Cadillac Owners Forum banner

my abandoned 80 coupe

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  dukeofny 
#1 ·
Just thought I share a few pics of how my 80 coupe has been sitting since July of last year. Attempts have been made to start it, but it won't start, as it needs a new battery and I'm not shelling $100 for a new one when it is just going to sit there. Been thinking of selling it, but uncertain as of right now.
Registration has expired since July 13, inspection sticker just last month and has been removed off the insurance

See less See more
#11 ·
Yup, I bet you do. :)

Buy a set of top to side terminal adapters.
Smart, I didn't think of that. Would it be safe to remove my battery from my daily driver? (2011 hyundai sonata)

That's a nice car, it would be better to use it as a daily driver than just let it rot away, I know from experience.
This was my daily driver for 12 years. My new daily driver is mentioned in the above comment. Aside from needing a new battery, it will also need a new rear driver side axle-as it is leaking. I do feel bad that it sits there. I do miss driving the Caddy :(

#12 ·
I wouldn't remove the battery from the hyundai...it might explode. You know how finnicky those new cars are :p

Seriously though, I imagine it would be fine aside from losing your radio presets, etc.

Or you could go to the junkyard and get a battery. Alot of the yards here have a pallet or 2 of batteries up front. Find a newish one with the right CCA rating, and fire that caddy up :)

#15 ·
DUDE . . . . .

WTF is wrong with you???? Gotta ask some a few questions about this car and its condition . . .

1. Is it a Texas car? IE NO RUST?

2. Is the interior at least as presentable as the exterior? Main thing is the carpet clean, the seats have no rips, no cracks on the dash/other interior panels?

3. Did it run/shift right before you parked it?

4. Does the A/C work?

5. Do all the other power accesories, ie windows, locks, antenna, radio, etc work?

6. Does it steer straigh down the road without too much slop? Does it ride decent, ie doesn't bottom out on big bumps, doesn't make you sea sick?

Cars of this vintage are on the rise value-wise. You have a real gem IMO being that your car is a 1980. Its the same style as the 81-84 Coupe Devilles, but it has a solid engine/transmission/rear end combo under the skin. Put a battery on it, fix that seal on the rear axle, put a for sale sign on it. I'm betting you can get every single bit of $1500 for it running right, considering the paint is faded out.

#16 ·
1. Always a Texas car since new. No rust.
2. Carpet lil worn but not torn. Front seats are torn, back small tears, leather interior. Custom seat covers. Original steering wheel replaced with an exact replacement much better condition, has all woodgrain on it. Small cracks on back side. Dash pad has cracks, has a dash mat cover, no cracks on either armrests. Small tear on door panel, passenger side. Perfect sill door plates.
3. Yes it did.
4. A/C, heater never worked in the 12 yrs I owned it, has no condensor
5. Windows work, hooked up to alarm with relay, when it arms windows go up automatically. Locks work. Antenna doesn't it was replaced and it did work now it doesn't. Original radio works, all speakers replaced, custom radio JVC in glove box, amp and subs in trunk. Seats work both driver and passenger. Twilight sentinel works, gas gauge works. Custom temp gauge installed and it has a push button start.
6. No. It pulls however rides fine/smooth, doesn't bottom out and it doesn't make you sick, lol.

----------

+1 used battery. Group 75 or 78 will drop in. If you can't get that car inside, at least get a cover on it. Or... set it free.
Car cover is in the background. It's all torn up. It wasn't though.

#20 ·
Well I tried and did not succeed. I bought those terminal adapters, placed battery in the coupe and realized the cables did not reach up to the adapters. So I said, screw it. Remoged adapters, placed back in packaging and returned them for a refund. Battery reinstalled in my daily driver and that was the end of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.