1990 Fleetwood Brougham RWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The-Dullahan
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1990 Fleetwood Brougham RWD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 90 brougham. And I'm gonna change the headlights to hid lights. I h Looked at it ...
    mparker1nt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1990 Fleetwood Brougham RWD

I just bought a 90 brougham. And I'm gonna change the headlights to hid lights. I h
    Looked at it right quick. But how do I replace the headlight?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Installing HIDs in reflector type housings is illegal, will cause a lot of glare for other drivers, and will put less usable light on the road.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    ^This.

To properly install HID headlamps, you will require new, DOT-approved housings and need to change the entire unit out. If you can't figure out how to do something as simple as swap a headlamp bulb on it's own, you may not wish to think about trying to modify the car any further, such as changing the housing. This will be more complicated.

You'll also have to either find a new assembly with legal housings (never looked for any, so I have no clue if an aftermarket company make them) or engineer some yourself.

I have no problem with HID headlamps when they are functioning properly (not those dumbass blue or violet ones, which are the result of improperly installed/dysfunctional ballasts) and installed correctly (with projectors, proper lenses and without reflector housings) and even have them on my 1987 Brougham. When done tastefully, they will bot blind or interfere with other drivers and only you should ever even notice the difference. Of course, since the HID community are mostly "Pimp My Ride" idiots seeking attention, they probably favour the blue lights with the stock reflector housing blinding everyone, because they're so desperate for attention, even at the cost of their own safety and that of everyone on the road.
    carnut likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 1990 Fleetwood Brougham RWD

And WHY??? list the car in your post title instead of having it in your signature? Posts make sense and get looked at when they start off with a title such as " How do I upgrade my headlights?" That way later someone, maybe you, will have better luck doing a search.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan
    not those dumbass blue or violet ones, which are the result of improperly installed/dysfunctional ballasts)
    Those ardent malfunctioning, they're just higher color temperature bulbs. Blue starts around 6,000K, and get bluer, then pinker/purpler from there.

Failing bulbs can also turn pink or purple and dim.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: 1990 Fleetwood Brougham RWD

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Those ardent malfunctioning, they're just higher color temperature bulbs. Blue starts around 6,000K, and get bluer, then pinker/purpler from there.

Failing bulbs can also turn pink or purple and dim.
    I know they can turn pink/violet/blue. In fact, since my high beams no longer have the deep violet glass in the front that they used to (Making the high beam bulbs shine in violet, as per funerary use), I have used a set bulb/ballast (not really intended for automotive use) that imitates the colour that the lenses used to be. However, in reference the use of blue/violet/pink lighting outside of task-specific pro-car use, I said "The result of" failing ballasts. That is where this idiotic trend started. Same reason overhead lighting we use in the warehouse changes colour before ballast failure. Today, the appearance of being ghetto has become a trend. People purchase lights/ballasts designed to shine in these colours.

To me, whether it was intentional or not, it will always look stupid and I will always credit where it began (product failure) over the owner's intent to make them appear that way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.