new member, new ride
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, new member, new ride in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. I'm purchasing a 1994 Fleetwood from my girlfriend's grandfather. 105K on the clock from the single owner. He ...
    echo5lima is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

new member, new ride

Hi all. I'm purchasing a 1994 Fleetwood from my girlfriend's grandfather. 105K on the clock from the single owner. He is a retired GM service manager... and the car looks and drives perfectly. I took it for a trip across town

Anything I should look for as a new owner?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: new member, new ride

Gas money.

Actually those are pretty efficient, enjoy the new ride and

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Pics...to post on the forum.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

pretty low miles for a 94 and it's a one owner owned by someone who knew how to maintain them...I'd say that's a solid find. These cars are reliable as long as you maintain them properly so you should be good. Not sure where you're from but around here rust is the #1 thing to look out for.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Th.e spark plugs are to be changed at about 100K, has this been done? If not , if it were me, I would change the cap, rotor and wires with the plugs. And because you have to take the waterpump off to do that , it's best to put on a new pump...

Thanks for the input, guys. She looks rust free here in FL, and the paint and viynl top look almost better than New... which leads me to my next concern: my garage is definitely not long enough to house her. I am concerned about the potential for Sun damage and repeated summer rainstorms. I plan a good hand wash and wax as soon as she's in the driveway (tomorrow), but I'm thinking about the interior/dash/vinyl situation. Does anybody have specific product recommendations for preventing Sun damage?

I'll post pictures as soon as possible

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

The only thing I use is "303 Aerospace protectant" www.303products.com

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Mr

Which end of your Fleetwood wiil be sticking out of your garage? That is if your planning on parking it in there anyway.
    My '78 Deville back end sticks out about a foot and a half of my carport.It won`t fit in my garage,so I keep my '95 Deville in there which does fit.
    Since my `78`s back end gets regular sun and rain I just keep the entire car well polished with NU FINISH car polish.That stuff really lasts the longest on the finish of the car of any other product I`ve ever tried.One year i could`nt regularly polish it,and the water still beaded on the finish a year later.
    I keep the leather seats conditioned with MEGUIARS LEATHER CONDITIONER. There are several good products for the dash on the market,just be sure it has UVA & UVB protection.

If you have to keep your Fleet outside in the elements all the time,just be sure to take good care of it.The 303 protectant mentioned by drmenard is really good stuff---it has UVA and UVB protection for the vinyl top and you may be able to use it on the dash too.

Several years ago I had a car I had to keep outside in the elements 24/7 for a decade and I did what I mentioned above,along with keeping at least 1 window partially down during the day in the sunshine and not when raining,just to prevent the excessive heat from building up inside.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to pick up some detailing stuff this weekend and post pictures as well.

Pompste, I don't plan on hanging either end out of the garage; it looks like she will have to stay in the driveway. The garage is attached to the house, and for several reasons, I wouldn't want to leave it open. I really don't like the idea of having to do that, but it's the only option.

Also, getting ready to take her on a 1200 mile (each way) road trip in a couple weeks! I'm thinking a CB radio

Quote Originally Posted by echo5lima View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to pick up some detailing stuff this weekend and post pictures as well.

Pompste, I don't plan on hanging either end out of the garage; it looks like she will have to stay in the driveway. The garage is attached to the house, and for several reasons, I wouldn't want to leave it open. I really don't like the idea of having to do that, but it's the only option.

Also, getting ready to take her on a 1200 mile (each way) road trip in a couple weeks! I'm thinking a CB radio
    You`re welcome and we`ll wait for your pics! It`ll be great to see pics of your Fleet! Those generation Fleetwoods were the last of the "true" big bodied luxury ride Cadillac`s.
    225 inches long and plenty wide!
    When I see one of those Fleets on the road today,they really look so imposing and sooooo long.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Little realized fact.. We're longer and and just 4 inches thinner than a H2 Hummer, just not as tall or obnoxious
    As for imposing and long.. yeah -I have two in my driveway - it's supposed to fit about 5-6 cars in a row. With the two FW's in there, we can only fit 4 total. I love it. Wife does not..

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    Little realized fact.. We're longer and and just 4 inches thinner than a H2 Hummer, just not as tall or obnoxious
    As for imposing and long.. yeah -I have two in my driveway - it's supposed to fit about 5-6 cars in a row. With the two FW's in there, we can only fit 4 total. I love it. Wife does not..
    That`s interesting info! I hope to own one of those generation Fleets someday.
    My '78 Deville is about 222 inches long and I had a hell of a time backing out of todays smaller parking spaces in malls etc,so now I just park it out further in parking lots,where there is more open space.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

It's a proper Cadillac and looks like a car that tells you it's a Cadillac as well
    225 inches with turning radius is 13.4 meters ,in other words just same as Mercedes G-Wagon lol . Sounds imposing but I can tell you considering it's length it can be parked easily for a car of this big

So... here she is in all her glory. I picked her up a few days ago, and come to find out, she's a '93, not a '94 as I had previously thought. So, no LT-1 or electronically controlled transmission That being said, I couldn't be happier. I spent the better part of yesterday on a hand wash and wax, along with interior detailing. Paint is original and BEAUTIFUL. Just a couple of small road-dings in the front. There are a couple of small tears in the driver's side seat.

Today, I took her to my long-time mechanic. He and his lead technician both said that this was by far the best 20 year old car that they had ever seen. It needed absolutely nothing except for a clean & adjust for the rear brakes. The whole shop was sitting around staring at it when I picked her up. Although I was slightly disheartened to find that she has the "lesser" L05 engine, my guy reminded me that it is cheaper and easier to fix... which is probably more important to me overall.

Everything works. Level ride, power seats, cruise, interior lights, windows, locks... everything but the trunk pull-down. I've got the part, just need to install it. I'm almost scared to use the toys for fear that they'll wear out!

The only gripe that I have is that it will not fit in my garage. I feel absolutely heartbroken that I will have to leave her in the Florida sun. So far, I've treated the vinyl top and entire interior with 303 aerospace, and a Meguiar's hand wax for the paint. I do put up the sun screen in the front windshield whenever she's parked. Is there anything else I can do to protect my new girlfriend? I was thinking about window tint, car cover (even though it's a PITA, and probably wouldn't use it at work)... What do you guys think?

All in all, I am over the moon with my new ride. Sorry for the crappy pictures, they're from my cell and the lighting is, well... it's summer in Florida. Cheers.

CAM00576.e.jpg

CAM00577.e.jpg

CAM00578.e.jpg
    LoveMyLac likes this.

Gorgeous color and classy looking Fleetwood! She`d look even classier with whitewalls,but that`s always a personal decision.
    Your mechanics are right--LO5 engine you have is much easier to maintain and cheaper to fix.
    A car cover is a good idea and will block out the harmful sun rays,even though it would be a hassle to put it on and take it off everyday.
    Window tint would make her look more hideous,but if that`s what you want,go for it.You know your Fleets windows have a milder factory tint already.
    Some cars look good with aftermarket window tint,some don`t.
    My '95 Deville has a similar body style to your '93 Fleet,and I would never get aftermarket window tint on her.That said,it sits in my garage out of the suns rays most of the time too.
    I always loved those stainless chrome rocker panels on those generation Fleets,so much so I installed a set of stainless chrome rockers on my '95 Deville several years ago.

Your Fleet is a real beauty! Take good care of her! Others will chime in too.
    Gman1023 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.