MPG computer for Brougham
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, MPG computer for Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've grown to enjoy the computer in my 1990 fleetwood and was wondering if a 1990-1992 Brougham (or any other ...
  1. #1
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    MPG computer for Brougham

    I've grown to enjoy the computer in my 1990 fleetwood and was wondering if a 1990-1992 Brougham (or any other year for that matter) can be outfitted with such a device. I probably wouldn't go through the trouble, but curious if it's possible.

    That said, how do you calculate your fuel economy as accurately as possible? Is filling the tank to absolute full the only way to know exactly how much fuel has been used?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    DopeStar 156's Avatar
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    North Jersey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Unfortunately not on the 307 Broughams or the 368 ones either. No FI, no fuel data center.

  4. #3
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    Unfortunately not on the 307 Broughams or the 368 ones either. No FI, no fuel data center.
    So none of the Brick Broughams as I call them, can? Sux. Guess I'll have to use my calculator.

  5. #4
    90Brougham350's Avatar
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    I've been told that the reason GM didn't give the Brougham and last generation DeVilles was that they were typically sold to an older generation, which had no desire to be pressing buttons and switches on an info center while driving down the road. The 80-89 Towncars had them and they worked great, only problem was, don't try too much while rolling down the highway!

    Brian

  6. #5
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    I've been told that the reason GM didn't give the Brougham and last generation DeVilles was that they were typically sold to an older generation, which had no desire to be pressing buttons and switches on an info center while driving down the road. The 80-89 Towncars had them and they worked great, only problem was, don't try too much while rolling down the highway!

    Brian
    Do you think there's a computer in there checking (Since the 1990 Fleetwood I have has it) on a later Brougham (89-92 I believe had pleanty of computers in them) and just needs to be tapped into? Too bad it wasn't an option. Damn older generation!!! And damn GM for making such an excuse. I think it was all in their heads. My dad loved the fuel center in his fleetwood.

  7. #6
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,459

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Some of the 80s ones have it. BUt I don't think there's anything you can change to get it tho if it doesn't have it.

  8. #7
    90Brougham350's Avatar
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    To be honest, I don't mind that our Broughams are without fuel readouts or things like that that the Towncars had. The Towncars were slow as all hell, and the design leaves a lot to be desired, but at least they were somewhat modern. However, I've never used the fuel readout features on vehicles that actually have them or really cared, but I still believe this is a perfect case of GM corporate thinking; cut corners here, here, and here, and save a few pennies, so there is less warranty work in the future and a bigger salary and bonus for executives. Yeah, it would be nice to see what kind of mileage I'm getting, but then again, our RWD Broughams and DeVilles are more beautiful than just about anything else out there, so I'm not complaining.

    Brian

  9. #8
    The Ape Man's Avatar
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,096

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    The '81 Cadillac DEFI system included a fuel usage computer. They were also optional on '78 Sevilles. Maybe even earlier.

  10. #9
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    To be honest, I don't mind that our Broughams are without fuel readouts or things like that that the Towncars had. The Towncars were slow as all hell, and the design leaves a lot to be desired, but at least they were somewhat modern. However, I've never used the fuel readout features on vehicles that actually have them or really cared, but I still believe this is a perfect case of GM corporate thinking; cut corners here, here, and here, and save a few pennies, so there is less warranty work in the future and a bigger salary and bonus for executives. Yeah, it would be nice to see what kind of mileage I'm getting, but then again, our RWD Broughams and DeVilles are more beautiful than just about anything else out there, so I'm not complaining.

    Brian
    Totally agree about the RWD Broughams being the most beautiful cars on the road. I can do without it, but I like seeing how well I can do in MPG on long trips. It's a fun enough game when everyone is snoozing on long trips. It's also nice in measuring fuel consumed when sharing the gas with others. Saves me from having to fill up at the beginning and end. Just a reset button and I'm good to go.

  11. #10
    DopeStar 156's Avatar
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    North Jersey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    Unfortunately not on the 307 Broughams or the 368 ones either. No FI, no fuel data center.
    I'm actually looking into this now, I may be eating those words.... I've been RUMORED that it IS possible....

  12. #11
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    I'm actually looking into this now, I may be eating those words.... I've been RUMORED that it IS possible....
    If I can help you find out in any way possible, let me know!!! That would be SO exciting! Where did you hear the rumour?

  13. #12
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,863

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Hi,

    The full-size rear-drive deVille and Fleetwood had the fuel data center starting in 1981 on the 368 V8-6-4. All HT4100 cars had it from 1982-1985.

    Ape is right, the Seville had the fuel data with the optional digital dash starting in 1978, same for Eldorado with optional digital dash in 1979. In 1980, the 368 had fuel data center standard on Seville and Eldorado.

    On my 1981 car, the fuel data center shows the number of active cylinders, instant and average fuel economy, and fuel range.

    Dave

  14. #13
    caddieboy's Avatar
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    642

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham
    Hi,
    The full-size rear-drive deVille and Fleetwood had the fuel data center starting in 1981 on the 368 V8-6-4. All HT4100 cars had it from 1982-1985.
    Ape is right, the Seville had the fuel data with the optional digital dash starting in 1978, same for Eldorado with optional digital dash in 1979. In 1980, the 368 had fuel data center standard on Seville and Eldorado.
    On my 1981 car, the fuel data center shows the number of active cylinders, instant and average fuel economy, and fuel range.
    Dave
    Given that it's been around for so long, could it be that this type of info is being calculated in the Brougham but since there's no insturment panel it's not being displayed anywhere? Why, oh why did they leave it out? Probably something silly like they didn't know where to put it or the designer was on vacation. =oD

  15. #14
    DopeStar 156's Avatar
    DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    North Jersey
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,230

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    Well see, here the thing.... The Brougham had it. That I think is all you need to start on this. The components for it to work must still be there, they're probably just inactive. Ever hook up a code puller to your car? My shop has a rediculously expensive one that I've seen pull tons of information from the ECM on my car. All this stupid thing does is tell you the instant fuel economy and the gas you've used. That shouldn't be all that hard to pull off. DaveSmed and myself are researching into this at this very moment. The reason I'm so into this now is because I grabbed this at a junkyard the other day.



    This I got from an HT4100 Coupe de Ville. We all know where it goes in the Brougham and that little plastic square comes out rather easily. I've got a good hunch it can be hooked up through the OBD system....

  16. #15
    90Brougham350's Avatar
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    River Falls, WI
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: MPG computer for Brougham

    What little square is that?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting