84deville rear coil spring and shock replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84deville rear coil spring and shock replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all , long time lurker first time poster. So, I have my grandfather's 84 coupe deville. The air ride ...
    84decille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Sedan de Ville

84deville rear coil spring and shock replacement

Hi all , long time lurker first time poster.

So, I have my grandfather's 84 coupe deville. The air ride system is shot and the rear is beginning to sag. I want to convert to a ordinary shocks and coil springs back there. Now, I know there are conversion kits online, but they all seem to start at 85! Of course, the auto parts stores have shocks (gas) and coil springs. Could I simply swap those in and forget the air ride? Seems to be lots of discussions but not for this particular vintage of Cadillac. Well thanks all, for your time. All ideas are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: 84deville rear coil spring and shock replacement

Two of the '81's I've owned got the air ride swapped out for plain old shocks, no conversion kit or anything like that, although both were used with Eibach lowering springs, I can't see there being any difference with stock height coils.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Two options...replace the shocks only with air shocks that you would run the air line and fill valve behind the license plate and fill it yourself to your liking...or replace shocks and springs for non-air model shocks/springs. I personally would rather run air shocks with the fill valve behind the license plate.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The 78 Sedans and Coupes came stock without auto leveling. It was an option. Get those springs. Any "C " body GM car of that era, Buick, Olds Pontiac most likely wont have level ride. The level ride coil springs were softer and if not used with air leveling shocks, would have a lower ride height. On my 84 Sedan, I also got the fat rear sway bar from a Buick station wagon or Chevy Caprice cop car. Makes a big difference when turning a corner at speed. I also used the stiffer urethane orange front sway bar bushings.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

The sway bars are nice to have. Never tried extreme road racing but I liked the fat Monte Carlo rear sway bars better than thin Fleetwood ones.

I've tried all kinds of stuff on this body and the best ride quality comes from coil springs that don't have quite enough to hold the car to proper ride height. The ride height is established with air shocks which might only need 30 or so lbs. Manual fill as suggested keeps it simple.

Air makes for a really nice mannered vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.