Tell me it's too much money for this car. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Tell me it's too much money for this car. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; He oil pick up was replaced due to clogging due to sludge build up. Car was bought originally by an ...
    squashman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham currently. 1981 Sedan Deville diesel

Re: Tell me it's too much money for this car.

He oil pick up was replaced due to clogging due to sludge build up. Car was bought originally by an older woman who owned till her death last year. The second owner who I talked to yesterday said he was driving the car and the oil pressure light started to flicker. He then pulled the car over, called AAA and had it towed to his mechanic. The mechanic changed all the fluids in the transmission and engine pulled the oil pan off and found that the pick up tube was clogged. I still love the color combo.Apparently the woman did very short trips in the car for 30 some years she had it. He states that the air-conditioner blows cool but not cold, the speedometer odometer & cruise control quit earlier this year, installed new tires and had all the fluids serviced. He told me he gave $2500 for the car last year and did the service work done, & still needs new due to holes in the system. He said he did a check on the options and it is a low option base entry-level car. Rubber floor mats& such. I think it's a little to high with all the work that needs to be done , and the uncertainty that comes with a known sludged up engine. I still love the color combo. The owner says it appears to be rust free & original paint but he self admittedly is not a car guy and couldn't be sure. I still love the color combo. Did I already say that??

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Just as I thought! Stay away. That sludge is still there.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman View Post
    ...he did a check on the options and it is a low option base entry-level car. Rubber floor mats& such...
    From what I can see it has cabriolet top, wire wheel covers, 55/45 seat, cruise, likely tilt & telescope, door edge guards, floor mats appear to be carpeted rubber mats (only kind originally available), from the looks of the light switch it may have twilight sentinel and/or auto dimming lights, who can see other options? That is not a "low option base entry-level car" if you ask me.

You can always rebuild the engine if it proves to be problematic, that car and its 425 V8 is worth the investment. If the car is clean they are increasingly hard to find in decent original shape for low $. Seller seems scared of it, make an offer you're comfortable with and enjoy a very cool and increasingly classic last of the greatest Cadillacs!
    talismandave likes this.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

If that car is original paint with no rust anywhere including underneath and never lived in the rust belt it's worth the money.

Find a good running 472 or 500 and put it in there with all new rubber parts. Keep the original engine and make it into a planter.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

IMO this is just a nice old car. Not all that collectable. Find the best one for your money. You will have an issue with the sludge. Sludge is like a stroke waiting to happen.

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The seller wants a cool, old "driver" car that he could jump in and cruise around on weekends. He failed to realize that every single mechanical component is well beyond its service life. Almost all the RWD coupes are in excess of 30 years old now! When you buy something this old, you are buying nothing more than a rolling frame. Be prepared to do everything mechanically (engine, transmission, power steering, air conditioning, brakes, etc.) and if miraculously you don't have a single problem, you'll feel like you won. When you do have a problem though, at least you won't be surprised.

That said, I'm not trying to talk you out of it (you have a better chance of getting a nicotine patch from the Marlboro man than getting talked out of a RWD Cad on here!) If the car is exactly what you want cosmetically and options wise, and has no rust or "innovative" body work, then it is worth it. Remember, you can get everything engine related for this car brand new. The same cannot be said for anything body or interior-related.

You can probably get it for a bit less, as I'm sure the owner will be relieved to have it gone.
    the APEMAN and talismandave like this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I think the price is very fair. Engines can still run a long time with sludge in it. Hey, it's an old lady car; a few oil changes with some synthetic oil and it will run a good long time. If there is no rust, the worst it would ever need is another engine.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I acquired my 79 Sedan deVille in 2005 with 61k miles and it was a little old lady garage sitting car for its whole life. The better part of ten years later and it has 127k miles and it is still going strong despite the fact that is uses some oil and I wouldn't doubt that it has some sludge too. If it blows up or stops working then I will deal with it and if that means rebuilding I am OK with that since I have a farsighted view with this car in my life for as many decades as I may be lucky enough to live. They don't make big comfortable, outrageously fabulous and confident all American cars like this any more.

If the coupe in question had an HT4100 and we were talking sludge then of course avoid it. A 425 is a different story and that's why I am guessing so many are still advising taking the plunge and adopting this lovely appearing car.
    talismandave likes this.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Just BUY IT!

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!

Padded Cab top, Opera lights, split seats, wires, sentenal, could be a Firemist color.

The sludge is easy, every other oil change you put 1 quart of trans fluid in a 425 and run it 200 miles in 2 days then change the oil.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

425s do not usually build up any sludge. I suppose a lot of short trips could do it. Once it is there it isn't going away without a teardown.

Quote Originally Posted by the APEMAN
    425s do not usually build up any sludge. I suppose a lot of short trips could do it. Once it is there it isn't going away without a teardown.
    All of mine had sticky lifters from something, the Trans fluid in the crank case kept it in check.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

If it looks as good in the pictures, dicker with the guy some. Just be prepared that the engine might be good for another 100k, or it could blow up tomorrow. I'd say maybe listen real close for any weird noises, and take it to your mechanic to make sure it has good compression. If it feels/sounds healthy on a test drive, good compresssion, I'd say don't worry about the oil sludge issue.

If it does blow up, swap in a higher compression 500cu motor with double the power. The trans and rear will handle it just fine.
    the APEMAN likes this.

I can only blame you, now I'm negotiating on buying another 79 SDV, it's low mileage, immaculate loaded to the nuts.
    77CDV likes this.

squashman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham currently. 1981 Sedan Deville diesel

I sent him an offer yesterday via a Text. I'm awaiting a response. God willing it will happen. SL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.