MPG computer for Brougham - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, MPG computer for Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You, my good man, rock! Best of luck on this! I'll cream myself with excitement if it works!!! Originally Posted ...
    caddieboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7

Re: MPG computer for Brougham

You, my good man, rock! Best of luck on this! I'll cream myself with excitement if it works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DopeStar 156
    Well see, here the thing.... The Brougham had it. That I think is all you need to start on this. The components for it to work must still be there, they're probably just inactive. Ever hook up a code puller to your car? My shop has a rediculously expensive one that I've seen pull tons of information from the ECM on my car. All this stupid thing does is tell you the instant fuel economy and the gas you've used. That shouldn't be all that hard to pull off. DaveSmed and myself are researching into this at this very moment. The reason I'm so into this now is because I grabbed this at a junkyard the other day.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

It's a neat little thing, I'll never own a car with out one, but its not very accurate at all.

On my '92 deVille, the FDC will say my average MPG after a week is about 18.3, in reality when I check my mileage, its about 3-4 mpg less. But it's very cool to be able to see your estimated range and instant MPG. And one of the reasons I sold my Buick was because the lack of guages and information, I really wanted full guages and an FDC (like an 1991-96 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite with the digital dash) I got the FDC and I really like it

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    It's a neat little thing, I'll never own a car with out one, but its not very accurate at all.
    At least it's relative. Also, when my driving habits change for whatever reason, I notice a big difference. Even the same car driven by two different people makes a difference. My dad could tell when I drove his car because the avg fuel would be higher for me. And the stereo would be cranked and send him through the roof. =D

Luckily I learned to go easy on the gas and brakes and enjoy much better fuel economy. I like the guage as a reminder when I drive a bit 'harder'.

Yeah its a better setup than M-B's fuel economy guage which is just a little guage that says MPG then it spans from 10 to 30. For instant MPG only I assume.

The lack of a FDC is my biggest problem with the 90-92 Broughams. If it had that, I would have probably bought that instead of my deVille. If there is a way to install a FDC into one, then that may make me purchase a Brougham later on!

Yeah its a better setup than M-B's fuel economy guage which is just a little guage that says MPG then it spans from 10 to 30. For instant MPG only I assume.

The lack of a FDC is my biggest problem with the 90-92 Broughams. If it had that, I would have probably bought that instead of my deVille. If there is a way to install a FDC into one, then that may make me purchase a Brougham later on!
    Let's cross our collective fingers. I wish I knew an old GM computer engineer who would know if it's possible or not. I hate when companies dumb down equipment. They did that with the GPS unit I just bought apparently to appeal to new potential users and not scare them away with advanced features. *sigh* And reall, how complicated is a Fuel D???? Computer?

Oh my fingers are crossed!

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    What little square is that?
    Ahhh you have the 1990! Different interior.... My 89 has a little decorative square where it used to be. Bottom right corner, next to my climate control readout.

Ahhh you have the 1990! Different interior.... My 89 has a little decorative square where it used to be. Bottom right corner, next to my climate control readout.
    I'm not sure that's where they would have put such a thing, but something was left out of there, I'm guessing. Hmm... maybe it was where they would put something like that but decided the location sucked and abandoned it? Let's hope that's what happened!!!

If it works, I wonder where I'll put it. Maybe in the ashtray I never use!!! =o)

Quote Originally Posted by caddieboy
    I'm not sure that's where they would have put such a thing, but something was left out of there, I'm guessing. Hmm... maybe it was where they would put something like that but decided the location sucked and abandoned it? Let's hope that's what happened!!!

If it works, I wonder where I'll put it. Maybe in the ashtray I never use!!! =o)
    No, that's definately where it goes. I've seen it. It's a pretty nice sided box, dunno if it would fit in the ashtray.....

No, that's definately where it goes. I've seen it. It's a pretty nice sided box, dunno if it would fit in the ashtray.....
    Well, dunno if I'll actually put it in the ashtray, but I'll have to MacGuyver it somewhere since the 92 I'm thinking of getting is different I believe. Not sure what kind of places I could put it.

Maybe I could put it in the Cruise Control on/off switch. I have never, in my life, ever turned it off, so it can just hang out in the nehind the dash in the on position and put the fuel thingy there. I'm sure it would fit there. Looks about the same size which was probably a standard of sorts.

Yeah that little black square is where the FDC was in the 81-85 RWD w/ HT4100

Yeah that little black square is where the FDC was in the 81-85 RWD w/ HT4100
    What's wrong with Cadillac!?!? I mean really! Don't take awesome stuff OUT!!!

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Anybody have a FSM for one of the appropriate Fuel Data equipped cars and a scanner? I could really use a pinout/diagram for this thing. Initial thought is the carbureted cars might be a problem, but we'll see.

Sorry, I have an FSM for my 89.

The Cruise Control switch is wider and shorter than the Fuel Data Center. Plus the mounting holes are on opposite ends. Sorry to be a disappointment haha.

Sorry, I have an FSM for my 89.

The Cruise Control switch is wider and shorter than the Fuel Data Center. Plus the mounting holes are on opposite ends. Sorry to be a disappointment haha.
    OK fine! I'll rig it so that goes through a voice simulator with a sexy female voice hooked to the speakers and she'll tell me the MPG after my voice command. HA!!! Point, game, match!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.