SQUEAKING noise '76
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, SQUEAKING noise '76 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hope someone can direct me in the right direction. MY 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (35,000 original miles) is squeaking ...
    Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

SQUEAKING noise '76

Hope someone can direct me in the right direction. MY 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (35,000 original miles) is squeaking over bumps and around turns. Sounds more like it is coming from the front, but I occasionally hear it in the back as well. I recently purchased the car (November) so I do not know how old the shocks are. Suspension is original in front, but springs were replaced in the rear. The car was garaged all winter and I just have gotten it out for the nice weather. Hoping a few ideas would help me when I bring it to the mechanic!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: SQUEAKING noise '76

Jack the front up and check those front wheel bearings first. Welding a bearing race to a spindle can be expensive on these old cars.
    Next determine if the noise isn't coming from the drive shaft. The noise from the shaft universals is usually a short squeak that repeats in short intervals and will go away with increased speed. Now if the car has been sitting and you are just getting it out of storage, it could be the brakes discs/drums have a little rust that will clean up in short order. Good luck.

Noise does not happen with any sort of braking. The noise does NOT follow any sort of repetition pattern and will do it intermittently as I am driving, particularly over rougher road surfaces if the car suspension has to move more frequently. Pulling into my driveway from the street (either turning from left or right side of road) will also elicit the noise until I drive up the way into the garage. It happens at low or higher speeds. No difference.
    After I parked the car in the garage last night, I pressed down on the rear quarter panels to test the shocks. (and front of car as well). I can hear the noise...but VERY faintly ...and not with each movement...weird...

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Front sway bar links? The rubber bushings on the links from sway bar to lower A frame could be dry. Spray them with WD 40 and drive it.

Noise also comes from the rear of the car...In fact, when I first bought the car and was driving it, the noise was faint and more from the rear. Now, It is much more noticeable and seems to come from front AND rear. The noise sounds more like "whoop" type of creaking.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have heard loose bumpers squeak pretty good.

NOPE...not the bumper. I did get under the car last night and noticed that the DOPES who replaced the coil springs in the rear neglected to replace the insulators at the bottom where the springs meet the suspension...they used the old ones which are now worn...and the passenger side doesn't even look like it has one. I am GUESSING that is a big part so the problem. Metal on metal just doesn't even sound good in writing.

Unload the springs and check if they slip on the mount surfaces. See if they are properly positioned. Sometimes, incorrect positioning will cause a coil to rub on the frame structure or another part, like a shock. There is often a cushion up in the frame mount, sets inside the top coil. The bottom mount, on the axle, may not have a cushion. You could fabricate a cushion, or slip pad out of a plastic soda bottle. If you find the springs improperly located, you could bring it back to the mechanic who installed them and see if will rectify the situation.

Well, last night I was thumbing through my service manual checking the height of the rear end. When I got under the car to take a proper measurement, I noticed that the car is actually sitting/riding nearly 3 inches HIGHER than what the service manual states. You can tell the car's rear end is too high...even without an exact measurement from the axle to the frame.
    Shocks in rear were replaced (I believe TWICE) and the latest shocks are air filled with the fill valve drilled into the license plate frame above the gas cap.
    So...now, my mission is to get some original style springs (Along with correct height) and typical shocks. Has anyone used Eaton Springs located in Detroit? They manufacture original blue print springs and also provide correct insulators and shocks.
    www.eatondetroitspring.com/

With that system ( air shocks ) you can adjust the height by adjusting the air pressure in accordance to the weight load of the passengers and trunk load. The original air ride system works off a sensor that adjusts the height automatically. Of course the standard system, coils and shocks, the height becomes dependent on the shocks maintaining the proper height against the springs coil pressure efficiency.

Meaning.... if I let out some air, the car would ride lower?

Yes, that is correct.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Assuming a full tank of gas, empty trunk and 2 people, you should keep 20 lb minimum air pressure in the shocks. If this car came from the factory with level ride, then the springs are specific to air ride. Meaning there would be evidence of the air compressor underhood and possibly the level sensor mounted on the frame above the rear end.

Nope. Never had it. The shocks were installed later. I am going to go with new springs from a place in Detroit that makes springs via old blueprints to exact specs.
    Then, I'm going to try Monroe Sensa Trac shocks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.