Brake light and blinker trouble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Brake light and blinker trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My driver side brake lights do not light when I depress the brake pedal. The passenger side works. Also, left ...
    Randy35630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Brougham, 2013 Honda Civic LX

Brake light and blinker trouble

My driver side brake lights do not light when I depress the brake pedal. The passenger side works. Also, left turn signal doesn't work. When left blinker is engaged, the front cornering light and blinked come on and burn steady, but no light in back. The problem has been intermittently occurring with longer periods of not working correctly. Any suggestions? I thought it was a bulb, but the only one I haven't checked is the upper center brake light in the
    rear window.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Brake light and blinker trouble

It sounds like it lost the ground on that side. If you took that housing apart and cleaned it up it should work. You can test it with a piece of wire and a couple alligator clips. Sometime I just run a separate ground wire to the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    It sounds like it lost the ground on that side. If you took that housing apart and cleaned it up it should work. You can test it with a piece of wire and a couple alligator clips. Sometime I just run a separate ground wire to the housing.
    Thank you sir. The lights come on when you turn on the headlight switch, but they don't get bright like the other side when you press the brake. It's a 1987 Brougham, by the way, just turned 46,000 miles yesterday. Beautiful car, but Sat unproven for over ten years. I'm surprised at how well it managed to hold up. Garaged, and so far the main problems have been disintegrated exhaust system that I've already replaced, and same problem with the heater core. The A.C. works but isn't cold. I'll have the whole system rebuilt in the fall. But this blinker problem can't wait.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Does it work when you activate your hazard lights?

You say you checked the bulb. How? Visual inspection, or test with power?
    There are 2 filaments in the brake light bulb. One for running lights (which works) and and additional one that lights up for the brakes or turn signal. You could have the second filament blown.

If the bulb is okay, I would continue to investigate a possible wiring issue as cadillac_al suggested.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    Ok, I had a similar problem with my 85.

If you can rule out bad bulbs, wiring is at the taillight is good, then you have a different problem.

The problem on my 85 was the wiring running down the steering column was bad, dealer charged me 1/2 hour of labor & knock on wood it has been fine since.

Try this, while holding the brake peddle, tilt the wheel up & down while looking at the indicator lights to see if the light works, or you can have someone look on the outside.

Good luck

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I'd check the fluid!!!

I'm sorry sir, I couldn't resist. I wish I had some real advice for you, no worries though you're in the right place and someone here will know what the problem is!! Good luck.

I did not know the bulbs were dual filament. I went and bought new bulbs first thing but didn't change them. The running lights always work. The brake light is intermittent on the back driver side, and when you engage the blinker the front turn signal and cornering light comes on steady and doesn't blink when the malfunction is occurring. Otherwise if the brake light works the blinker works. I drove the car for an hour today and it worked correctly for thirty minutes. I suspect a short, but I will change the bulbs and hope that's it. Thanks for the info everyone.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Sometimes just taking the bulb out and cleaning the socket is all it needs. I was assuming that was done before I recommended chasing the ground wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Sometimes just taking the bulb out and cleaning the socket is all it needs. I was assuming that was done before I recommended chasing the ground wiring.
    I took the tail light apart today and changed both bulbs. Sockets were very clean with no sign of dirt or corrosion. So far, everything is working hunky-doory, so at any rate, whether a bulb was shot (one looked a bit like some filament was broken) or things needed scraping, it has worked perfectly after I reassembled the tail light. Thanks for all the suggestions. They all helped my thought process.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.