76 Cadillac front bumper impact strip. Passenger side
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 76 Cadillac front bumper impact strip. Passenger side in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I am attempting to replace the passenger front bumper grey impact strip on my 76 Coupe De Ville. There ...
    Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

76 Cadillac front bumper impact strip. Passenger side

Hi
    I am attempting to replace the passenger front bumper grey impact strip on my 76 Coupe De Ville.
    There are seven bolts with nuts that attach it to the chrome bumper. The innermost nut toward the center (grill) is totally inaccessible from the undercarriage of the car. Service Manual says to "removal of center most attaching nut must be chiseled off. When replacing impact strip, a repair retainer is available." (GM part no. 1603750)

I have ordered an OEM (used) impact piece from a place in excellent condition in Arizona that arrived without any of it being 'chiseled off.' Apparently they removed the bumper to get their piece off. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience is getting the old impact strip off and having to replace it....it seems 'it should be easier that the manual makes it look!' Plus, where in the world would one find this "retainer." I don't want to remove my original piece and not be able to attach the replacement!

The black and white picture shows the part from the Illustration Catalog (#14)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Re: 76 Cadillac front bumper impact strip. Passenger side

That's kind of odd... if you can't reach it with a wrench, how can you reach it with a chisel??

I bet there is some sort of funky wrench that would get to it now that didn't exist back then. Some of those tool manufacturers are pretty creative.

Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

Re: 76 Cadillac front bumper impact strip. Passenger side

Nope. The 6 of the seven nuts are easily accessible under the bumper. You can clearly see them with the studs that protrude through the chrome bumper. That SEVENTH, most inner, has NO ACCESS hole. I've been under that car a hundred times thinking I missed it somewhere. The service manual clearly states, "the innermost stud must be chiseled out. A replacement retainer is available for impact strip replacement." I have attached a picture in case someone SOMEWHERE has done this. Hopefully, it will ring a bell and I can get some input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.