1980 fleetwood with no turn signal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1980 fleetwood with no turn signal in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, hope all is well, I have a 1980 Fleetwood and for some reason I can not get the ...
    804fleetbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Fleetwood Broham

1980 fleetwood with no turn signal

Hello everyone, hope all is well,

I have a 1980 Fleetwood and for some reason I can not get the turn signals to work, neither left or right. I have
    changed every bulb on it so far and also replaced the flasher which is located on the fuse block under my
    dashboard.(if im not mistaken) any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
    -804bro

Typing from my phone, sorry about the spacing

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: 1980 fleetwood with no turn signal

There's two flashers. You probably replaced the hazard. The turn signal flasher is located up in the dash behind it. I know cause I have a 80 CDV and owned an 80 Brougham coupe. If you look under the dash, it's to the left with two wires leading out. It's attached to a clip. Here's a pic of a diagram-you can see it's towards the top behind dash
    the APEMAN likes this.

Thanks for that info I will try to get under there tomorrow. Anything I should be cautious about while under there or is it pretty much straight forward. I'm no mechanic but I always try myself before I go spending extra money, just dont have it like that

It's pretty straight forward. Not hard. What I did on mine is I removed it from clip and just let it hang so in the event I needed to change it, it'll be easier. If you can't reach up in there you can use a long screw to pry it off the clip. Do you have any pics of your ride?

Cool, thanks again for the info, as far as pics I have some on page 197 of the "post your caddy pic thread" it's the 2 tone grey Fleetwood. Nothing to special.

You're welcome. I'll check it out...

----------

Oh yeah, I remember it. I made the comment bout the paint not being original...the way it's painted..

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by 804fleetbro View Post
    Cool, thanks again for the info, as far as pics I have some on page 197 of the "post your caddy pic thread" it's the 2 tone grey Fleetwood. Nothing to special.

First of all, all rear wheel drive Cadillacs are SOMETHING SPECIAL!

Second, that one is really sharp looking with the custom two-tone!

Sorry, didn't mean to come hard at ya......

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post

First of all, all rear wheel drive Cadillacs are SOMETHING SPECIAL!

Second, that one is really sharp looking with the custom two-tone!

Sorry, didn't mean to come hard at ya......
    Smh, lol its special to me but I mean it's a Fleetwood. No special badges or anything. But anyway I think I have an electrical issue because this morning when I went to work, the left turn signal worked, but not the right one. Shoulda snapped a pic of the indicators on the hood. But I probably won't get a chance to take a look at it.
    talismandave likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You now have a spare flasher so use the good hazard one you removed to replace the turn flasher. Its heavier duty and will last longer. With the hazards on, feel the one in the fuse box. If you feel it click, that confirms you replaced the wrong one. Mine was clipped to the steering column and was a light blue color. Some are yellow, some are silver.

Alright thanks carnut for the advice, I put the old flasher back in just to check and of course it didn't change nothing, hopefully I'll be able to get under there tomorrow, my youngest don't want to cooperate lol, but it be like that 9/10 with him smh

Ok, So i finally got some free time to work on my caddy. Went to the store purchased 2 new flashers. located each one, but no luck on my problem. 1 flasher is located on the fuse block, while the other one on my car was located on the right side of the steering column. The easiest way to get to it is to remove the radio. Then you can see where its clipped. I've tried to upload pics but mines are too big??? any suggestions as far as resizing the pictures so i can post them? I know its hard to help without pics.

We dont need a picture of a flasher. Do the green indicators light up in the dash but dont blink? Have you verified the fuse is good with a test light?

Lol Carnut, no I wasn't going to post pictures of the flasher, they are pictures of what the lights are doing, but yes both indicators are green once I activate the headlight push/pull knob. And I visually inspected each fuse, as well as replaced some I felt needed replacing. As I was jumping in and out of the car checking the lights, I noticed now that my headlights are not working. As in I can pull the headlight knob all the way out and no headlights will turn on. But if I turn my high beams on, just the normal headlamps come on. Meaning only two not the full four headlights are working. I'm thinking there's something electrical behind the problem. My reasoning behind this thought is because as I was putting everything back together my passenger side turn signal bulb kept blinking as if it's a short somewhere or a bad connection.

I'm confused? You say as you were putting it back together? What beside the flasher replacement did you do... radio ? You say the right signal now works. From the front as well as the rear? Did this just happen in one day? I mean that Monday they worked fine then Tuesday they no longer worked?

As in , as I was assembling everything back together. As in headlight assembly. I disassemble each side front and rear. The housing for each. You know removal of the bezel on each side along with the removal of each headlamp/flasher housing.(don't know the simple word) but basically that plastic cover. And yes pretty much one day with each bulb out of its housing they worked. But when I put them back in and assemble them back together they seem to short out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.