. It wasn't perfect and looked like the front end had some bodywork on the left front fender, which appears to have been reworked again in the Belgium photos. but overall, it was an amazing car.

76 white deville 2.jpg76 white deVille1.jpg76 white deville3.jpg76 white deville4.jpg76 white deville7.jpg76 white deville 5.jpg
    77CDV likes this.

If you look at 76CoupeWhiteRed39.JPG on the Belgian site, you can see the metal turned down behind the molding in the top left of the photo. This is the damage that had my attention, but the photo makes it look better than I remember it. Pretty impressive for a car that could've likely been had for $2500.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Welcome Aaron, that's gotta hurt!
    Sweet coupe.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Qualifying the seller by asking them to prove their claim of dealership service is a good idea.

Once you know they are making salesman type claims you start to wonder just how far they will go to sell a car.

That said, I've purchased many great cars from liars : )
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.hudacky View Post
    If you look at 76CoupeWhiteRed39.JPG on the Belgian site, you can see the metal turned down behind the molding in the top left of the photo. This is the damage that had my attention, but the photo makes it look better than I remember it. Pretty impressive for a car that could've likely been had for $2500.
    Good to see you on here, Aaron!

77CDV and Talismandave,

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Not really sure why that would make you drop out. It doesn't matter where a car is serviced, what matters is condition.
    Perhaps I expressed myself in a misleading way. In the ad it said "This car was bought new at Bob Spreen Cadillac in Los Angeles and is still owned by the original buyer. All service has been performed at Bob Spreen Cadillac or McAllister Cadillac. " So I thought to myself: "Great, the car has always been serviced." Of course it doens't have to be serviced at a Cadillac dealer - but I just would not want to buy a car that hasn't had an oil change for 10 years.

And please remember, I am one ocean and 6000 miles way from California. I cannot judge the condition of a car by simply driving there and looking at it.

(BTW: Thanks again to 77CDV for offering to me to drive to the seller of the red CDV and have a look at the car!)

I have to rely on three things:
    • The impression the seller makes
    • as many detailed photos as possible
    • service/maintenance records

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.hudacky View Post
    Al,

I live in San Diego and I was watching that red 75 Coupe deVille on Craigslist. It looked very nice overall, but this place has some of the nicest original cars I've ever seen. I'll let you know when I see another nice one via PM. They seem to be for sale in this area quite frequently, although finding a 75/76 specifically could take a little longer.

When I lived in Nevada, I came across what I consider a holy grail 76 Coupe deVille that had around 45k miles, a factory sunroof, fuel injection, and was triple white. It was advertised on Craigslist for an asking price of $3,000, and the owner didn't mention the fact it was fuel injected in the ad and I'm not sure if they mentioned the sunroof. It was in a small town outside Reno called Yerington, and when I went to see it and noticed it was an FI car, I really wanted it. The injectors and seals had been replaced and it ran well. Although it wasn't always serviced at a Cadillac dealer, it had what appeared to be all the maintenance records going back to the original owner. At the time, I was thinking about how much of a pain it could be to deal with emissions and space when I would eventually move back to San Diego, so I reluctantly was responsible and did not buy it. Responsibility is boring and over 2 years later, I bought my 70 Eldorado. However, I thought about the 76 somewhat regularly as one I should have bought. Then, two days ago, I found this link with a white '76 that had sold in Belgium:

http://www.libertyoldtimers.com/1976...Red/index.html

Wow! That was really a "holy grail car"- as you expressed it. Thanks for posting the pics and the story. Great to read. I would have bought that one in a heartbeat - it even had a sunroof! I love sunroofs!

Perhaps one day here we will find one like that one!

You wrote: "2 days ago" - could it be you meant "2 days later"?

BTW: Here another 1976 CDV on ebay - that just ended - 1 bid $4000 - reserve not met.Probably due to bad pictures and the seller's refusal even to receive questions - let alone answering them.

