project 81Brownie lives!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, project 81Brownie lives! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    81Brownie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Fleetwood Brougham D Elegance

project 81Brownie lives!

Hello to all. my name is Noé. the Cadillacs name is The Brownie. a while back i posted about my car and ideas/plans. well, to make this short, I'm basically restoring this 81 Fleetwood brougham d elegance. Ive bought bearings, bushings, steering box, shocks , pads etc for front suspension. ill move on to tie rods and related items once i bust out with more funds. the air ride system is going to be manually operated and that will work with air shocks...i can picture it. anyway, yesterday i found a complete 500 out of a Fleetwood and now it too will live in a new frame. I'm keeping this Cadillac all Cadillac by all means possible !!! Ill see if i can add pictures here since I'm using my ancient phone. please check in to see my work, read my questions and add your advice !!
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: project 81Brownie lives!

Greetings and welcome. Sounds like a good project, can't wait to follow and get to Know you!

A little about the car.....
    I stalked this Cadillac for at least 3 years. It was just sitting there with its sad fillers crumbling down. $350 brought it home, had to be towed. a large gauge charge wire from alt to battery was replaced and a new starter bolted on and the engine lived for about 25k miles. Tck developed on lower engine and it was parked for 2 years. Its been quite difficult to find anything in junkyards or the CL ads. anyway , i upgraded to an all black almost perfect leather pillow interior . I can't seem to get pictures off my phone on here. car was not taken care of in its life. all steering and suspension is really worn out. its now unsafe to drive.
    the 500 is going to get its first clean-up of its life today. ill be leaving basically a long block and adding intake, oil pan and valve cover gaskets, new water pump, and a really nice paint job..
    Ill write up a list of what the lac needs, and ill work it out old-school by crossing out accomplishments . in the end of this trip, ill have a brown (ill get vin and paint codes/options list in a bit) 1981 Fleetwood, black vinyl top, and a 500 ci under the hood. after that, drive it forever.
    Here we go!

Awesome!
    Most people use a Photobucket acct to post to the site. It avoids the re-sizing and the photo galley limits of the forum. I use a desktop app from Postimage. It not only easily gives me links to my photo file in my computer, but easily does screen grabs from any site.

The brown black sounds like it will be a beautiful and classy look for a big old Cadillac!

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Or use tinypic.com- it's free.

Cool Re: project 81Brownie lives!

Pictures attempt-1

attempt-2
    Attached Images
    Seville fan likes this.

Cool Re: project 81Brownie lives!

ooops! my old blazer popped in. Its a 93 2wd, awaiting a SBC swap...

here are a few more pictures. say hello to the leather. I did the wiring chop, and spent about 3 hours cleaning the frame.
    Seville fan likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Nice, engine bay looks really good. Did it come with factory black interior?

Really looks great. The color is about the shade of brown I imagined. That is going to make a gorgeous combo with black interior and roof!

Nice solid car you got to start with too. All put together with a 500, that is going to be one sweet ride.

The interior has a story of its own. i also scored those mint hubcaps for $50. anyway, my wife and i went on a trip to the pullnsave. out of nowhere and in between dodges, a perfect 85 silver FWBD was there. like magic. it was rolled and was maybe a day old at the yard. we took the entire interior, everything minus headliner and plastic piece that goes under the column . now, picture that interioir stuffed inside a 93 sedan deville! Just like that. what was cool is that my wife found the GOLD KEYS. we actually went back a month later and found a spare key on the trunk lid, so i brought both home along with all lock cylinders. i did forget the passenger power mirror, dimming rearrview mirror, and the front bumper. car was just perfect but rolled over. it had maybe 65k on it. sad.
    off to buy oil and filter. i want to fire up the 500. Comprression was great, but there was no way to get it to run before purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by 81Brownie View Post
    The interior has a story of its own. i also scored those mint hubcaps for $50. anyway, my wife and i went on a trip to the pullnsave. out of nowhere and in between dodges, a perfect 85 silver FWBD was there. like magic. it was rolled and was maybe a day old at the yard. we took the entire interior, everything minus headliner and plastic piece that goes under the column . now, picture that interioir stuffed inside a 93 sedan deville! Just like that. what was cool is that my wife found the GOLD KEYS. we actually went back a month later and found a spare key on the trunk lid, so i brought both home along with all lock cylinders. i did forget the passenger power mirror, dimming rearrview mirror, and the front bumper. car was just perfect but rolled over. it had maybe 65k on it.
    off to buy oil and filter. i want to fire up the 500. Comprression was great, but there was no way to get it to run before purchase.
    Cool.

Shame to hear the fate of the donor, but look at it as keeping yours out of the scrappers!
    larryinalabama likes this.

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

Car looks great!'

That's a lot of spegatti under the hood, I once owned a Brougham that was a gasser converted from a Diesel. I did manage to keep all the original switches and warning lights, etc. but it wasn't easy.

Well, anyone who has done a front suspension restoration ? My only concern is damaging the control arms while replacing the bushings. all else looks straightforward and easy. now that the 368 is out,access to problems are easier. Tomorrow i hope to fire up the 500. It looks like ill have to install it with the th400, as i doubt the motor mounts alone will hold it in the frame .
    i need lots of degreaser......

Can't help on the front end work, but advice is free and worth every penny!

Take your time, clean and paint as you go. As tempting as it is to get it done, you will kick yourself every time you open the hood for not doing it when you had it opened up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.