Better front brakes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Better front brakes? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I did a quick search on the forum and could not find much about this. I am away ...
    shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

Better front brakes?

Hi guys,
    I did a quick search on the forum and could not find much about this. I am away from and also have a slooooooow Internet connection for a few days.
    Anyways, how can I improve the front brakes on my 1987 Brougham without spending a lot of money.

I put rear discs fro a 90's 9C1 Caprice, emptied the combi valve (which is a bit different than the one on the Impalas).
    I feel like the car doesn't brake enough (I don't think I can lock the wheels) so besides replacing the rear caliper brackets (which might be bent and thus affecting braking ) and hardware, I would also like to maybe swap front caliper with bigger ones.

What bigger calipers fit at the front without modifications? Are the J55 front calipers from a 1995 Fleetwood bolt on? Do they provide more braking force?
    Can I keep my discs or do I need to change discs too?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Better front brakes?

Larger calipers will have ZERO effect on braking. All they do is offer longer pad change intervals. In stock size, all you can do is go to a better pad. PM me, I bought out the stock of Hawk performance pads in the US when Pep Boys changed performance lines. I can spare a set for you.

However, you should have no problem locking up the wheels. You either still have some air in there, or the proportioning isn't correct.

shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

Re: Better front brakes?

Thanks Jay, I will get in touch by end of next week when I get back home for these pads. I already passed about a gallon of fluid through the system. I am changing the rear caliper brackets and hardware. Hopefully that will help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.