And this green 1975 CDV has been reposted on ebay for at least the fifth time - nobody even offering more than $6500! Perhaps because the dealer in Florida has a bad reputation or because it has been repainted?

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Alfred, the perfect Coupe deVille will present itself, this is an exciting search you are undertaking - fast and furious!

Today my quest for a Cadillac has suffered a severe setback. A few weeks ago I was told that in the underground parking garage where my 3 Lincolns are stored, there would be 4 more parking spaces available. Today I heard that supposedly nothing is available any more, at least not for long US-Cars....

Edit: JFTR here the pics the owner of the 40k-mile-76 CDV in Palm Coast, FL finally sent me:

and the ebay text: HERE YOU HAVE A LOW MILEAGE CADILLAC OWNED BY ONE FAMILY. IT IS SUPER CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT. TO KEEP IT AS NEW IT HAS A PIONEER STEREO CASSETTE WITH REPLACED SPEAKERS ( ORIGINALS GO WITH THE CAR AND WORK OK LIKE 76 SPEAKERS DID)MOUNTED IN A CUSTOM BOX ON THE DRIVE SHAFT TUNNEL (SEE PICTURE)that can be easily removed for showing. THIS CAR IS 100% STOCK AND RUNS EXCELLENT WITH ICE COLD CLIMATE CONTROL A/C. EVEN HAVE ONE ORIGINAL SET OF KEYS. THE LEATHER IS SOFT AND UNBLEMISHED(with minimal drivers seat wear!!) AND IT STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL FLOOR MATS WITH THE CADDIE EMBLEM!!

LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND SEE HOW NICE IT IS OVERALL.

IT WAS NOT REALLY DRIVEN FAR VERY OFTEN FOR MANY YEARS BUT WAS STARTED AND MOVED AROUND THE BLOCK OFTEN.

THE REAR BUMPER FILLERS WERE REPLACED AND PAINTED IN THE LAST YEAR OR SO.

THE ORIGINAL CARBURATOR HAS BEEN COMPLETELY REBUILT AS WELL.

THIS CAR IS A STEAL AND IF I DO THE WORK TO MAKE HER PERFECT THE PRICE WILL BE MUCH MUCH HIGHER. She was appraised for 9,500. And is insured for that amount as well. A STEAL FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GREAT 38 YEAR OLD CLASSIC CADILLAC THAT YOU COULD DRIVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT IT BREAKING DOWN.

THERE IS SOME MINOR BUBBLING ALONG THE BASE OF THE VINYL ROOF UNDER THE OPERA WINDOWS AND THE TWO FRONT CORNERS OF THE HOOD. ALSO ALONG THE CHROME STRIP ON THE CENTER OF THE HOOD, DO NOT THINK IT IS A PROJECT AS IT IS NOT. JUST A 38 YEAR OLD CAR THAT NEEDS SOME CLEANUP WORK. I WILL BE DOING IT AND MAY EVEN KEEP IT IF I CAN FIND THE TIME TO DO IT. NICE LITTLE AND EASY PROJECT.

NOT MANY IN THIS NICE CONDITION LEFT OUT THERE. SHE DRIVES LIKE A CLOUD AND ALL ACCESSORIES WORK WELL.

$5,500 OBO

I wonder if this is good or bad: "IT WAS NOT REALLY DRIVEN FAR VERY OFTEN FOR MANY YEARS BUT WAS STARTED AND MOVED AROUND THE BLOCK OFTEN."

The Florida car has rust, and the minimal driving will probably mean you'll be replacing seals and rubber parts.

Really? The car was not really interesting for me due to the color, but I didn't notice the rust. Where did you spot it?

I noticed that even for mint Coupes the offers remain low. Like this 76 CDV with less than 20,000 miles - high bid on ebay only $5350.

This how these cars are offered in Germany but non trustworthy dealers:

A red 1975 Coupe de Ville, supposedly 26,632 km for 10,950 Euros; (of course it's 26,632 miles), but if I look at the cracked steering wheel and the driver's seat it looks like 126,632 miles to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.