A/C Belt question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, A/C Belt question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; my A/C does not currently work, but every 2 weeks i have to readjust it due to squealing. will it ...
    fixitman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

A/C Belt question

my A/C does not currently work, but every 2 weeks i have to readjust it due to squealing. will it hurt anything if i run the car (1987 brougham 5.0) without the belt?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: A/C Belt question

The A/C belt drives the water pump, so removing it would cause the engine to overheat.

Lord Fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Now: 95, 86, & 76 Fleetwood Brougham Past: 83 CDV, 92 Fltwd

Since the belt also drives the water pump, as said above, removing it would not be a real option. You could, however, see if there is a belt that is made to specifically bypass the AC. I've heard of belts that are made to do this, but I don't think I've heard of one for a Cadillac. Another option is to take a string or something like that and measure the length that a belt would need to be if it were to be ran to bypass the AC and then see if you can find a belt of that length and style that would be used on another car or device. I think Dayco (and probably others) make a whole bunch of different styles and lengths, so you might be able to find a belt they make that will do the job.

thanks for the info!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Why not fix it, man?

SFCRangerDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

I don't know about your specific year, but my 69 Caddy AC pump froze and was destroying belts. However the belt also drove the power steering pump. I was able to find a belt that was short enough to just drive the ps pump and bypass the AC and everything is hunky dory. Don't see why you couldn't do the same.

im weighing my options, i might even try fixing the A/C. just not sure what i want to do yet. but the smaller belt sounds the best at this point.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

To know if you can use a smaller belt, all you have to do is go look at your engine. If your belt only goes around crank/water pump/AC, you cannot use a smaller belt.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

A smaller belt probably won't work. The alternator is on the same drive belt as the water pump and A/C compressor, so to bypass the compressor, you would need to re-configure the entire belt drive.

If you can't get the A/C system fixed, you may be able to permanently engage the A/C compressor clutch to keep tension on the belts; this will decrease your fuel economy. When my belts (and water pump) were failing, the A/C belt was slipping so bad that the lights were dimming and the engine was overheating. I noticed that as soon as the compressor clutch was engaged (usually for the defrosters, as it was winter), the belts stopped squealing, the lights came back on, and the engine temp came back down. This worked as a good temporary solution until I was able to get the belt replaced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.