Brougham Radiator.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The-Dullahan
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Brougham Radiator. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Having ran with my Champion radiator as long as I have (Okay, not all that long...also, it sprung a leak ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Brougham Radiator.

Having ran with my Champion radiator as long as I have (Okay, not all that long...also, it sprung a leak within under a year of service) I feel I need to replace it. what is the best radiator, based on quality of manufacture and service ability (the more rows/cooling capacity, the better) that will actually fit into these cars (In my case, a 1987 Brougham, but this would be the same for all years of this RWD body platform, Brougham, DeVille, Sedan or Coupe)

----------

And apparently, my freeze plug beneath cylinder five has sprung a leak as well.

Great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Brougham Radiator.

A coolant leak (freeze plug for instance) can cause coolant to cavitate ( GOOGLE IT) in the radiator, which in turn weakens the soldered seams. I would locate a Chevy Caprice Cop car or Taxi spec. radiator or......get another Champion for free, fix the freeze plug and drive it.

The Radiator's malfunction preceded the Freeze Plug crisis by around eight months. I do not believe the two were related, so I am unsure if I should trust the company a second time. Call it superstition.

I have considered the free replacement option from Champion, BUT that also means I cannot drive this car until (IF) they decide to honour their warranty and ship the radiator back to me (I think Champion is ran from the opposite side of the nation), which isn't any fun.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I only buy Modine radiators... think the last one from 800radiator. It was damaged in shipment but they replaced without hassle. I would download the Modine catalog and have a look see what has correct sizing and outlets. If you have room for additional row but mounts won't fit it, modify or make new mounts.

I've heard similarly about the Modine Radiators.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Pretty much any radiator that's supposed to be right for the car should fit. The one that's in my Brougham I hate, the valve to drain it is right at the frame and is a pain in the ass to get to.

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

I think autozone has lifetime replacement on radiators. I had to replace a 9 month radiator that I got one the cheap, so I just got the autozone lifetime, because I needed my truck and didn't have time to go through the ordering process.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    Pretty much any radiator that's supposed to be right for the car should fit. The one that's in my Brougham I hate, the valve to drain it is right at the frame and is a pain in the ass to get to.
    As is the case with a lot of aftermarket radiators. Even worse when they are *shiver* plastic.

So, because my car (And even I, sometimes) resides in Central FL and we have a limitless supply of P71's and 9C1's I grabbed an otherwise immaculate radiator out of one of said 9C1 Caprice interceptors, so I can send my Champion radiator in for warranty replacement and the car is at least functional while this is done. Likewise, I have a functional spare radiator.

But, since it is like...3:24 AM, I cannot access the store for the proper adapters (Though I have them at work, but don;t feel like driving out there for that, right now) so I am awaiting for the stores to open.

Funny (and entirely unrelated) thing about scrapyards and wee-hour-of-the-morning business. Yesterday, a fellow dropping some cars off at the scrapyard mentioned a car he acquired at his tow company that he felt I may be interested in. This was around 10:00 AM. By the time I made it to said tow yard, it was 3:00 AM, so they were closed, but I saw the car. Couldn't call about it today, so I suppose I have to visit tomorrow. But, if he is asking any sort of reasonable price and it is as nice as it looks from seven feet away, through a chain link fence, I may own yet another car soon as well.

You know...so I can go through this with the radiator in that one, too.
    talismandave likes this.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Where is (was) the leak?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.