Fuel injection system back in 84
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Fuel injection system back in 84 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was wondering how difficult is the F.I. system Cadillac had in the Fleetwood Brougham back in 84. Do I ...
    Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Fuel injection system back in 84

I was wondering how difficult is the F.I. system Cadillac had in the Fleetwood Brougham back in 84. Do I need to rip it all out before I swap in a new motor? I think I'll go Carb since it may be easier to swap in. Nothing wrong with the 4.1 in it right now but I will swap it out when the time comes. So far I am thinking 350 but now I may lean toward the big Cad motors. It all depends on how reliable the Big Cad are. Not like I can walk into Pep Boys out in the middle of nowhere and ask for a valve spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.. If you're going to get a big performance engine in there anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go carb... Did the 368's have fuel injection? Yes. Right? How about getting one of those?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I'm all about the big Cad motors. From what I have heard, these motors are as reliable as a Chevy sb (if not more reliable).
    400hp is no problem with these motors, not to mention the torque. That kind of power from a Chevy sb will cost you alot more money........and besides, it's not a Cadillac motor.

Well what I was planning to do was make my Caddy the way Cadillac would have made it back in 92 but without the fuel injection. Now I think I'll make it up as I go. For sure I'm going to put the newer 92 front end on it. I just love them single headlights.

Librarian is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Big Cad F.I.

My '81Eldo 368 8/6/4 is F.I. and I've had no trouble with it so far. If you go carb that will probably save you some problems except that if your cad has inst/avg mileage etc. that will not work in a carbureted car. I think all that stuff is calculated off the fuel metering on F.I. Anyone who knows more about that might know how to make it work, but I don't. As for reliability, I think any of the old big block Cad motors have a well deserved reputation for reliability and power. 472's and 500's were the best of these. They are not high revving motors, but then when you have 400 lbs. of torque (stock motor) just off the idle, who cares. On the street from stoplight to stopllight torque rules the day. If that's the kind of power you want, then remember: There is no (inexpensive) substitute for cubic inches.

I may just go with the Big Cads. I like the idea of having Caddy Power for a Caddy But it may be difficult to find a 472 or 500 down here. Then again I haven't tried looking yet.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Ahhh.....The venerable 4.1, 130 H.P. and about 3 ft lbs of torque. I know it well ( Had one in my '85 Eldo) Cadillacs answer to the Edsel Is how I felt every time it had a problem, That was often!

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls
    Since a lot of functions are computer controlled with the DFI (spark advance, etc.), won't disconnecting all the related DFI sensors cause a lot of malfunctions?

Max

I don't think it would. As advance as this system was back then, I don't think it would matter if I swap out the engine for a 500cid. now if I was swapping in a North* then I would need the computer to help make it run right. Of course I could be wrong.
    Me wrong? Neva!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.