project 81Brownie lives! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, project 81Brownie lives! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Mine and Matts. Hopefully we can add a thread from Dullahan soon. I thought Matt had another thread also. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-project.html ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: project 81Brownie lives!

Mine and Matts. Hopefully we can add a thread from Dullahan soon. I thought Matt had another thread also.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-project.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ac-500cid.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...m-project.html

81Brownie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Fleetwood Brougham D Elegance

Csbuckn..........incredible !
    Been reading about your car and the progress. Amazing.

well, here are a few pictures. again, I've been cleaning more parts from the 500. It took a week of soaking in degreaser to break off the carbon and crap accumulated in the piston ring grooves. I've always had a consistent habit of keeping all my motors spotless. oil leaks on hot exhaust and hot antifreeze make me very sick. its disgusting.
    Block prep went smooth. I chose ford (yes ford, i own a 84 Fila) semi gloss black. I'm still searching for a matching valve cover for the 500 to set up a PCV system.
    good news!! I finally opened my box of goods. in it were:
    Passenger and driver stock exhaust manifolfds Jet-hot coated
    Rear main seals
    valley pan gasket
    rubber valve cover gaskets
    ONE just one header flange
    Front cover amd water pump, oil pump, fuel pump gaskets
    maybe i missed something. a gentlemans father was goin to use this stuff for a project, in the 80s. all was stored in a box since then. now for the best part..
    $140 shipped to my home.
    the manifolds match the paint on the intake nicely! This project is going so well its therapy instead of stress. I'm done with parts hunting. all i need is oil, lots of oil. I'm hoping the Q-jet will work. otherwise, i don't plan on rebuilding it YET, i will just look out for a holley.
    also, the "ubrella" or whatever the term is for the shells that are inside the valve spring are broken.
    i read here that i can replace with old school chevy 350 seals?? I need guidance with that, please.
    again, thank you for your time.

No

Pictures. More later . i apologize for misspelled words and punctuation errors during the life of this thread.
    thanks

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if SBC valve seals will fit, the information may have meant SBC type seals. You can switch from umbrella to more traditional seals similar to SBC seals. MTS sells them, check their website. Also, I'm not seeing any pics.

Been trying for pictures..
    Attached Images

Csbuckn, i will look into that. Just wondering , how much are the stock umbrella type seals for.my 500? I noticed that in the batch of.parts that were shipped, the only gaskets missin were the head gaskets. Cool.
    as noted, here are a few more pictures.
    Attached Images

Two questions;

1)which head bolts require thread sealer?
    2)can a fellow Caddy 500 wrencher tell me where TDC is? Im not sure how the cam gear is phased.

well, i have the short block almost comleted. This weekend i hope ill have the stem seals installed on heads. Been quite busy lately. The 4T60-e on my deville is having TCC issues again.
    my wife and i are debating on selling it or driving it to the junkyard(my idea haha) and cash in while grabbing a 75 500 from an ElDawg. i will never own a fwd lac EVER. so, anyone need a well-maintained. 4.9l delivered in WA or oregon?

Peace,

No

None require thread sealer that I know of. TDC is bringing the front passenger piston up the TDC.

Correct, that i understand. my confusion is having the crank at tdc since it might be on exhaust stroke too? Cam gear bolts on but i see a small hole on it, and it can be flipped over and still bolt up. maybe im making this too hard on me, it just looks like i can accidently install both cam and crank 180degrees off.

No

----------

Sorry, cam gear can be ROTATED 180degrees.

Well the Brownie is still on hold till i get the 500 in there.
    I got to work on the heads and found two types of valve stem seals.
    i purchased sealep power ST-2092 Seals. installed them and noticed they only hold on to the stem and not the guide boss on the heads. Is that how it is supposed to be?
    I removed two valves and foud these seals. ST-2003. someone had replaced these. only two so far.
    i looked all over online for info on this. both ST-2092 AND ST-2003 seals are listed for my 500
    The '2003s were pushed onto the guide boss and it appears that no machining was done to fit them on. they were snug. i feel like i should go with the 2003s. i pretty much have heads, intake and accesories and the 500 should be ready to install.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Shouldn't the valve stem seals fit tightly onto the valve stems? If you roll the seals onto the guide bosses, they will serve no purpose whatsoever. The seals are there to prevent oil from travelling down the stems and into the cylinders. Or not. But that seems to be the common sense reason for their being there.

Cheers........R.

Just how do they actually seal? They move up and down the stem freely, why were the other push-on type ST-2003's listed for my engine if they are completely different ?
    How do the 2092s seal if they won't be stationary as the stem moves through it?

Obviously , the proper thing to do is have my heads machined for the more common or traditional seals. Again , this is the first 500 I've ever worked on to this extent.

cheers,
    No

So..... what should i do? Install the 2003s or 2092s?? Im stuck here. i really am relying on alot from everyone to help me through this. the brownie is gathering dust out there, and i couldve had the 500 assembled by now of it wasnt for this seal thing.
    please help,

No

ST-2003 seal on right, ST-2092 seal on left. what should i install?
    Attached Images

I'm not sure how they work but I put the ones on the left in my 500. Never seen the one on the right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.